Seeking advice on alternative prescription foods

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been asked my advice/opinion for someone with 2 adult cats who have been eating prescription food, and it's costing them an arm and a leg.

I am no expert at all with this so hoping some helpful peeps here might give me a hand.

Thanks.

Boogy had urinary crystals at about 9 or 10 months old, and has been on RC urinary SO dry food ever since, which was nearly 4 years ago.

Kiki had some vomiting issues and has been on RC selected protein adult PV dry food, but she thinks he was just eating too fast before Boogy would go eat his food up, she is feeding in separate rooms now and he only vomits occasionally.

Personally, I think neither cat should be on dry, especially not dry only. 

I know this vet who has her feeding them these, and she is a good vet otherwise but lacking in the nutritional area......

I appreciate any help or input.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree about the dry food. Is your this person open to feeding a canned only or 50/50 diet? Regardless, I would encourage the addition of water to the canned that is fed.

As for specific foods...
I like Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient turkey formula. Chewy.com has the 12.1 lb bag for $25.77 right now. I contacted them b/c the price dropped nearly $10 overnight and I was concerned that they were going to dc it. I was told this was not the case.

For canned, you know tht will depend on the cats. However, my cats like NV's Pride line, Purina's new Muse line, and BFF.

For price, Holistic Select and Wellness bought in 13 oz cans are affordable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that canned Friskies Special Diet and dry Purina One Urinary Health work fine. Haven't used them myself but they seem to get good reviews. She might run that by her vet to ask if they'd be appropriate---many vets are open to recommending those foods since they are technically urinary formulas. She can explain that finances are getting to be a problem.

Both of them could eat those foods so that could be more convenient too.