Seeing things?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been watching Peedoodle tonight, he will suddenly stop and look at the ceiling and then it looks as if he is following something move across the room and then he runs off. Its rather strange, and when I look at what he is looking, there is nothing there - is it something that cats do or is Peedoodle just playing? I do not see any shadows, or any bugs flying. There is one specific spot in the living room that he will stare at and then from there he will do that 'following' thing.

Do cats see things that we do not see?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be (and probably is a bug) even a tiny gnat can capture a cat's attention as their senses are so acute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats probably true - and I looked where he looks and I can see tiny little spider webs. Time to get the vacuum out. I hate vacuuming walls.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have friends who insist that cats can see spirits (ghosts). So, when cats sit and stare at "nothing" they are really watching the spirits...and...when the cat suddenly leaps up and runs madly down the hall, it is because it was goosed by a spirit!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wondered about that! I have heard that cats are sensitive to spirits. So who knows?

peugeot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about the spirit thing. Peugeot has done that several times, even to the point where his tail puffs up, he arches etc etc and then races down the hall at 100 miles an hour. The house we live in is very old and it wouldn't surprise me if he was picking up on the 'vibes' of prior residents lol. At least he's a good indicator of when they are around.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On a more humorous note...I read in a humor email at one point that when cats do this, they are reacting to aliens or interdimensional beings only they can see. When they run around like mad for no reason, it's because they are chasing the aliens. I searched for it, but couldn't find it...The phenomenon had a really funny name, too.

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In every bathroom of every house we've ever lived in, Goose has "communed with the spirits" while sitting on top of the toilet tank. She mews her head off and looks at the upper left corner where the walls and ceiling come together. I'm not sure if it's ghosts or if she's reporting to her alien superiors, but I'm sure glad to hear she's not the only one.

prinny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought they did stuff like that to keep the feline mystique alive and well.

Prinny

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by JulieB
In every bathroom of every house we've ever lived in, Goose has "communed with the spirits" while sitting on top of the toilet tank. She mews her head off and looks at the upper left corner where the walls and ceiling come together. I'm not sure if it's ghosts or if she's reporting to her alien superiors, but I'm sure glad to hear she's not the only one.
That is priceless!

Nakita the other night would not go near the table where my computer printer sits. She went there every other time, but she wouldn't go there that night!She would slowly approach the area, and then *paw* at something on the floor. Of course, there was nothing there but it was creepy.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to think that the mysterious running episodes are caused by my cats who have passed on coming back to play with my new cats. Or if they start talking and purring for no apparent reason, maybe my Grandma (major cat lover) is stopping by to pet everyone.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's when you get crop circles in the litter pan that you should worry!

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Twinkles does the strangest things! First she'll start walking through the living room, and all of the sudden she'll stop and stare at something for about 5 minutes, 2 seconds later she leaps for the highest spot she can find! Strange eh?

My other cat, Peppurr, will stare up a wall and jump halfway up it! He must see something because he will do it over and over again!

I truly believe that cats can communicate with spirits. Although not everyone believe in that kind of stuff, I do.

So, is it the same as dogs and ghosts? :LOL:

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crop circles in the litter box! Uh oh!

fitzy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fitzy sees spirits too! He'll be sleeping on his bed on the couch and sit up and stare at the hallway and then he walks over and stands at the entrance just staring. Once i followed him and he was in the middle of the hall staring at nothing with every hair standing on end and his tail puffed up! Creepy!

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen all my cats do this at least once, Isha more often.
I'm not sure what it is, maybe they do see things we don't.

More likely they see a bug, a spot on the wall, a reflection or even a spec of dust that has hit the light just right so they can see it floating around.