Seeking All Opinions On My New Kitten!

EroyalB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my girlfriend and I are getting a British Shorthair kitten from a breeder. Yes, I know we are buying from a breeder, but we couldn't find any British Shorthairs local to us to adopt. Anyway, the British Shorthair that we reserved was born on the 4th of April 2017, and we received a picture of him a few days after his birth, he looked adorable! About 10 days later we received an updated picture of him and his beautiful eyes were open!

Now, the reason for creating this forum. We received a few pictures of our kitten a couple days ago and my girlfriend and I were concerned that it may not be the same kitten as the previous pictures. If you take a look and compare the photo of him laying down and the most recent photos we were sent they look different. The shading of the kitten looks different as well as the marking on his forehead. The one laying down has white marking while the most recent photos he as an "M" on his forehead indicating he's a tabby.

If you guys could take a look at the photos below and give your opinion on whether or not you think it is the same kitten through all the photos we would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond! I wish the best to you and to your cats :).

Attachments

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm no expert, but it looks like the same kitten to me, the very slight differences being attributable to the lighting and the normal changes in a kitten's coat as it develops.
He's a precious little thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EroyalB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks and I appreciate your response! Maybe my girlfriend and I are just being crazy. What's your opinion on the marking on his forehead? It went from a white blotch to an "M", is something like that normal?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like the same kit to me also. Make sure you have a health guarantee beyond what your state/country has by law.
Buying from a reputable breeder is fine. Most of us rescue but personally I hate the bashing and you shouldn't feel the need to apologize. I'm sure you researched the breeder thoroughly.
Your baby is precious stop worrying and develop a good relationship with the breeder.

EroyalB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I appreciate the response greatly. I wish the best to you and your cat :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course now you have to stick around and post tons of pictures as the baby grows up...it's a rule somewhere.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I believe the blotch turning into an "M" is normal. We rarely get purebred kittens at the shelter, but the moggy kittens' coat patterns become more defined as the weeks progress. With black kittens, a few white hairs on the chest can turn into a real "locket", and tabbies' stripes become clearer, too.

EroyalB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding! So you don't think he will keep his pure blue coat? He will develop a "locket" or stripes?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks to be the same kitten to me. As a kitten develops the coat sometimes changes. It can darken or lighten. I had one Persian girl who was registered as a chinchilla (lightest tipping) golden as a kitten and as an adult I had to re register her as a shaded golden (more tipping). He is a beautiful blue!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for responding! So you don't think he will keep his pure blue coat? He will develop a "locket" or stripes?
No, I meant Domestic Short Hair kittens, not a purebred like yours. The former are often so fuzzy when they're little that their coats look like out of focus photos.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the coloring as such isnt blue, but its liliac. Not the common among moggies, but with purebreds is more common because its more fancy.

I too think its probably the same kitten, no reason to be too suspicious, unless its some very unreliable breeder. The breeder sending the whole times pics on what you ordered, is very nice.