Seeking advice for recently adopted cat

SpencerATX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Over the weekend I adopted a 9 year old cat who’s previous owner passed away. He immediately went under my bed and hasn’t ventured out during the day yet. The past 4 nights he occasionally came out to use the litter box and explore a bit. He is drinking water but not eating.
My main concern is that he’s not eaten for a few days. I’ve set out grain free hard food and grain free wet food as well.

Mia it typical for the cat to not eat while grieving? Is there anything else I can do to try and get him to eat?
Should I let him be under the bed, or should I get him out from under the bed and block it off?

I haven’t taken him to the vet yet because he’s been under the bed, I’m worried I’ll traumatize him trying to get him out.

thanks

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leave the food and water out. Try to entice the cat with a feather toy.

SiameseKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please give him time to adjust to you and his new home and his grief for his previous owner. I suggest you just sit in the room and talk gently with him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This is, unfortunately, pretty typical. Don't block him from what he considers his safe zone, that is where he currently feels the most secure. In time that will change. You can always add some cardboard boxes as hiding places to see if he will eventually use them, but it is best for now to let him have his preferred safe place. Hopefully, you have some of the things he is used to in his old home to keep in his safe room with him (toys, bedding, water/food dishes, litter box(es), etc.). And, it would be helpful if you have some of the food he was previously eating to perhaps entice him to eat.

I've included some TCS articles for you to consider - both for eating and for working with him to get him acclimated. The primary issue to start with is getting him eating food again. Not all the items covered in any of these articles will be applicable, but there are many that will be.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and thank you for adopting a 9 yr. old cat whose previous owner passed away. :thanks: One thing you might try to attempt him to eat or come out from under the bed is making a trail with treats. However, do not disturb him since his whole world has changed and it will take time for him to adjust to his new environment.

When we adopted our present cat I sat on the floor in the room with him while reading a book. I dimmed the lights and didn't say a word. At first he came out from under the bed but on the opposite side of where I was sitting. Then he walked around the bed to where I was and let me pet him. The key is time and patience. Best of luck and please keep us updated on your new cat's progress. :heartshape:

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is adorable. Glad he's making progress.