Sedating a cat before taking her to vet for euthanasia.

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a depressing sad question, I am sure it has been asked before..  I have a 17+ year old cat that has gone into congestive heart failure, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, kidney failure.  She has had hyper thyroid and other issues for some time. There is no cure for anything and the medication for one makes the other worse.  I pilled her twice with lasix it didn't  help and she hid from me for hours. I haven't given her any today, I do not want her terrified of me in her last days.

It has come to the point she needs help to stop her suffering.  She is choking on the fluid in her lungs, the vet said it was the last option.  I called this morning and they can't get her in until 3:00 tomorrow.  

I want to give her something at home so she is asleep or drowsy before I take her.  My himi, Munchkin, yowled and bit me when they gave him the shot to "relax" him when he was put to sleep.  I live with that horrible image.  With my cat Faun, who would happily eat a vet, they let me give her part of a tranquilizer so she would be drowsy and calm when the time came.  

I asked the vet today, different vet, same office, and she said there isn't any tranqualizers for cats and they would give her a shot when we come in.  They missed the point, I don't want her to know it be scared, 

Has anyone here done that, given something so the cat is relaxed before hand?  I can't handle it if it goes badly, I just had to euthanize my beautiful 5 year old Saint Bernard Sept. 5th from unexpectedly septic abdomen.  I am barely on two feet from that.  

This vet gives then a two shots, one to relax them and then another to stop the heart.  I have been way to upset to see where they put the second shot, but the first one must sting.  Is this normal?

I wish there was some magic fairy dust I could sprinkle over her when she was asleep and just let her go in her sleep at home.  I was debating in home euthanasia but I did that once and it was horrible, they held Cassie down and gassed her first to "relax" her.  I was horrified, her last minutes looking at me struggling to get away from them.  I had never had a vet do that and have not seen one since.

I am rambling on because I don't want to lose her, she was brought to me as a kitten and the pads of her feet were all burned.  She has been with me ever since.  Please help if you know anything, I have xanax, diazapam, acepromazine, phenobarbital, and ambien.  The ambien is the only people medicine, the rest were given to my various pets.  So many loves and losses over the years.

Thank you all in advance.  

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted the same for my Pedro when his time came.   My vet did give me something to sedate him for the trip to her office.   However, it was not the outcome I had hoped for.   He was extremely anxious and  frightened when I tried to put him into his carrier; I think he had a bad reaction to the med. It  was horrible.   He did go peacefully once he was in my vet's care.

The one good experience I had was with my semi-feral kitty.    Her vet always came to the house for her visits..   So when her time came, the vet came to my house and it was a very peaceful passing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that it was so horrible, I have a really bad feeling about tomorrow.  I guess I just don't want her to know what is happening. Thank you for responding.  

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for the actual procedure, I always cradle my cats and everytime, my vet has just slowly injected "something" and my cat would just go to sleep and then the vet would listen for a heart beat.   Of course, every cat I've lost has been quite ill (congestive heart failure, cancer) and it was "time".

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers for a peaceful end will be with you tomorrow.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately the anxious reaction to the sedatives that can be given by pill at home do happen.  It actually can happen with some people as well and there really is no way of knowing if that will happen or not ahead of time.  I am so sorry you are going through this and I hope that everything goes well tomorrow. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all and yes my Munchkin was given Valium for a urinary issue and went crazy.  I had to hold him for 4 hours cause he was running panting and truly acting crazy.  When I called the vet he said that some cats react this way.

The waiting is so hard, I look at her laying peacefully and I think, why am I doing this, she is okay.  Then she chokes and it is terrifying, I don't want her to die like that.  So today, she has had tuna, roast chicken, ham, about 5 different types of canned cat food, kitten food and as many temptations treats as she wants.  She only takes a couple of bites but she can have what she wants.  I have been loving on her so much she got irritated with me and started swishing her tail and quit purring.  I stopped for a while.  

My heart hurts.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I can certainly empathize since I lost two cats this summer. There are things we know rationally about the process and what our hearts tell us too---because no one wants this. To me breathing is at the top of the list of what cats and any other being needs to be able to do. And it's frightening when you cannot breathe well.  I too chose not to give them their medicine on the last day. I think that makes a lot of sense from a cat comfort level. 

For me as their guardian, the person that worked to keep them safe, well and happy, the worst was waiting for the appointment. That part is very difficult I know. You have my heartfelt sympathy about it. I just tried to be normal around my Charlie and told her I loved her and her sweetness and that soon she would not be so uncomfortable (she seemed to not be able to swallow well on her last day and just drooled. I wiped her chin a lot which she appreciated. 

I put Charlie's favorite bed in the carrier for her so she would feel the comfort of that. It was the bed she retreated to while in her last couple of weeks and the one she used when she slept in front of the TV. Her passing was super peaceful. She was in my arms purring and she got the sedative and then just rested her chin on my arm. The vet let her stay on her bed when she got the final shot. I was so glad that I was there. While I was so sad to lose her, I was also relieved her struggle was over. Every cat is different when the time comes.  I don't say any of this to be maudlin or to be heartbreaking. I think when someone is facing this, it helps if others who have been through it too are just there to say what they did and what personally helped get us as the humans through it. 

With Etta she was at the vet all day because she was struggling to breath. She had fluid build up in her abdomen and I thought maybe it was pressing on her diaphragm. That wasn't it. Whatever was going on (probably cancer) had spread to her lungs. While I waited to go to be with her I took comfort in the fact that she was on oxygen and so she was more comfortable than she would have been if we were at home waiting to go in.

While I was with each of them. I breathed deep and tried to stay calm. I talked about what I liked best about the life we had together and all the great things she brought to that life--little quirks, fun things about her as a cat that I loved. I talked about memories we shared like she was a person. I thought that if I was thinking of the good things and stuff that I knew made us both happy that it would reflect on her and help her feel at ease too. 

My hope was that if I did my best to be calm and present and loving that it would have a good effect on them. They were both really laid back cats which helped.  

Hugs to you. I''m so sorry.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am sorry that you have to make that horrible choice. Some cats get drowsy on benedryl as that is usually used for allergies etc. Can you ask your vet about giving benedryl before the appointment? Or call a different vet and ask the question does benedryl make them drowsy? I don't think valium will make them drowsy. One ER vet gave my Honeybee valium to get her to eat and she was flipping off the walls.

I did ask the girl to give my cat a sedative when we got to the vets for the final appointment. My girl was very sick and she pretty much transitioned then. They still did the 2nd shot but she was already having trouble breathing and small seizures prior to the appointment. My heart aches for you but you know you are doing the most selfless thing for your girl. I also don't understand why they won't let you bring her in earlier.

I have been told that if you just show up at the vets and say she is having a hard time breathing-they will treat her or put her down-whatever you want to be done. My vets office has had people just show up and they don't turn anyone away. Maybe just get in the car and show up sooner. They won't turn you away. Especially if breathing is impaired. Sending you lots of hugs. Just went through this in the end of July. Some days it still hasn't sunk in that she is no longer here. I am so sorry again that you have to do the last loving thing.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I decided to put my 17 yr old down, I had a vet come to the house. It was so easy. I would recommend that to everyone. And they really don't charge that much more, I think if you go to a vet it's over a hundred bucks, my lady was like $150. I can't imagine trying to get a cat in the carrier, drive it in the car just to put it asleep. She is going to be totally stressed out & that's not a nice way to go.

I guess if you sedate her she's going to be partially out of it anyway but she'll know what's going on unless it knocks her out.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I concur entirely.

I timed the visit so that Pedro could sit in his favorite sunny spot in the living room. I held him in my arms as he was lulled off to sleep and then euthanized. Hardest thing I ever did, but his lung cancer was no longer responding to chemotherapy.

There is no parallel to our relationship with our elderly. We are in control of these cats and they deserve every comfort and courtesy we can construct for them if that time comes.

squito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I did ask the girl to give my cat a sedative when we got to the vets for the final appointment. My girl was very sick and she pretty much transitioned then. They still did the 2nd shot but she was already having trouble breathing and small seizures prior to the appointment. 
This happened with me a few weeks ago when I took my wonderful cat in. When they offered the sedative I thought it was just going to be something that would take away the pai and relax her.. I thought she'd be drowsy and out of it but still conscious. Maybe it was because she was so far gone at that point or maybe in the grief of the moment I wasn't listening clearly enough but the sedative pretty much did the trick itself. One moment she was sitting there alert and the next she was completely limp and unresponsive with her eyes glazed over. For a moment I actually thought they'd snuck in the second shot without me noticing until I looked over and saw the syringe with the pink liquid. 

I am so sorry you're having to go through this, Iluvcats4ever. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this, & especially after just going through it with your dog. I have tears running down my face reading this. Almost 8 months ago, (2/5/16) , I had to do this w/ my Angel when the chemo stopped working after just two months. It's never easy.  I agree with @foxxycat, about the Benedryl. That may be a good option for you. I'm surprised they are having you come in the afternoon. My vet said they did those appointments either first thing in the morning, or last at night. I think because maybe there aren't as many people there. 

You will be in my prayers. I hope there is someone who can go with you, Someone who can drive & be there for support. My mom took me, then spent the day & that night with me. 

I also spent those last few days telling Angel all the things I wanted too. What a good, sweet boy he was, that he was my biggest blessing, & my greatest love.

I will be thinking of you, & praying for you.  We are all here for you. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all and yes my Munchkin was given Valium for a urinary issue and went crazy.  I had to hold him for 4 hours cause he was running panting and truly acting crazy.  When I called the vet he said that some cats react this way.
The waiting is so hard, I look at her laying peacefully and I think, why am I doing this, she is okay.  Then she chokes and it is terrifying, I don't want her to die like that.  So today, she has had tuna, roast chicken, ham, about 5 different types of canned cat food, kitten food and as many temptations treats as she wants.  She only takes a couple of bites but she can have what she wants.  I have been loving on her so much she got irritated with me and started swishing her tail and quit purring.  I stopped for a while.  
My heart hurts.
Would your vet consider doing a home visit for your cat to make it much less stressful?