Seeking advice with my newly adopted shy cat(s)

jaaah33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

my partner and I have just adopted a pair of very shy/scared kitties a little over a month ago. One is around 10 months and the other is around 5 months old.

For the first 3 weeks they stayed exclusively in the laundry sink (with blankets and a comfy bed) and would only come out to eat and starting playing about a week in. They would hiss upon approach at first which has now stopped.

They have since relocated to under the bed in the spare room about a week and a half ago. Since moving they seem much more confident - they are coming out to eat while we are in the room/accepting treats from us, we can pat them if they are relaxed, they come out to play a lot and happily come out to hang in our presence. I’m happy with the progress we have made so far and I can tell they are starting to feel safe.

However if they are out and about and sense any movement from us they immediately bolt back under the bed. I was wondering if anyone might have advice on how we can help them become less scared of us?

Is this usually something that will fade as they get used to us and realize we are not a threat? I have so much time for these kitties and just want to help them adjust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww,bless your heart! Not everyone agrees but I always block the big hiding spots with the shy ones,I'll leave them safe space,preferably something just for them to hide in( like cat condo/tree with cubbies,dens,little cat house) in the common living space so they don't become perpetual " hiders".....
Shy kitties will always look for a hiding spot so by providing something easily accessible and where they can feel safe even with your movement all around ,just be sure to let them have that space for there very own- no eye contact,no petting when walking by it- this way they learn you are trustworthy & non threatening
Hope that helps,I took in an extremely shy ,timid,feral Russian Blue 6mo TNR kitten(Russian Blues tend to like their own space as it is)....she just wanted to hide every chance she had- I set up a little at tree in the living room& a small den in the bedroom & blocked every potential hiding spot- Graycie loves her spots but has to be in any room I'm in....it took about a year but this girl is a love,cuddly love.... Let them come to you in their time,they will....oh & find their cat crack,the treats they like best,reward them when they engage and just love them,cats just take love and lots of patience

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do they have the run of the whole house or just some places?

My recommendation would be to set them up in your room with all their needs to get them used to you.

Keep talking to them and playing with a cat toy around them (like waving a wand to see if they come out).

I also think they should be left with a hidy place, but I prefer it not to be somewhere I can't get to them in case of emergency. So I do block places off, but I provide something else suitable (we have a small dog crate that we keep covered.

Cat calming music helps them not to jump at every little sound.
some feliway may be helpful as well. And lots of yummy treats to ensure they get used to you!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have the run of the whole house or just some places?

My recommendation would be to set them up in your room with all their needs to get them used to you.

Keep talking to them and playing with a cat toy around them (like waving a wand to see if they come out).

I also think they should be left with a hidy place, but I prefer it not to be somewhere I can't get to them in case of emergency. So I do block places off, but I provide something else suitable (we have a small dog crate that we keep covered.

Cat calming music helps them not to jump at every little sound.
some feliway may be helpful as well. And lots of yummy treats to ensure they get used to you!
Excellent idea in the bedroom.....surely they need to explore only one room at a time👍❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaaah33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies!! Kwik Kwik thats very re-assuring to hear about your experience! They have a cat tree in the laundry but I’m going to put a decent one in the living room with same safe spots for them aswell. And they’re obsessed with the meat in a tube and will even walk onto our laps to eat it.

A Alldara they spent the first 3 weeks exclusively in the laundry, their litter is in there still and it’s quite close to the room they are in so they are going to and from to use the litter. The bedroom door is currently open so they can access the house if they wish too. It’s just the 2 of us here so it’s a fairly low traffic and quiet household.

I’m feeding them in the bedroom in the morning and evening and are definitely not too afraid to come out for meals which is a great sign!

Once that toy is waving for about 5 minutes or so, they’ll emerge and start running around to chase it, it’s like they are completely different cats and the fear melts away once they are playing. Am playing with them as much as I can!! I’ll likely block under the bed and provide them some alternate hiding spots once they are more settled.

Thanks for all your advice so far, really appreciate it :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, their fear when you move around will likely fade. These two have had the experience of being picked up and moved to a new location at least twice in their short lives so a human moving about the room is suspect for them. But as they begin to adjust they learn that humans are about love, fun and food and are not scary.

Having said that, there are a few cats that are skittish by nature and may find a spot to temporarily hide any time there is movement. It’s just who they are and not a reflection of how they feel about you. Ignore the behavior, let them come out when they feel ready and they are fine.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies!! Kwik Kwik thats very re-assuring to hear about your experience! They have a cat tree in the laundry but I’m going to put a decent one in the living room with same safe spots for them aswell. And they’re obsessed with the meat in a tube and will even walk onto our laps to eat it.

A Alldara they spent the first 3 weeks exclusively in the laundry, their litter is in there still and it’s quite close to the room they are in so they are going to and from to use the litter. The bedroom door is currently open so they can access the house if they wish too. It’s just the 2 of us here so it’s a fairly low traffic and quiet household.

I’m feeding them in the bedroom in the morning and evening and are definitely not too afraid to come out for meals which is a great sign!

Once that toy is waving for about 5 minutes or so, they’ll emerge and start running around to chase it, it’s like they are completely different cats and the fear melts away once they are playing. Am playing with them as much as I can!! I’ll likely block under the bed and provide them some alternate hiding spots once they are more settled.

Thanks for all your advice so far, really appreciate it :)
My pleasure,it's good to know there's folks out there that care just as much as you do,isn't it?
I'm brandy new to TCS and the love and support here is delightfully extraordinaire 👍❤