Securing zippers in kitten-safe way?

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've got a 7-week old escapee kitten who has been able to open up the zipper on his play pen. Is there a kitten-safe way I can secure two zip pulls together? I don't want to use string or rope for obvious reasons! Would a cable tie work?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, cable ties that are removable (some are not so you have to cut them open) will work. Depending on how large the zipper pull tab hole is, you may be able to use a paper clip or shower curtain ring or binder ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh the shower curtain ring is a great idea! I didn't want to use a paperclip in case that was swallow-able. I worried a cable tie was chew-able.

I wound up using a spare key ring to attach the two zipper pulls which I hope is not chewable/swallowable and I think will work well!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Good solution. Sounds like a clever little kitty, you're going to have to stay alert with that one! :runningcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha well it's only because I have a heated bed set up and I have to run the cord through the zip enclosure...so he was able to widen the gap and get out. it's great to see him curious and running and playing because he was very sick (hence the heated bed in the middle of summer :redheartpump:) and now recovering so I'm quite happy to see him trying to escape!! :hyper:

The keyring did the trick and there was no escapee last night.