Seeking help weighing decision to bring feral cat(s) inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your comments Jcatbird Jcatbird and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . The construction continued today but thankfully they didn't seem to go over by the tree pile. At least that's one more day and night the kitties will have their home. I hope that will still be the case for many days/nights to come...it's certainly hard to say when they'll decide to remove it. Unless I knew for sure what day they are going to clear it out, I don't want really want to go out there and disturb anything...any branch gathered would require a chainsaw to be honest and that would be just as frightening as the construction equipment. It's not really feasible either way.

I wish the kitties would all just congregate in my shed. It's not looking like they are comfortable in there. It may be too close to "civilization" for them to stay for long anyway but I think another problem is one particular male cat that actually does use the shed and storage bin shelters inside pretty much every night. There were a couple of days I thought some were getting along better (other than Milly, who always avoids being around that male cat and never seemed to want to be in the shed anyway). The one night when 3 shelters were occupied at once for a while was encouraging...but even that was very tenuous and did not continue. I am hoping that male cat will be one of the first I trap and maybe that will help. Is that a reasonable thought? Maybe they just don't like to be inside an enclosed structure even with the warm beds available. I seriously don't understand cat behavior or relationships at all no matter how much I try to observe and figure it out. Tonight I observed that male cat chase another cat off my property. I've seen it happen before too but for a while he started acting much less aggressive/territorial. Maybe since the weather has been a little better for a while the hormones are raging again? I had hoped that sort of thing would be at a minimum until closer to spring. I mean, it's still winter and really cold out there! I just want them to all get along and for peace to prevail.

I am thinking the tarp idea is worth trying. They won't use anything like that if it's close to my house but maybe at the edge of my back yard. Before my shed was built (which is in the back corner) and I just had the floor joists in place, there was a massive wind and rain storm that lasted more than 2 full days. It was forecasted and we had plenty of warnings. I was really worried but the only thing I could think of do was place a tarp over some large cardboard boxes on top of the floor joists. I did my best to secure the tarp with a some cinder blocks around the edges. In the middle, I also had an old wooden shelf unit that I added an entry and exit to. I turned it over and put a blanket and a little bed inside. The storm was fierce and it rained like crazy...so I was glad to see the kitties (Lippy, Milly and their mom...funny thing is, I named her Stormy) actually did go in there at times. I at least felt my effort was not in vain and it helped them a little. Later I added some IKEA end tables on each side (much sturdier than cardboard boxes) with 2x4s across the top to drape the tarp over. They had entry/exit on both ends and I even made an "emergency exit" on one side. That stayed in place until I had the shed roof up and I added a couple of the storage bin shelters inside the shed. They would go in that tarp tent occasionally but always seemed to prefer to be out in the fields regardless of the weather. For a while, they had a particular spot deep in the tall weeds only maybe 20 feet from the edge of my back yard where they were nesting/sleeping. They seemed to like that better than anything I provided but when it started getting really cold, I stopped seeing them out there.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your comments Jcatbird Jcatbird and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . The construction continued today but thankfully they didn't seem to go over by the tree pile. At least that's one more day and night the kitties will have their home. I hope that will still be the case for many days/nights to come...it's certainly hard to say when they'll decide to remove it. Unless I knew for sure what day they are going to clear it out, I don't want really want to go out there and disturb anything...any branch gathered would require a chainsaw to be honest and that would be just as frightening as the construction equipment. It's not really feasible either way.

I wish the kitties would all just congregate in my shed. It's not looking like they are comfortable in there. It may be too close to "civilization" for them to stay for long anyway but I think another problem is one particular male cat that actually does use the shed and storage bin shelters inside pretty much every night. There were a couple of days I thought some were getting along better (other than Milly, who always avoids being around that male cat and never seemed to want to be in the shed anyway). The one night when 3 shelters were occupied at once for a while was encouraging...but even that was very tenuous and did not continue. I am hoping that male cat will be one of the first I trap and maybe that will help. Is that a reasonable thought? Maybe they just don't like to be inside an enclosed structure even with the warm beds available. I seriously don't understand cat behavior or relationships at all no matter how much I try to observe and figure it out. Tonight I observed that male cat chase another cat off my property. I've seen it happen before too but for a while he started acting much less aggressive/territorial. Maybe since the weather has been a little better for a while the hormones are raging again? I had hoped that sort of thing would be at a minimum until closer to spring. I mean, it's still winter and really cold out there! I just want them to all get along and for peace to prevail.

I am thinking the tarp idea is worth trying. They won't use anything like that if it's close to my house but maybe at the edge of my back yard. Before my shed was built (which is in the back corner) and I just had the floor joists in place, there was a massive wind and rain storm that lasted more than 2 full days. It was forecasted and we had plenty of warnings. I was really worried but the only thing I could think of do was place a tarp over some large cardboard boxes on top of the floor joists. I did my best to secure the tarp with a some cinder blocks around the edges. In the middle, I also had an old wooden shelf unit that I added an entry and exit to. I turned it over and put a blanket and a little bed inside. The storm was fierce and it rained like crazy...so I was glad to see the kitties (Lippy, Milly and their mom...funny thing is, I named her Stormy) actually did go in there at times. I at least felt my effort was not in vain and it helped them a little. Later I added some IKEA end tables on each side (much sturdier than cardboard boxes) with 2x4s across the top to drape the tarp over. They had entry/exit on both ends and I even made an "emergency exit" on one side. That stayed in place until I had the shed roof up and I added a couple of the storage bin shelters inside the shed. They would go in that tarp tent occasionally but always seemed to prefer to be out in the fields regardless of the weather. For a while, they had a particular spot deep in the tall weeds only maybe 20 feet from the edge of my back yard where they were nesting/sleeping. They seemed to like that better than anything I provided but when it started getting really cold, I stopped seeing them out there.
If you observe lions, you're looking at some of the big cousins of cats. They are the most social of feline species. Small "domestic" cats are both predators and prey, so they are always vigilant for their own protection and looking out for all opportunities to catch prey. They, like lions, defend territory and males are responsible for this, so they will chase other males away. There are hormones at work there, too, because every male (cat or other species) wants to pass on his genes. It's hardwired into them (and us). Many motivations in cats are similar to those in humans. Not all, but many. This may help you to understand why they do what they do. In your case, if (when) their preferred shelter is removed and their preferred territory is destroyed by humans, they will move. The next best place may be your property. Hopefully you can make it so. They may not prefer your shelters now, but when the changes occur, they may discover that these are good places to stay safe and dry, and even comfortable! IDK where the community cats in our neighborhood 2 locations ago preferred to stay before we were there, but once we built the cat houses and fenced the yard, they spent most, if not all, of their time with us. Regular food and clean water, sleeping cubicles with soft bedding, and a yard that could not be accessed by threats were powerful draws for them.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat that gets neutered or spayed will help. Every cat done lessens the problems.
I set up multiple tarps shelters just to give options and separation for the cats being chased off. Spreading shelters to each corner and maybe one close to your house will probably get occupied. The cats will choose the safest snd most comfortable places they can find so it sounds like you already know what works for them. They came once, they will again. Keep food a bit away from sleeping areas. If you can transfer their scent to your shelters , they will find them. Cats are smart!

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're so kind Jcatbird Jcatbird and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 to continue posting your input. I appreciate it immensely.

Ok so I'm actually going to be able to get some assistance from a couple of volunteers who I'm happy to say have been really wonderful so far. They are pretty experienced with TNR and feral colonies. They came by yesterday and showed me how the traps operate and we discussed some strategies, etc. We also discussed the situation with the tree pile. They suggested the idea of what they called a "slow release". I think it sounds like an option at this point because I know we need to get the kitties away from the tree pile. I'm looking for any and all thoughts and suggestions about this.

I'll be able to borrow a 4' x 8' enclosure from Best Friends where (assuming I can trap them) I guess I would keep them on my property. Apparently this is more of a relocation technique and you would normally release them after they are used to being on the premises for a period of time. Where they are already familiar with my yard and being fed here, this seems to be a bit of a different situation but maybe it would serve a similar purpose. At the very minimum, they would be safe from the disaster that could easily happen with the construction crew at the tree pile. I believe there are 4 kitties that use the tree pile as their main (or only) source of protection/shelter. This consists of the Milly, Lippy, their mom (Stormy), and another little guy/gal who has been friendly with Milly and Lippy since they were quite young. He/she seemed to try to integrate with the family back when they were still always together. As far as I know, none of other cats use the tree pile as their main source of shelter. With that being the case, I would release any other cats I trap after they are spayed/neutered. I believe the 4 I would keep in the enclosure would all get along together since they are family and know each other although I know they seem to like their space out in the fields. The shed would still be accessible for other cats but there is just the one adult male cat that currently uses it (and he's in there every night at this point).

So that's what's on the table right now. The suggestion is that I put the 4x8 enclosure inside my shed. That way, they are further protected from the elements. They will have shelters and bedding/blankets, and hopefully other various "furniture" in the enclosure. At a minimum, I would hold them until the tree pile is removed. Then there would be a decision as to whether I should release them back to the fields and hope they can find a new shelter or come up with some other option.

Does this idea sound reasonable? Is there any chance this would be successful?
The biggest concerns I have are:
1. They would be confined and no longer have their freedom. They may not adapt.
2. It gets down to 20 degrees and sometimes colder. I would put some insulated shelters in the enclosure but what if they refuse to use the shelters. Milly, for one, has never used the shelters.
3. They would be safe but they wouldn't necessarily realize they are safe. Would they figure it out? Or would they think they are actually in permanent danger?
4. What if they feel so stressed from being confined and not being able to escape that they won't even eat/drink? Not to mention that they'll surely think they are doomed every time I come to bring food or clean litter boxes.
5. What if it turns out they are not able to get along in such tight quarters?

Many thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts/suggestions and your expertise.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so kind Jcatbird Jcatbird and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 to continue posting your input. I appreciate it immensely.

Ok so I'm actually going to be able to get some assistance from a couple of volunteers who I'm happy to say have been really wonderful so far. They are pretty experienced with TNR and feral colonies. They came by yesterday and showed me how the traps operate and we discussed some strategies, etc. We also discussed the situation with the tree pile. They suggested the idea of what they called a "slow release". I think it sounds like an option at this point because I know we need to get the kitties away from the tree pile. I'm looking for any and all thoughts and suggestions about this.

I'll be able to borrow a 4' x 8' enclosure from Best Friends where (assuming I can trap them) I guess I would keep them on my property. Apparently this is more of a relocation technique and you would normally release them after they are used to being on the premises for a period of time. Where they are already familiar with my yard and being fed here, this seems to be a bit of a different situation but maybe it would serve a similar purpose. At the very minimum, they would be safe from the disaster that could easily happen with the construction crew at the tree pile. I believe there are 4 kitties that use the tree pile as their main (or only) source of protection/shelter. This consists of the Milly, Lippy, their mom (Stormy), and another little guy/gal who has been friendly with Milly and Lippy since they were quite young. He/she seemed to try to integrate with the family back when they were still always together. As far as I know, none of other cats use the tree pile as their main source of shelter. With that being the case, I would release any other cats I trap after they are spayed/neutered. I believe the 4 I would keep in the enclosure would all get along together since they are family and know each other although I know they seem to like their space out in the fields. The shed would still be accessible for other cats but there is just the one adult male cat that currently uses it (and he's in there every night at this point).

So that's what's on the table right now. The suggestion is that I put the 4x8 enclosure inside my shed. That way, they are further protected from the elements. They will have shelters and bedding/blankets, and hopefully other various "furniture" in the enclosure. At a minimum, I would hold them until the tree pile is removed. Then there would be a decision as to whether I should release them back to the fields and hope they can find a new shelter or come up with some other option.

Does this idea sound reasonable? Is there any chance this would be successful?
The biggest concerns I have are:
1. They would be confined and no longer have their freedom. They may not adapt.
2. It gets down to 20 degrees and sometimes colder. I would put some insulated shelters in the enclosure but what if they refuse to use the shelters. Milly, for one, has never used the shelters.
3. They would be safe but they wouldn't necessarily realize they are safe. Would they figure it out? Or would they think they are actually in permanent danger?
4. What if they feel so stressed from being confined and not being able to escape that they won't even eat/drink? Not to mention that they'll surely think they are doomed every time I come to bring food or clean litter boxes.
5. What if it turns out they are not able to get along in such tight quarters?

Many thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts/suggestions and your expertise.
Excellent about Best Friends and the shelter!!! USE IT!
Well, as to most of your questions, you are overthinking. No one knows what another person, cat, or other living being is thinking or feeling unless it is shared. Don't go looking for trouble. Do your best, with the knowledge and help you have, and more than likely, it will work out very well. Look at the reality: the brush pile WILL be cleared, construction WILL occur, and the cats WILL NOT have all of their former territory. Cats are adaptable, resourceful, strong, and intelligent. They will know that they have to change their territory and they will look for places that are safe(r). You say one adult male is using the shed. He is showing everyone else that it is safe just by being there every night. Others may join him, especially after spay/neuter occurs. You will be offering them regular food, clean water, and safe shelter. They may -- or may not -- like/trust humans at this point, but all that good stuff is not lost on them and they will certainly come to see you as an ally if not a friend. That's what happened with the community cats 2 locations ago. Even the matriarch came to trust us enough to let us get her vetted, and adopt her. She was always quite shy, but she would occasionally let me stroke her a little. Her extended family members were mostly of like mind except for one of her sons, Raj Kumar, who was always very wary but did let us get him neutered and vetted.
I never saw any of the community cats fight. I never heard any of them fight. Generally, in a colony, cats will establish positions in the hierarchy and generally, survival takes precedence over anything else. Once they are spayed/neutered, hormones will calm and there will be even less reason for aggro.
Give them, and yourself, every chance. Things take time, but I believe they can certainly work out to the benefit of all.

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a couple of updates if anyone is following. If not, I guess I'm just writing things down to help me think them through.

I now have the 4' x 8' enclosure but needs to be assembled in my shed. I'll try to furnish it as comfortably as I can but it's certainly not ideal. A few kitties (I'm thinking 4 including Milly, Lippy, their mom Stormy and pal Tiny Tuck) can go in there short term (I still don't know if it's a very good situation). I'll have to just release any others I trap once they are fixed. One thought I've been having is that I would certainly rather put the enclosure in my garage (3 car garage so there's room). It would be somewhat warmer (doesn't usually get below freezing), there's much better access to electricity for heated beds, light, etc. and it would be easier for me to take care of their meals and litter boxes, etc. The downside is there are no windows for natural light and they would be somewhere unfamiliar and probably scary compared to the shed where I think they'd know where they are. Also, anytime I open/close the garage door and start my car, it would probably frighten them pretty bad. Maybe they'd get used to it. I don't know if those cons outweigh the pros. I keep debating. If anyone has any input, please let me know. I'll have to decide in the next day or two.

I spoke with the owner and job site supervisor of the excavation company doing the construction. Some good news and then some not so good news. The good news first- they were very nice and understanding and I was able to learn that they don't have plans to remove the tree pile until April. It will be nice not having to wake up every morning in a panic that today will be the day disaster could occur. The bad news is sort of what I suspected all along but had hoped otherwise. All the fields in the immediate area will be developed soon. They will actually have all infrastructure in and roads paved by July. That's a pretty quick timeline for all the kitty's habitat to disappear. There are still some fields way over on the other side of my neighborhood that won't be affected. Maybe they will be able to migrate to that area, although from what I can tell, there are no obvious natural shelters in those fields. Also the kitties won't be able to get to my property without navigating through the neighborhood streets rather than just popping in from the fields currently behind my house. I think they can manage that but would certainly only be late at night.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The garage will work. Yes, we are following your thread! I may be in and out but will check in. You do have support here! Lots of it.,
The cats will have to adjust but far better than trying to survive in a vanishing habitat. For any that cannot be inside, start a feral shelter where they can take refuge if needed. It can be as simple as the tarps we talked about and you can always adjust things as you go. I am still shifting things here at times. All this takes some working out and ideas will come to you as you go along snd as you observe the kitties. Proceed as you can. The cats will follow your lead as they start to understand. I am so glad you spoke to the people working there.Great start! Stay in touch with them and I can tell you that going over once in awhile to take some bottled water or express thanks will go a long way towards cooperation and current information. Bravo! :cheerleader: :clap2:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a couple of updates if anyone is following. If not, I guess I'm just writing things down to help me think them through.

I now have the 4' x 8' enclosure but needs to be assembled in my shed. I'll try to furnish it as comfortably as I can but it's certainly not ideal. A few kitties (I'm thinking 4 including Milly, Lippy, their mom Stormy and pal Tiny Tuck) can go in there short term (I still don't know if it's a very good situation). I'll have to just release any others I trap once they are fixed. One thought I've been having is that I would certainly rather put the enclosure in my garage (3 car garage so there's room). It would be somewhat warmer (doesn't usually get below freezing), there's much better access to electricity for heated beds, light, etc. and it would be easier for me to take care of their meals and litter boxes, etc. The downside is there are no windows for natural light and they would be somewhere unfamiliar and probably scary compared to the shed where I think they'd know where they are. Also, anytime I open/close the garage door and start my car, it would probably frighten them pretty bad. Maybe they'd get used to it. I don't know if those cons outweigh the pros. I keep debating. If anyone has any input, please let me know. I'll have to decide in the next day or two.

I spoke with the owner and job site supervisor of the excavation company doing the construction. Some good news and then some not so good news. The good news first- they were very nice and understanding and I was able to learn that they don't have plans to remove the tree pile until April. It will be nice not having to wake up every morning in a panic that today will be the day disaster could occur. The bad news is sort of what I suspected all along but had hoped otherwise. All the fields in the immediate area will be developed soon. They will actually have all infrastructure in and roads paved by July. That's a pretty quick timeline for all the kitty's habitat to disappear. There are still some fields way over on the other side of my neighborhood that won't be affected. Maybe they will be able to migrate to that area, although from what I can tell, there are no obvious natural shelters in those fields. Also the kitties won't be able to get to my property without navigating through the neighborhood streets rather than just popping in from the fields currently behind my house. I think they can manage that but would certainly only be late at night.
As always, props to Jcatbird Jcatbird ! but I have to disagree on the garage. Auto fumes and noise in a dark atmosphere would not be what I would choose. I would have the shelter in my back yard, as well as any other shelters needed, as per Jcatbird's suggestions.
Yes, that is a drastic change! but realistically speaking, these changes are happening all over the world, and animals and people are forced to adapt. Cats are resilient, strong, adaptable and intelligent. They will work this out, and with your help, they will have safe haven with you. I don't see anything drastic there at all. There are lots of suggestions for making shelters for outdoor cats online, including:
Community Cat Shelter Options Gallery
and:
DIY Outdoor Cat Feeding Station with tips
They can be very affordable and easy to make, all the way up to $$$ and amazingly designed, such as:
catioshowcase.com
A quick trip to a big box store for storage containers with lids, and a little DIY, will result in nice, cozy shelters they can use when they choose. I would avoid anything electric outdoors where moisture may be an issue. Microfiber blankets, self-insulating cat beds, or even straw make good liners for these shelters.

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a couple of weeks and I wanted to share the latest. Quite a bit has happened but I feel like I've barely begun and I regret to report I'm really still no closer to saving the kitties living in the tree pile. I've observed that they are hunkering down and remain inside even while giant noisy construction machinery digs and bulldozes sometimes only feet from the tree pile. Once in a while during the day, I’ll see a fluffy kitty pop out for a moment or two and then disappear back inside. It seems they feel the tree pile is their ultimate safe spot and despite how stressful it must be to have the construction going on so close, they haven’t shown any signs of abandoning it for quieter areas, including my back yard of anywhere in the immediate vicinity that would be safely away from the construction.

The decision and my intention at this point is to try to bring all 4 of them inside and try to socialize them. The prospect seems so daunting- yet the thing that really keeps me up at night is my fear that I won't actually be able to trap them. Time is not on my side and Milly for one is so afraid of everything, she will go nowhere near the inside of my shed, any shelter I’ve made, and especially not a trap. Despite my doubts about trapping them, I purchased 2 "catteries" that can be connected. If things work out, they will go in a spare bedroom and will serve as the first stop for the kitties. Eventually, the hope is that I can let them out into the room and later...maybe much later...they can have access to the whole house.

I do have a story to recount. Last Thursday evening I finally set a trap for the first time. What happened next was certainly unexpected. What I found out a little while later was even less expected. And in my book, what happened today was the least expected thing of all.

Not more than 20 minutes after I had set the trap, I got an alert from my shed camera. I thought it must be a false alarm because it was still light out and it's very unusual for any activity out there until after dark. But I checked the footage and much to my surprise, the kitty that had been staying in one of the shelters in my shed at night for a while was stuck in the trap! I had given this particular kitty the name MooMoo because he's white with big black spots like a holstein cow. He had no idea at that moment that this frightening ordeal in this small metal prison would turn out to be a new beginning for him. I ran down to the shed and pulled the sheet over the rest of the trap and took him in my garage. He was yeowling and thrashing pretty good. I left him in the garage and went inside in hopes that he would soon calm down. After a while, I went back out and although he was still yeowling, he wasn't thrashing as much. I brought him inside, put him in the bathroom, and left him alone. I checked on him a few times before going to bed. I set up a camera under the sheet to keep an eye on him. We all had a fairly sleepless night, including my indoor cat (Puffy). Puffy usually visits me a few times every night for some cuddle time but he doesn't stay or sleep in my room. That night, he stayed in my room the entire night. MooMoo was doing his best escape artist impression and would frequently bang the cage, paw and kick at all sides of it, and generally do everything he could think of to get out of there. I felt so bad all night. I wondered why he wouldn't just calm down and stay still. Based on what I had read, I was under the impression that feral cats would typically be quiet and still once they are trapped and covered up. Hmmm.

The following morning I got ready, strapped the trap in my car and got him down to the vet. Poor little guy was worn out but still yowling faintly although he seemed to realize he was defeated. He had a big gash on his nose- trap nose, as I think it's known- from trying to push his way through the cage. It was heartbreaking but I felt a bit of relief as I drove home from the vet. They called me that afternoon and said his surgery went well and that I could pick him up. That's when they told me something I wasn't prepared for. MooMoo was friendly with people and not actually a feral at all! For a couple of months I had observed him living outdoors, roaming the fields behind my house, sleeping in my shed, interacting (sometimes good, sometimes not) with the other ferals as if that had always been his life...it had never once occurred to me that he could be socialized. Boy was I wrong.

I picked him up from the vet and got him back home. The plan had always been to keep him in the trap again in my bathroom overnight so he could recover and then release him back into the fields behind my house. After all, the tree pile kitties would be more than I could take in as it was. Well, I knew I would not have the heart to send him on his way back to a difficult life outside knowing that he was socialized and friendly. So I set him up in the 4 x 8 enclosure in my garage with a heated bed along with a couple of heat lamps overhead. Not ideal, but the best I could do under the circumstances. Over the next couple of days, I learned (in partial disbelief) that he adored being scratched and petted, absolutely loved affection, loved to nuzzle and snuggle, was a total lap kitty and only seemed happy when I would come in the enclosure with him. He needed a home where he could be love and be loved.

Yesterday, I went to work in the morning dialing every rescue and shelter I could find in the area. It was a discouraging day to say the least. No response from many. No openings at the ones I was able to get a hold of. The county shelter (they are no-kill) was very nice but they are not supposed to take cats with tipped ears. I suppose if I had known he was friendly, I could have asked the vet not to tip his ear, but I had no idea. Not sure they could have complied anyway since I had used a Best Friends Animal Society voucher. I was disheartened.

Meanwhile, I had observed a problem with MooMoo. I didn't think too much of it the first night. But the second night it got my attention so I did some googling. MooMoo appeared to be experiencing rectal prolapse. Not only that, but at one point, I had observed a white worm thingy poking out of his bum. Apparently tapeworm. I had no idea what this all meant in terms of his overall health prognosis, but to me it seemed grave. I went to bed with a heavy heart. I called the vet today and they had me bring him back in. After a quick examination, the vet did not seem concerned in the least. Most likely he had been straining to poo with some post surgery constipation. He would get treated for the tapeworm which could also be a factor.

There were a few vet techs that were just loving him and holding him, etc. He seemed to really enjoy getting all that attention. It was really amazing... he acted so comfortable being indoors and loved being held by everyone…then he plopped down on the floor like he was home and just seemed really happy. I still can't believe he is the same kitty I had been seeing outside in the fields, in my shed, etc. for the past couple of months presumably with no human interaction. Then, much to my surprise, one of the vet techs announced she wanted to keep him and offered to take him home with her! She said she has 3 dogs though so she would have to see how the introductions go. However, apparently the vet had been in touch with a rescue and had already arranged for MooMoo to get taken in so they could try to find him a home. So if things don't work out with the vet tech, they will take him to the rescue. I was blown away because I had been on the phone all day yesterday trying to find a rescue that would take him with no luck. Hopefully MooMoo is on his way to the happy loving home he deserves and won't have to live outside on his own ever again :)

I know some of you have homed/rehomed many kitties. Well, everyone starts with one right? Although it's not 100% a done deal just yet, I feel positive that MooMoo is in good hands, will be loved, and will have a much better life from now on. It was a bit difficult to let him go even though I only had him 3 short days.

IMG_5560.jpg

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story! MooMoo is a handsome little guy and is now on his way to a safe and loving life thanks to you. It is great you had such a good experience with your vet and the vet techs, who now might be allies in your plans to trap and care for the others. You will have set-backs, but also some happy surprises like MooMoo's story! Thanks for caring for all these kitties. Keep up the good work!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a couple of weeks and I wanted to share the latest. Quite a bit has happened but I feel like I've barely begun and I regret to report I'm really still no closer to saving the kitties living in the tree pile. I've observed that they are hunkering down and remain inside even while giant noisy construction machinery digs and bulldozes sometimes only feet from the tree pile. Once in a while during the day, I’ll see a fluffy kitty pop out for a moment or two and then disappear back inside. It seems they feel the tree pile is their ultimate safe spot and despite how stressful it must be to have the construction going on so close, they haven’t shown any signs of abandoning it for quieter areas, including my back yard of anywhere in the immediate vicinity that would be safely away from the construction.

The decision and my intention at this point is to try to bring all 4 of them inside and try to socialize them. The prospect seems so daunting- yet the thing that really keeps me up at night is my fear that I won't actually be able to trap them. Time is not on my side and Milly for one is so afraid of everything, she will go nowhere near the inside of my shed, any shelter I’ve made, and especially not a trap. Despite my doubts about trapping them, I purchased 2 "catteries" that can be connected. If things work out, they will go in a spare bedroom and will serve as the first stop for the kitties. Eventually, the hope is that I can let them out into the room and later...maybe much later...they can have access to the whole house.

I do have a story to recount. Last Thursday evening I finally set a trap for the first time. What happened next was certainly unexpected. What I found out a little while later was even less expected. And in my book, what happened today was the least expected thing of all.

Not more than 20 minutes after I had set the trap, I got an alert from my shed camera. I thought it must be a false alarm because it was still light out and it's very unusual for any activity out there until after dark. But I checked the footage and much to my surprise, the kitty that had been staying in one of the shelters in my shed at night for a while was stuck in the trap! I had given this particular kitty the name MooMoo because he's white with big black spots like a holstein cow. He had no idea at that moment that this frightening ordeal in this small metal prison would turn out to be a new beginning for him. I ran down to the shed and pulled the sheet over the rest of the trap and took him in my garage. He was yeowling and thrashing pretty good. I left him in the garage and went inside in hopes that he would soon calm down. After a while, I went back out and although he was still yeowling, he wasn't thrashing as much. I brought him inside, put him in the bathroom, and left him alone. I checked on him a few times before going to bed. I set up a camera under the sheet to keep an eye on him. We all had a fairly sleepless night, including my indoor cat (Puffy). Puffy usually visits me a few times every night for some cuddle time but he doesn't stay or sleep in my room. That night, he stayed in my room the entire night. MooMoo was doing his best escape artist impression and would frequently bang the cage, paw and kick at all sides of it, and generally do everything he could think of to get out of there. I felt so bad all night. I wondered why he wouldn't just calm down and stay still. Based on what I had read, I was under the impression that feral cats would typically be quiet and still once they are trapped and covered up. Hmmm.

The following morning I got ready, strapped the trap in my car and got him down to the vet. Poor little guy was worn out but still yowling faintly although he seemed to realize he was defeated. He had a big gash on his nose- trap nose, as I think it's known- from trying to push his way through the cage. It was heartbreaking but I felt a bit of relief as I drove home from the vet. They called me that afternoon and said his surgery went well and that I could pick him up. That's when they told me something I wasn't prepared for. MooMoo was friendly with people and not actually a feral at all! For a couple of months I had observed him living outdoors, roaming the fields behind my house, sleeping in my shed, interacting (sometimes good, sometimes not) with the other ferals as if that had always been his life...it had never once occurred to me that he could be socialized. Boy was I wrong.

I picked him up from the vet and got him back home. The plan had always been to keep him in the trap again in my bathroom overnight so he could recover and then release him back into the fields behind my house. After all, the tree pile kitties would be more than I could take in as it was. Well, I knew I would not have the heart to send him on his way back to a difficult life outside knowing that he was socialized and friendly. So I set him up in the 4 x 8 enclosure in my garage with a heated bed along with a couple of heat lamps overhead. Not ideal, but the best I could do under the circumstances. Over the next couple of days, I learned (in partial disbelief) that he adored being scratched and petted, absolutely loved affection, loved to nuzzle and snuggle, was a total lap kitty and only seemed happy when I would come in the enclosure with him. He needed a home where he could be love and be loved.

Yesterday, I went to work in the morning dialing every rescue and shelter I could find in the area. It was a discouraging day to say the least. No response from many. No openings at the ones I was able to get a hold of. The county shelter (they are no-kill) was very nice but they are not supposed to take cats with tipped ears. I suppose if I had known he was friendly, I could have asked the vet not to tip his ear, but I had no idea. Not sure they could have complied anyway since I had used a Best Friends Animal Society voucher. I was disheartened.

Meanwhile, I had observed a problem with MooMoo. I didn't think too much of it the first night. But the second night it got my attention so I did some googling. MooMoo appeared to be experiencing rectal prolapse. Not only that, but at one point, I had observed a white worm thingy poking out of his bum. Apparently tapeworm. I had no idea what this all meant in terms of his overall health prognosis, but to me it seemed grave. I went to bed with a heavy heart. I called the vet today and they had me bring him back in. After a quick examination, the vet did not seem concerned in the least. Most likely he had been straining to poo with some post surgery constipation. He would get treated for the tapeworm which could also be a factor.

There were a few vet techs that were just loving him and holding him, etc. He seemed to really enjoy getting all that attention. It was really amazing... he acted so comfortable being indoors and loved being held by everyone…then he plopped down on the floor like he was home and just seemed really happy. I still can't believe he is the same kitty I had been seeing outside in the fields, in my shed, etc. for the past couple of months presumably with no human interaction. Then, much to my surprise, one of the vet techs announced she wanted to keep him and offered to take him home with her! She said she has 3 dogs though so she would have to see how the introductions go. However, apparently the vet had been in touch with a rescue and had already arranged for MooMoo to get taken in so they could try to find him a home. So if things don't work out with the vet tech, they will take him to the rescue. I was blown away because I had been on the phone all day yesterday trying to find a rescue that would take him with no luck. Hopefully MooMoo is on his way to the happy loving home he deserves and won't have to live outside on his own ever again :)

I know some of you have homed/rehomed many kitties. Well, everyone starts with one right? Although it's not 100% a done deal just yet, I feel positive that MooMoo is in good hands, will be loved, and will have a much better life from now on. It was a bit difficult to let him go even though I only had him 3 short days.

View attachment 410304
(Echoing Avery's thoughts) Isn't he handsome!!! TYSM for helping him and caring for and about him. Hoping he gets a dog-free home, actually.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a wonderful story! In any group of outdoor cats, there is a chance that there is an abandoned pet, a feral who has complete capability of socializing himself to humans, or a friendly stray. I have often seen, within a feral litter, it run the gamut from one being a complete lap cat to one remaining a true, wild feral. I said this in a previous post, but it bears repeating. Studies have even been done about this. MooMoo is getting his chance at a home and you should feel so proud that you helped him.

As for the others, keep the traps up and running. You may get more surprises. I had a situation 4 summers ago where I had to trap a large number of cats and TNR them due to a litter being born unexpectedly. I worked with more than one trap and cats who had clearly seen others trapped walked into an open trap within minutes of the first one.

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Checking in again with a couple of stories to share. Setbacks? Check. More surprises? Check.

I trapped a little black kitty last Thursday night. Turned out to be a little girl less than a year old. She is the offspring of a bonded pair that actually were the original kitties I started feeding last winter. I believe there were more kittens but I had not seen any members of this family for quite a long time. One night during a pretty bad snowstorm, they all 3 came together. I started seeing them more often after that- especially, it seems, with MooMoo no longer around. On this occasion, the dad and daughter came together. She went right in the trap and triggered it. Meanwhile the dad was only slightly started and kept right on eating! He only scurried off when I went out a few minutes later to get the trapped kitty. I kept her in the bathroom again overnight due to the cold. Being a true feral, she did not make much noise all night...although on a few occasions hissed and struck the cage quite hard a few times when I was adjusting the sheet or checking on her. I got her in to the vet first thing Friday morning. I waited and waited all afternoon for the vet to call and let me know when to come pick her up. No call came.

Meanwhile that day I sort of "accidentally" ended up trapping another kitty- a brown/gray tabby I had been seeing out in the fields quite a bit recently during the day as well as late at night on my security cams when he would come to get a bite to eat. I had left a trap out during the day but I hardly ever have any kitties come into my yard in the daytime so I really didn't expect to trap one. I took him (I had already observed on one occasion that he was an unaltered male) into my garage to get a better look at him. Immediately he was meowing and looking at me not in fear but as if to say "let me outta here!" Much different behavior than the little black feral...more like what I had seen from MooMoo. Too bad with MooMoo, I hadn't recognized the signs that he was friendly and just really unhappy about being in the trap. After observing him and thinking it over for a while, I decided to let him out of the trap and into the enclosure in my garage that I had kept MooMoo in. Once I let him out, it was 100% clear he was friendly. It was also pretty clear he had been living outside. Of course there's no way to be certain, but my best guess was he was another abandoned pet. I didn't have a vet appointment and new it would be Monday at the soonest so I was very relieved that he'd be fine in the enclosure and I could handle him to get him to the vet whenever I could get an appointment.

At 5:30pm, I finally called the vet about the little black feral. They said they had been trying to get a hold of me (apparently the new girl had reversed some digits in my phone number even though they had all my information from previous visits). My heart sunk when they told me the news. The vet had about 9 surgeries that day and was just starting another and would not able to get to my feral. At this point she had been in the trap for 24 hours. I knew that I would have to release her but it was so hard to think that she would not be spayed and would probably not enter a trap again after this. So in desperation, I reached out to a vet that I had met who also owns and operates a local rescue. As amazing as I knew she was/is, I was rather doubtful that she would be able to help on such short notice. Fortunately, I was wrong. She told me she would not be able to get the kitty spayed that night but to come to the rescue and there we could transfer her to a bigger cage so at least she would no longer have to endure the trap confinement. I was so happy/relieved that I totally forgot to mention the tabby I had in the garage. I didn't want to push my luck, but I called her back just to ask. She graciously and compassionately replied that she would take care of him too. Wow. Never mind the fact that she cares for upwards of 100 kitties at the shelter after her day job as a full time vet. Never mind that many days she doesn't leave the shelter until after midnight. Wow. Never mind the fact that she gets up at 5am for work at her vet practice. Did I say wow? Like many of you, she has completely dedicated her life to helping kitties.

She called me on Saturday night to let me know she had completed both surgeries and they went really well. Surprise- the little feral kitty was recently pregnant. I found it quite miraculous that after being so close to having to release her without surgery, we not only were we able to get her spayed, but also prevent a new litter in the near future and who knows how many throughout her lifetime. I picked her up that night and kept her in my bathroom (this time in a larger carrier and not the awful trap) again overnight. She finally ate the wet food with her dewormer the next morning and I was all ready to let her go. It was a thrill to open up the trap and watch her immediately dart off for freedom into the field behind my home. Funny thing was seeing her show up for dinner that evening happily reunited with her mom and dad like nothing ever happened. Trapping the mom and dad is in the plans but since they seem to live to the south and not in immediate danger of the construction zone, they aren't as high priority as the tree pile kitties (unfortunately no luck trapping them yet).

As for the tabby, I got him back into the enclosure in my garage which was still all set up with everything I had for MooMoo. I was glad he was friendly, but again I was left with the choice of letting him go back into the fields or trying to find a home for him. I certainly felt like I owed it to him to give him a chance. It was then I decided to name him "Chance". I also felt like it was by some impossibly random magical twist of luck and fate that MooMoo found a home and I wondered if I could possibly get so lucky a second time. Well after getting to know Chance on Sunday and learning that he, like MooMoo, very much enjoyed affection and lap time, I spent the day on Monday again contacting shelters and rescues. For most of the day, it went kind of like I expected. No responses or no openings. Then I tried a rescue that I had almost overlooked, probably because they didn't even have a website. I almost didn't believe I was hearing correctly when the kind voice on the other end of the phone said yes, she would take him. She even talked to me for a good 20 minutes and I quickly learned that she was also a very dedicated and compassionate kitty hero. Two days later, I met her at the vet to get Chance his microchip and she took him from there. She told me that she had a nice foster already lined up. I found out the next day that magically a spot opened up at a nearby PetSmart and Chance would be going up for adoption there. Another impossible random twist of luck and fate? Maybe so. The adoption rates apparently have been relatively decent so hopefully I'll be able to hear soon that he has found a nice home. Here's a pic of Chance curled up for a nap in my lap.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want you to know…..:clap2::goldstar:
Like you, I started with one and little idea of how I would ever proceed but “Chance” can come around! Once the ball started rolling I learned as I went and things sometimes just plain fell into place. Expecting all answers from shelters to be no and then suddenly hearing, yes. I’m fact, getting a call saying they “needed” kitties! Just keep doing what you are doing! You have us all watching, hoping and sending :vibes::redheartpump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Checking in again with a couple of stories to share. Setbacks? Check. More surprises? Check.

I trapped a little black kitty last Thursday night. Turned out to be a little girl less than a year old. She is the offspring of a bonded pair that actually were the original kitties I started feeding last winter. I believe there were more kittens but I had not seen any members of this family for quite a long time. One night during a pretty bad snowstorm, they all 3 came together. I started seeing them more often after that- especially, it seems, with MooMoo no longer around. On this occasion, the dad and daughter came together. She went right in the trap and triggered it. Meanwhile the dad was only slightly started and kept right on eating! He only scurried off when I went out a few minutes later to get the trapped kitty. I kept her in the bathroom again overnight due to the cold. Being a true feral, she did not make much noise all night...although on a few occasions hissed and struck the cage quite hard a few times when I was adjusting the sheet or checking on her. I got her in to the vet first thing Friday morning. I waited and waited all afternoon for the vet to call and let me know when to come pick her up. No call came.

Meanwhile that day I sort of "accidentally" ended up trapping another kitty- a brown/gray tabby I had been seeing out in the fields quite a bit recently during the day as well as late at night on my security cams when he would come to get a bite to eat. I had left a trap out during the day but I hardly ever have any kitties come into my yard in the daytime so I really didn't expect to trap one. I took him (I had already observed on one occasion that he was an unaltered male) into my garage to get a better look at him. Immediately he was meowing and looking at me not in fear but as if to say "let me outta here!" Much different behavior than the little black feral...more like what I had seen from MooMoo. Too bad with MooMoo, I hadn't recognized the signs that he was friendly and just really unhappy about being in the trap. After observing him and thinking it over for a while, I decided to let him out of the trap and into the enclosure in my garage that I had kept MooMoo in. Once I let him out, it was 100% clear he was friendly. It was also pretty clear he had been living outside. Of course there's no way to be certain, but my best guess was he was another abandoned pet. I didn't have a vet appointment and new it would be Monday at the soonest so I was very relieved that he'd be fine in the enclosure and I could handle him to get him to the vet whenever I could get an appointment.

At 5:30pm, I finally called the vet about the little black feral. They said they had been trying to get a hold of me (apparently the new girl had reversed some digits in my phone number even though they had all my information from previous visits). My heart sunk when they told me the news. The vet had about 9 surgeries that day and was just starting another and would not able to get to my feral. At this point she had been in the trap for 24 hours. I knew that I would have to release her but it was so hard to think that she would not be spayed and would probably not enter a trap again after this. So in desperation, I reached out to a vet that I had met who also owns and operates a local rescue. As amazing as I knew she was/is, I was rather doubtful that she would be able to help on such short notice. Fortunately, I was wrong. She told me she would not be able to get the kitty spayed that night but to come to the rescue and there we could transfer her to a bigger cage so at least she would no longer have to endure the trap confinement. I was so happy/relieved that I totally forgot to mention the tabby I had in the garage. I didn't want to push my luck, but I called her back just to ask. She graciously and compassionately replied that she would take care of him too. Wow. Never mind the fact that she cares for upwards of 100 kitties at the shelter after her day job as a full time vet. Never mind that many days she doesn't leave the shelter until after midnight. Wow. Never mind the fact that she gets up at 5am for work at her vet practice. Did I say wow? Like many of you, she has completely dedicated her life to helping kitties.

She called me on Saturday night to let me know she had completed both surgeries and they went really well. Surprise- the little feral kitty was recently pregnant. I found it quite miraculous that after being so close to having to release her without surgery, we not only were we able to get her spayed, but also prevent a new litter in the near future and who knows how many throughout her lifetime. I picked her up that night and kept her in my bathroom (this time in a larger carrier and not the awful trap) again overnight. She finally ate the wet food with her dewormer the next morning and I was all ready to let her go. It was a thrill to open up the trap and watch her immediately dart off for freedom into the field behind my home. Funny thing was seeing her show up for dinner that evening happily reunited with her mom and dad like nothing ever happened. Trapping the mom and dad is in the plans but since they seem to live to the south and not in immediate danger of the construction zone, they aren't as high priority as the tree pile kitties (unfortunately no luck trapping them yet).

As for the tabby, I got him back into the enclosure in my garage which was still all set up with everything I had for MooMoo. I was glad he was friendly, but again I was left with the choice of letting him go back into the fields or trying to find a home for him. I certainly felt like I owed it to him to give him a chance. It was then I decided to name him "Chance". I also felt like it was by some impossibly random magical twist of luck and fate that MooMoo found a home and I wondered if I could possibly get so lucky a second time. Well after getting to know Chance on Sunday and learning that he, like MooMoo, very much enjoyed affection and lap time, I spent the day on Monday again contacting shelters and rescues. For most of the day, it went kind of like I expected. No responses or no openings. Then I tried a rescue that I had almost overlooked, probably because they didn't even have a website. I almost didn't believe I was hearing correctly when the kind voice on the other end of the phone said yes, she would take him. She even talked to me for a good 20 minutes and I quickly learned that she was also a very dedicated and compassionate kitty hero. Two days later, I met her at the vet to get Chance his microchip and she took him from there. She told me that she had a nice foster already lined up. I found out the next day that magically a spot opened up at a nearby PetSmart and Chance would be going up for adoption there. Another impossible random twist of luck and fate? Maybe so. The adoption rates apparently have been relatively decent so hopefully I'll be able to hear soon that he has found a nice home. Here's a pic of Chance curled up for a nap in my lap.
Chance is very fine! THANK YOU bigtime for doing these labors of love. You are making such a positive difference in these precious cats' lives!

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ChirpySquirrel ChirpySquirrel - I just joined yesterday, and I've been browsing all of the threads with new content, looking to see if I could share any advice. Note, I'm not an expert, I'm just a keen observer of things, and I watch a lot of cats as well...

I did try to read all of the posts in this thread, but mostly skimmed them, looking for keywords and such (sooo many posts, sooo little time).

How is your shed set up for "access", that is to say, how many ways can a cat get in or out? If there is only one doorway in, then the one unfixed male may be intimidating the others by hanging out by the doorway. Putting a couple of cat flaps in, especially on opposite walls, might encourage them to use it if they know they have an escape route. Maybe a window, if it is getting warm enough to leave it open overnight?

Believe it or not, I've had a close-to-feral resident of my cat colony spend 95% of the time in an outdoor "dog" house rather than the warm and comfort of the shed with lights, heat, and insulation. She PREFERS to be in the sub-freezing weather! I don't understand, but then again, she IS a calico.

ChirpySquirrel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My posts always end up being super long so I'm realizing that it's now to the point where it would probably be something like an hour of reading just to get all caught up which obviously makes it difficult for any newcomers to jump right in with any suggestions/support. I probably need to include a "Too Long, Didn't Read" version of my posts/stories. Actually I think I'll just write up a summary or recap in a subsequent post.

cayz cayz , thanks for your questions/comments. To answer your question, my shed has 2 entry/exit points "kitty-corner" from each other :). The unfixed male you mentioned that used to stay in the shed at night is actually now fixed and rehomed (turned out he was super friendly to people) so he's no longer in the picture.

I hear what you're saying about not understanding why kitties prefer what they prefer. Take last night for example. It was crazy windy and cold with snow flurries all night. Windchill was down to about 0 degrees. Yet the kitties that live in the tree pile still preferred to be out there in the miserable weather. In fact, after eating under my porch, sometimes they will actually cut through the shed (in one corner and out the other) on their way back to the tree pile...despite complete protection from the wind and the cozy insulated shelters inside- some of which have straw and some even have heated kitty beds. There is carpet, windows for natural light, a cat tree and other furniture, a nice shelf/perch to climb up to and look out the window, etc. They know about all this as I've seen them explore the shed from time to time. I have not figured out how to get them to stick around despite the fact that it should seem like the Four Seasons compared to their tree pile.

I've concluded that they must consider my shed too close to "civilization" and humans to get comfy. They've known and trusted the tree pile their whole lives as their home and source of shelter/protection. Even with the the construction taking place that I've talked about in other posts, they are not giving up the tree pile. Heavy machinery, digging/excavation, loud construction noises, construction crews all day often within feet of the tree pile does not seem to change that or drive them away. Instead they seem to hunker down deep inside the tree pile until the evening when things die down. My yard, by comparison, is much quieter as the construction zone (and the tree pile) is still currently a couple hundred yards to the north.

However, there is one kitty that seems to be using the shed at night lately- the one I named Tiny Tuck. He used to spend a lot of time with the tree pile kitties and seemed to really want to be part of their group but for some reason that no longer seems to be the case lately. I don't think he is staying in the tree pile at all anymore and I mostly see him out in the fields on his own. Their relationships are so confusing to me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My posts always end up being super long so I'm realizing that it's now to the point where it would probably be something like an hour of reading just to get all caught up which obviously makes it difficult for any newcomers to jump right in with any suggestions/support. I probably need to include a "Too Long, Didn't Read" version of my posts/stories. Actually I think I'll just write up a summary or recap in a subsequent post.

cayz cayz , thanks for your questions/comments. To answer your question, my shed has 2 entry/exit points "kitty-corner" from each other :). The unfixed male you mentioned that used to stay in the shed at night is actually now fixed and rehomed (turned out he was super friendly to people) so he's no longer in the picture.

I hear what you're saying about not understanding why kitties prefer what they prefer. Take last night for example. It was crazy windy and cold with snow flurries all night. Windchill was down to about 0 degrees. Yet the kitties that live in the tree pile still preferred to be out there in the miserable weather. In fact, after eating under my porch, sometimes they will actually cut through the shed (in one corner and out the other) on their way back to the tree pile...despite complete protection from the wind and the cozy insulated shelters inside- some of which have straw and some even have heated kitty beds. There is carpet, windows for natural light, a cat tree and other furniture, a nice shelf/perch to climb up to and look out the window, etc. They know about all this as I've seen them explore the shed from time to time. I have not figured out how to get them to stick around despite the fact that it should seem like the Four Seasons compared to their tree pile.

I've concluded that they must consider my shed too close to "civilization" and humans to get comfy. They've known and trusted the tree pile their whole lives as their home and source of shelter/protection. Even with the the construction taking place that I've talked about in other posts, they are not giving up the tree pile. Heavy machinery, digging/excavation, loud construction noises, construction crews all day often within feet of the tree pile does not seem to change that or drive them away. Instead they seem to hunker down deep inside the tree pile until the evening when things die down. My yard, by comparison, is much quieter as the construction zone (and the tree pile) is still currently a couple hundred yards to the north.

However, there is one kitty that seems to be using the shed at night lately- the one I named Tiny Tuck. He used to spend a lot of time with the tree pile kitties and seemed to really want to be part of their group but for some reason that no longer seems to be the case lately. I don't think he is staying in the tree pile at all anymore and I mostly see him out in the fields on his own. Their relationships are so confusing to me.
Tiny Tuck was probably driven out. He could even be a non-feral, abandoned/betrayed cat who doesn't fit with the scrappy ferals and so was unable to hold his own amongst them.
Whatever the case, THANK YOU forever for making the Feline Four Seasons available. Don't give up. As things ratchet up with the construction, they will relocate and hopefully it will be a good, safe move with you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 410304
He is gorgeous😻 That is fantastic he is socialized and is going to get a home! You lucked out bigtime 😀 Other than the tnr I never got any help for most of the cats I tried to find homes for. One exception was when I used to volunteer for a rescue and she adopted out two kittens I saved. She tried with my Wizard too, and vetted him, but he was fiv plus so they could not be put in cages and few people would adopt them then anyway.

Thank goodness for that ❤❤❤❤because we kept him, she told me she had several fiv cats and it was never transmitted to her other cats.

You are one cat down and 3 or 4 to go! Don’t give up ❤ I just took in Zena in December and he was so scared and aggressive but in time he is turning into a housecat and is a luvbug, he is still skittish and a scaredy but no more aggression etc. he rolls over for grooming and belly rubs 😀

It is always hard to let them go, I cried each time I fostered and I had to stop because it was too much for me.