Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Second Job Interview - Need Help!

Winchester

TCS Member
Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
24,353
8,151
In the kitchen
If you can get a severance package from the company you're with now, take it....and hang the gossip. Seriously. The money will always come in handy, even if you just put it in a savings account. And, at this point, you need to do what's best for you....and again, hang the gossip. (When I left IP, I took the severance package and the money. And didn't give a crap what anybody thought. It's my life and I do what's best for me -- and Dear Richard. Everybody else can go hang. I didn't care what they thought.)

If you can wait to see if you've got the new job, all the better. I wouldn't resign until I have something else on the table. I don't understand the whole story, so this is just my two cents. Sometimes it may take a while til somebody calls you. I think I got the phone call for my position about three weeks after my interview.....on a Monday night at 10:00. Go figure.

For now? Get through that second interview. :vibes:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #82

LTS3

TCS Member
Thread starter
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Aug 29, 2014
11,413
8,173
USA
I came across this last night and it pretty much sums up what I need to do: How to Deal With Change When You’re an ISFJ Who’d Rather Not :sigh:

Lots of good info there for an ISFJ like me :agree:

It's a long story but basically the department has me targeted as a "problem" all because I'm a quiet person who just wants to get work done without getting into all the drama and gossip ("performance issues"). All the lies and accusations said are to get me to leave. The work environment is totally unhealthy for an introverted person like me.

I wish the interview hadn't been rescheduled. I'm going to inquire when they will make a decision. Hopefully not too long. Not having a job makes me feel like a failure even though I know that it's the company that is the problem, confirmed by former employees I still talk to.
 

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Feb 23, 2016
19,729
8,541
Wales uk
LTS3 LTS3 . Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow. You know you can do the job easily so just remember that and go get that job. Will be sending lots of luck to you.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #89

LTS3

TCS Member
Thread starter
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Aug 29, 2014
11,413
8,173
USA
I don't know:paranoid: Every time I think an interview (ok, a first interview) went well, I don't get an offer or I just never hear back:dunno: This was a second interview but it felt more like a "meet and greet". Maybe a good sign?:crossfingers: :paranoid: I got a tour of the lab space by the senior VP and more information about the company's plans and all that. The senior VP is quite chatty and I couldn't really get a word in:ohwell: I do listen more than I talk, though. I met the person who was just hired as the supervisor. He didn't ask too many questions about my experience or even why I was looking for a new job. I got the feeling that he was impressed with my lengthy experience, which is more than what he has, which isn't a bad thing. He asked questions about how things are done where I currently work and his plans on how he would like his facility to run. Then we had a discussion on something which I thought went well. Now that I think of it, I should have asked what he was looking for in the ideal candidate or his management style and whether he could adapt to each staff member's needs :doh::doh: One of the two positions has already been filled. I'm hoping to get the remaining position :crossfingers:

I'm to have a phone call with HR next week, just general benefits stuff. I wish I knew how many other people they did second interviews with and are considering. The fact that they rescheduled my interview this late (company needs staff by July 9 and knows that most people have to give a 2 week's notice) is promising :crossfingers: I did mention to the senior VP that if they need staff sooner, I'm able to start earlier than July 9. A decision won't be made until maybe mid-next week after HR gets a chance to discuss me with the senior VP and the supervisor. Not sure why HR needs to give input :dunno:
 

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Feb 23, 2016
19,729
8,541
Wales uk
Sounds as if it went well. Now it is a case of trying to be patient but I think that the fact that you could start before the specified date will go in your favour. As you pointed out, most have to give at least 2 weeks notice and if they dont decide until mid week, that is less than 2 weeks to 9th july. Keep us posted.
 

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Jun 29, 2017
1,439
1,220
Pennsylvania, USA
Good Luck! I was sick of my job, I hated it, and mentioned that I was interviewing for some other positions. Then my boss just decided to replace me since he figured I'm trying to leave anyway. So now I have to take a severance package and so far I have no other job. So, I understand how you feel with not having a job. Also, they wanted rid of me because I'm "too quiet" and I don't "connect with the community" and I'm not "present to the people."

I don't understand when people say I'm too quiet. I answer questions when I'm asked, I talk to people, I smile at them. It's so dumb. Just because I'm not a hyper, bubbly, overly enthusiastic annoyance...

Any way, good luck to you because I'm having the same problem.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #93

LTS3

TCS Member
Thread starter
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Aug 29, 2014
11,413
8,173
USA
Any news on the job offer?
I'm still waiting to hear back. I was told that a decision would be made this week. So still sitting on pins and needles:paranoid::crossfingers:

Supervisor is back tomorrow:cringe: It was so stress free while she away. Ok, we had equipment failures and other issues but we managed on our own.

Any tips on negotiating an offer should I get one? The company is a very small start up so they don't have the endless deep pockets of bigger well established companies in the industry. I know my cut off for salary but what if the company can't meet that? With my 15 years experience in the industry I expect a decent salary. I know what other similar positions pay in the industry.
 

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Feb 23, 2016
19,729
8,541
Wales uk
I have never had to negotiate a salary, it has always had a set starting amount.
If I were in your position and I really wanted the job, I would decide what would be the least amount acceptable. If they offer more, then that's good. If you cant live off the offered amount you need to be honest with them and tell them, remind them of your experience and what you have to offer them but be prepared that they cant meet your amount and you may have to refuse the job.
If the amount is acceptable (just) tell them you really want the job but the salary is less than expected (mention that you understand as they are a new enterprise) what are the prospects of advancement and salary increase in the next 12 months.
I know you really want to find another job asap but dont sell yourself short and also cause financial worries.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #95

LTS3

TCS Member
Thread starter
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Aug 29, 2014
11,413
8,173
USA
Nothing yet :sigh:

BUT... if HR's last email was any indication, I will be offered the job (still :crossfingers: just in case). One of my references mentioned it as well, saying that the company was excited to have me on board and were finalizing references while they put an offer package together for me.

So maybe something positive in my email tomorrow?? I'll have to sneak away to the locker room a lot during the day to check my email on my personal phone.

I really need the job and will seriously consider even a lower than acceptable salary just to get out of :censored::censored: Being a start up, the company has nothing in place yet on career advancement, company culture, etc. I asked HR. These are all things that will be worked on over the next couple of months.

I intend to notify my current HR tomorrow morning and tell them that I want the severance package and leave in a week. It's kind of scary to do without an actual job offer in hand but I'm willing to take the chance based on what HR's email and what my reference said.
 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Moderator
May 18, 2005
65,316
6,213
Massachusetts
I intend to notify my current HR tomorrow morning and tell them that I want the severance package and leave in a week. It's kind of scary to do without an actual job offer in hand but I'm willing to take the chance based on what HR's email and what my reference said.
Can you wait an extra day to do this?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #98

LTS3

TCS Member
Thread starter
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Aug 29, 2014
11,413
8,173
USA
Can you wait an extra day to do this?
No they needed an answer this morning so they can either plan for another :censored: performance meeting later in the day or start getting the package ready. I can't go through another stressful meeting with lies and accusations. And that's exactly what I told HR.

Another reference contacted me and said that she was just contacted for a reference. She also said that I have the job and I can just relax now :yess: Now I'm just waiting for the offer.
 
Top