Second Job Interview - Need Help!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
We're actually in need of people so if I leave everyone would know it was because I was fired (no thanks to the way the personnel update email will be worded), not because I was laid off. And who knows what lies the supervisor will tell the team and others about why I left.
Does it matter what is said? You will be gone. If you're not there to hear it, it doesn't matter.
Which option should I take? :confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:
You've had at least 6 people point out how easily that severance package will disappear if they fire you and to take it now. How can you continue to ask what should you do?

I'm no longer going to weigh in on your job woes. At best, it's talking to a brick wall. :frustrated: But I think there's a lot more going on that isn't being talked about, a whole lot more, which would mean all the advice in the world isn't going to help.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is all so confusing::::
If you take a chance on more performance reviews, well, that is really taking a risk of getting fired.... Even if your immediate supervisor is on vacation, there is always someone higher up, who could step in to do the dirty deed.. if there are enough complaints...

I just worry about not taking the severance package, not getting this job, and being out of money. At least with taking the severance package, you can eventually file for unemployment insurance, if nothing pans out....

By being fired, terminated, your job can literally stop you from getting unemployment, until you have a hearing. Same if you quit.. cannot use unemployment insurance.

I think, I would take the package, and try to find some wordings about why you did so, to the interviewer.. THAT is going to be the tricky part.

I know what it is like, to be employed in a very small field where everyone seems to know everyone else..
Legally, all HR can do is list your years of employment.. nothing else, due to past lawsuits...
However, the word of mouth innuendos and blackballing are what you have to work against... and it is really hard to explain...

You could say that the job was not what it was promised to be, making it turn out not to be a good fit for your potential and experience; making you feel more frustrated and feeling as if you were losing all of the skills which you worked so hard to acquire.
While you are a team player, and can adapt to change, you felt as if your best skills were not put into play-- and you feel as if you are losing these skills.... and then try to make note of your best skills, because they will ask what they are... these are determined by your particular profession.

Also state that your, Willingness to go above and beyond what your job requires, willingness to work extra hours to complete a task, willingness to help others when the need help, your cooperation... your ability to multi-task... your continuing education--up to dat on current trends in your field,

your being quiet--- use that to your advantage. How you are quiet, but size up things, to try to the most efficient process for the task at hand. Quietness can be viewed as being standoffish; however when it is explained, as a way of troubleshooting and efficiently working.. it is a plus....

Just some ideas...

Anyone else have any more??

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 - If you resign, you won't get severance. You only get it if you are laid off. As someone said, what difference does it make what your coworkers say after you're gone? You won't hear it. It would be much, much better for you to take the severance and leave now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As someone said, what difference does it make what your coworkers say after you're gone? You won't hear it.
Because of this:

However, the word of mouth innuendos and blackballing are what you have to work against... and it is really hard to explain...
It's a small industry and people no doubt talk to other people at conferences, meet up for after work drinks, etc. I'm paranoid that any future supervisor / manager / co-worker will, say, be at a conference and talk to people I have worked with before and, upon realizing where they work, say " Hey, do you know [name]? She currently works for me now. Great employee, don't you think?" and then hear all this negative stuff about me and then start to question my ability to do the job. I know someone who had this happen to her.

So I can secretly have a new job in place while I take severance?
Let's get back to my original question :please: I need tips on how to ace this second interview. The fact that the company rescheduled it makes me think I'm a serious candidate :crossfingers: :crossfingers: Would it be ok to inquire how many other candidates they are doing second interviews with? Or ask how many people they intend to hire for the position? Being in the industry for 15 years, I know that to get a facility up and running from scratch takes at least several people not including management staff. I saw the position re posted again in Indeed.com so they need at least two people. It's not a very big facility compared to the ones I've been in.

Please, if you don't have any positive advice or tips, don't bother responding:please: I'm stressed out enough already and don't need any more.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to keep this simple for you, just be Yourself! I know you are a nice and giving person, I know what you have done is the past for fellow TCS members who were in need, and you must be intelligent because you present yourself in print very articulately on the site. "You know your stuff", you are a kind person, giving, thoughtful, what more could one as for in themselves? Just put your best foot forward and be yourself. I see this case now nothing more than the "jitters", which is very normal. Just like you said, you would not have been asked back for a second interview. Think about that one.;);) Nobody can make those "jitters" go away other than to reassure you, this is normal BUT I wish you would now just relax, otherwise you are going to get yourself all worked up. (OOPS, too late for that ) :lol:. Back to being serious, Just know that you got this, and GO GET THEM, Girl!!:yess::yess: We all will be here, pulling for you!!!;)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have interviewed lots of people over the years and this is what impresses me.

Someone who is confident but not over confident. ( can be perceived as cockiness)

Someone who is dressed smart but doesnt look like the managing director.

Someone who has studied the job description and is willing to admit to not being able to do some of the minor tasks but is willing to learn.

Someone who has researched the company.
Someone who is not afraid to ask questions on anything relating to the job or company thus showing an interest.

Someone who makes eye contact with all interviewers and does not fidget.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been asked to return for a second interview before:think: It was always phone interview, in person interview if I pass the phone interview, then a hiring decision. Maybe it just depends on the company.

I'm going to keep this simple for you, just be Yourself!
I am myself but somehow it's just not enough :dunno: Ok, so I'm super nervous during the interview and try not to fidget. Maybe that gives off weird vibes?

I just don't know how to sell myself to the interviewers. I don't ramble on and on on a topic but I also don't give a one word answer my :censored: supervisor keeps claiming I do. I don't remember how I even got hired by my current company 13 years ago:headscratch: The interview was a blur. All I remember is meeting with two supervisors, a manager, and the director.

Someone who is confident but not over confident. ( can be perceived as cockiness)
I'm sorely lacking in confidence :sigh:

Someone who has studied the job description and is willing to admit to not being able to do some of the minor tasks but is willing to learn.
The job duties are everything I'm familiar with and have done in previous jobs. There's one thing I've never done before because there was always a separate team to take care of it but I don't expect it to be too difficult to learn.

Someone who has researched the company.
I know very little about the company other than what I had been told at the first interview. I just Googled the company again and saw that they just put up a web site of just one page with no info other than a box to enter an email address to get more information. And a LinkedIn profile for the CEO.

Someone who is not afraid to ask questions on anything relating to the job or company thus showing an interest.
It's a really small company not even open yet so I can't ask the usual questions of what resources are offered so employees can connect with others sharing the same interests for work or personal. I've never worked at a small company before so I don't know what is usually offered to employees.

I know I'll get the usual "why are you looking to leave your current job" question from one of the interviewers. At the first interview with the senior VP, I said that the facility was expected to close within a few years once the lab finishes up the current studies and that I wanted to return to working with something more in line with my skills and experience. Can I say that again, maybe in a different way, and also say that the current job has not met my expectations and has not fully utilized my skills and experience and there are no development opportunities which I found frustrating?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not everyone has confidence, go for a walk before the interview if you can to help relax.

It sounds as if you are more than capable of during the job well, the rest can be learned with guidance. Every job has slight variations.

Tell them that at the moment, as they are a new company, there is only limited information available so could they tell you more. That shows that you have researched and that you are interested in the company as a whole.

Yes if they ask why you are leaving your old job, tell them you feel that you have skills and experience that is not utilised. Be prepared that they might ask what those skills are. Have your answer prepared. You could also tell them that you have " a thirst for knowledge" which says that you are prepared to learn new skills.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be fine.. I agree, be yourself... smile, but not a forced smile...
Even before you have the interview, go into the ladies room, and do the "Superman Pose"--- hands on hips, chest thrust forward, legs apart.... keep saying, "I can do this"....

Focus on positive...

My first job in ultrasound, right out of school, lacking a really good clinical rotation; was at a Major Boston Hospital..

I was scared @@@less... but I went in, knowing this was my chance to learn..

I was called back for 2 more interviews, after the one with HR....

I heard they had 50 applicants for the one position... How in heaven's name I ever passed that, I will never know... but the supervisor saw 'something' in me... He turned out to be the best supervisor I ever had... and spoiled me....

sending tons of luck...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could I ask how many other candidates they are considering? Or how many people they will hire? I know they can at least tell me when they expect to make a decision.

My main skills are X and Y. The job is for something very basic but it's how I got my start in the field. I'm overqualified for the position. The minimum requirement is at least 1 year's experience and a high school diploma or equivalent and a specific certification at the first level. I have 15 years experience, a college degree, and certification at the highest level. At the moment since the company is just starting out, there isn't a need for X and Y skills but it may be something that will be needed in the future. Maybe getting a second interview means that the company is interested in using my skills in the future? Or maybe they want someone with decent experience in the field?

Their facility is ready to go so I imagine the first few weeks will just be getting orders in and set up and figuring out SOPs and best ways to do the daily work. I have experience with getting a facility set up. Maybe I can play that up:think:

and do the "Superman Pose"--- hands on hips, chest thrust forward, legs apart.... keep saying, "I can do this"....
My reference actually suggested that :lol: Does it really work?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder from the Mods to keep things positive.
As a rule, if you feel a need to be impolite, don't post.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They obviously saw somthing they liked in the first interview or you wouldnt be asked to attend a second, have confidence in that. I agree that they may want to use your skills and experience in the future and need someone that knows what they are doing and yes it is quite acceptable to ask the questions you mentioned above.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They obviously saw somthing they liked in the first interview or you wouldnt be asked to attend a second, have confidence in that.
Yes :agree: I must have done something to impress the senior VP. I'm meeting with him again on Friday along with a person who I assume is the supervisor or manager of the position. And HR but that's usually just a general discussion of benefits offered.

I agree that they may want to use your skills and experience in the future and need someone that knows what they are doing and yes it is quite acceptable to ask the questions you mentioned above.
Ok, I'll say that my current job isn't using my skills. But what if they ask why I'm interviewing for the position when it won't use my skills either, at least not at the moment? I'm just trying to think of answers to possible questions about why I'm leaving and why I'm interested in this particular position. Two years ago I thought that working with ABC would be a nice change from years of working with XYZ (among other reasons). But it turned out to not be what I want to do and career development is very limited (among other things which obviously can't be said). I'd like to return to working with XYZ again because of the development opportunities and the chance of using my skills again, whether at this company or somewhere else. Is that a good response?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just me or does anyone else find that barely any of the questions I practice for get asked at interviews? I ended up not practicing specific questions last time I interviewed for my current job and I still got it. I wouldn’t have been able to predict what they were going to ask anyway. I think being in the right mind state is way more important than practicing answers to questions.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it just me or does anyone else find that barely any of the questions I practice for get asked at interviews.
I've winged it at interviews before and it doesn't work, at least not for me. I'm not good at coming up with an answer right away. I need to think about a question and come up with a response. It looks strange if I take several minutes to answer. That's why I like to have answers in mind ready to go for any question asked.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought of another possible interview question: I was once asked at an interview years ago how I did on my most recent performance review. Um, I didn't do very well on last year's review because of all the lies and supposed issues :angrywoman: How could I answer a performance review question and not let anything be known about how low I rated because that would definitely ruin my chances of getting the job?

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well since it is possible that the prospective employer may ask you to sign a release to obtain copies of your performance reviews you should be honest if you are asked. My current employer did that and I had revealed that my most recent review had some criticism in it. I simply explained that my supervisor and I had a disagreement and it appeared on my review. When asked for specifics I explained what happened and that I disagreed with what she included in my review and why. I didn't bad mouth her or complain about it being unfair, I just stated the facts. I thought it would tank my interview but it didn't.

At the time did you provide a written statement disagreeing with your review so it was on the record?

I know it is easy to say but try not to fret too much over this. It will only make you more nervous. I've found approaching it as a conversation rather than an interview helps me feel more at ease.

As far as answering quickly I think a thoughtful response is better than a rushed one.

If it turns out you don't get the job you can ask them why and what advice they would give to make you a stronger candidate in the future.

If you don't get the job because of something your current employer said that isn't true you may have legal recourse against them.

I'm sending you more good vibes :vibes:
Keep us updated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I included my comments at the end of last year's review but those comments weren't taken into consideration :dunno: I should point out that the supervisor was only in the position for the last 6 months of the year so the first 6 months of my performance for the year was unaccounted for (previous supervisor left and my one coworker and I got shuffled into another department). I did point that out but no one cared.

Well I just have to hope that I don't get asked about my last performance review:crossfingers::paranoid:

What can I say if I'm asked what coworkers would say about me or my performance, either current ones or previous ones? Current coworkers will say :censored: about me. Could I say something in general? Or should I rely on positive things said about me by previous coworkers?

I don't think an interviewer will reach out to my current job directly and ask about my performance. It would be more like asking around the industry to see who knows someone who knows someone who currently works in the department and getting info that way.

I still am undecided what to tell HR today:ohwell: I'm kind of leaning towards one decision but I need info from HR if that would affect the package if I change my mind later.