Seed Tick On Eyelid

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a semi-feral cat we just took to the vet for a treatment with Revolution. After we got home we saw that she has a seed tick attached to the eyelid in the corner of her eye. Question I have is will the Revolution kill this tick and then will it fall of of it's own accord or from the cat scratching at it? She is still too agitated to try & do anything with tweezers even close to her eye. I have even been told by a medical Dr. it was better not to pull a tick off and risk breaking the head off and causing infection. Guess my main concern is how effective is the Revolution and will the tick just fall off? Thanks for anyone who will share their experience!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a shame, it sounds nasty to have a tick at the corner of her eye, and so unfortunate it wasn't seen when she was with the vet. I'm sure the experience there was cery distressing for her. I suspect it is important to get this treated quickly too, to minimise risks of her eye being damaged.

Everything I have heard about ticks reinforces what you have said above with the importanve of not trying to pull the tick off or try to remove it with tweezers.

Looking at the information on Revolution, using it to treat and manage tick infestations seems only to be relevant for dogs. The dosage has to be altered for tick infestation so it may be due to the level of dose required for effectiveness. Unless someone here has direct experience with this I think you are best to call your vets and ask them about it. As they have only just seen this cat they may be willing to give advice over the phone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been reading a bit on ticks and Revolution. I had the incorrect idea on seed ticks as I thought they were a type of tick and it turns out they are just a baby tick. Per what I have read Revolution should kill a dog tick be it a baby or not. I read it's not as effective on deer ticks. I have looked at images of both and do not think I could tell the difference especially on a baby tick as small as this one. She was not a happy kitty before I took her to the vet and definitely isn't now so I guess we wait till she calms down and see if the tick falls off. Revolution should kill a tick that bites a cat within 2 hours from what I have read. It may be dead now but still attached. Thank you for your reply!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Ticks will fall off of their own accord within 2 to 3 days after feeding, with or without any chemical help, so if you don't want to use tweezers so close to her eye, it's just a matter of waiting.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank You!

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tick was gone from the eye lid tonight. Either the Revolution did it's thing or nature did but sure was glad to see it was no longer an issue! Ticks are going to be very bad this year here it appears, as I have already found 5 crawling on our cats but not attached!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief it must be to see the tic has fallen off. Keep a close watch on the eye lid for any swelling or redness just in case there is any sign of infection.
Can you check with the vet what the best tic deterrant is for cats, and if Revolution is the best thing to minimise further risks? Tics can transmit so many diseases, some very serious, so it is always going to be best to avoid them (both for cats and humans). So hard when your cat is semi-feral.