Sebastian, the feline love of my life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow that is absolutely beautiful! It has so much feeling in it. I'm always impressed by people who can play an instrument and even more when they can write songs.
Thank you! I can't write (yet). Maybe with 25 more years.....

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG...I was looking for this video clip EVERYWHERE. I wanted to add part of it to Sebastian's final tribute video, but could never locate it. I was so upset that it was lost forever. Not giving up, I continued to look. Turns out they were stored on my computer at work for some reason (stupid) in a folder within a folder that was part of a folder. I just had to share! 

Taken when he was a little chubby, before he ever got sick....

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you, all.  
  So sorry for the delay.

Without realizing it at the time, Sebastian must have been the glue keeping it all together in our home. It's been three months since my feline love left this world, and these past few weeks have not been easy. As I mentioned before, Caesar was severely depressed for two months following Sebastian's passing (fortunately, we made it through and he's doing much better). My old boy Boo is now falling apart and within the past month has been diagnosed with CKD, IBD, and just today Restrictive Cardiomyopathy (left ventricle free wall hypocontractility) for which we started heart meds. Then there's me...trying to get through it all.

I was so dedicated to being there for Sebastian, doing anything and everything I could to give him the best quality of life possible. He needed me. Well, it has hit me quite hard recently how much I also need[ed] him. When I was stressed or upset or had a bad day at work or annoyed with people, Sebastian made it all go away. Ironically, even with part of my stress being his caretaker, it was still his bright and beautiful personality that took that stress away. As soon as I would walk through the door after a long day, Sebastian was there...tail up, talking, rubbing...so happy. It was like my bad day might as well not even existed at all. It really sucks to lose something like that in your life.

So now, with Bastie no longer around, I default to playing the piano. It has a similar effect. Here's a song I am working on (starts slow and gets faster)...
Your tribute is beautiful.  Sebastian is so handsome and precious.  

Gone, is a stunning piece of music, it's bringing tears to my eyes.  I don't know if you've ever listened on Youtube to Sad Piano music, but this piece sounds like it belongs with those works of art.  You have a beautiful gift.  

I love Sebastian playing with the tissue paper.  That was Simon's favorite too.  I just wish I got videos of it instead of stills.  Watching Sebastian playing,  bought back great memories of my baby.

You've inspired me to take my time in creating my tribute to my boy Simon.

Thank you so much for sharing.  Warm regards...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you, all.  
  So sorry for the delay.

Without realizing it at the time, Sebastian must have been the glue keeping it all together in our home. It's been three months since my feline love left this world, and these past few weeks have not been easy. As I mentioned before, Caesar was severely depressed for two months following Sebastian's passing (fortunately, we made it through and he's doing much better). My old boy Boo is now falling apart and within the past month has been diagnosed with CKD, IBD, and just today Restrictive Cardiomyopathy (left ventricle free wall hypocontractility) for which we started heart meds. Then there's me...trying to get through it all.

I was so dedicated to being there for Sebastian, doing anything and everything I could to give him the best quality of life possible. He needed me. Well, it has hit me quite hard recently how much I also need[ed] him. When I was stressed or upset or had a bad day at work or annoyed with people, Sebastian made it all go away. Ironically, even with part of my stress being his caretaker, it was still his bright and beautiful personality that took that stress away. As soon as I would walk through the door after a long day, Sebastian was there...tail up, talking, rubbing...so happy. It was like my bad day might as well not even existed at all. It really sucks to lose something like that in your life.

So now, with Bastie no longer around, I default to playing the piano. It has a similar effect. Here's a song I am working on (starts slow and gets faster)...
I'm glad Caesar is better, but so sorry to hear about all of Boo's issues
  I guess it at least helps that you are well versed in IBD at least.

That song is hauntingly beautiful, but doesn't it make you sad everything you play it?  I would have tears streaming down my face everytime I played it if I were you.  I'd think something fast and fun like "honky tonk" would be more therapeutic, but to each her own.  You play it beautifully.  I used to play, but haven't had a piano in years...never played that well though.

Glad you found that video

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Your tribute is beautiful.  Sebastian is so handsome and precious.  

Gone, is a stunning piece of music, it's bringing tears to my eyes.  I don't know if you've ever listened on Youtube to Sad Piano music, but this piece sounds like it belongs with those works of art.  You have a beautiful gift.  

I love Sebastian playing with the tissue paper.  That was Simon's favorite too.  I just wish I got videos of it instead of stills.  Watching Sebastian playing,  bought back great memories of my baby.

You've inspired me to take my time in creating my tribute to my boy Simon.

Thank you so much for sharing.  Warm regards...
Thank you!  
  I honestly never realized how many video clips and pictures I had of him until I did a total data dump from two cell phones and three camera cards to my laptop. If he was doing something cute, I'd just record it for a few seconds (or sometimes several minutes 
).

I know you're missing Simon so much, and I read that you've received his ashes. It's so heart-wrenching to lose our furbabies. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad Caesar is better, but so sorry to hear about all of Boo's issues
  I guess it at least helps that you are well versed in IBD at least.

That song is hauntingly beautiful, but doesn't it make you sad everything you play it?  I would have tears streaming down my face everytime I played it if I were you.  I'd think something fast and fun like "honky tonk" would be more therapeutic, but to each her own.  You play it beautifully.  I used to play, but haven't had a piano in years...never played that well though.

Glad you found that video
Thank you for your concern.  
  I'm back in research mode now doing what I can to help dear old Boo.

No, I don't feel sad when playing it. That's the thing about playing the piano for me. The emotion is in the music and the act of playing it. It's a different kind of release, I guess. If I feel like I could cry or am really sad, I play. And I feel better afterwards. Hard to explain. I'm sure people have other avenues for this sort of thing - crafts, gardening, swimming, going for a walk or run, etc.

There is this other song I want to play by the same artist that isn't so sad (at least not to my ears). To me, it screams LOVE in such a powerful way and gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. But it's more difficult and will take me longer to learn, so I haven't started it yet.

I went two years without a piano when I moved into my own place, and I thought I was going to die. LOL. I'd play at work, and I'd make special trips to my parents' house to play theirs. I was THRILLED when my family all chipped in to by me a decent digital piano for my birthday. 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Thank you for your concern.  
  I'm back in research mode now doing what I can to help dear old Boo.

No, I don't feel sad when playing it. That's the thing about playing the piano for me. The emotion is in the music and the act of playing it. It's a different kind of release, I guess. If I feel like I could cry or am really sad, I play. And I feel better afterwards. Hard to explain. I'm sure people have other avenues for this sort of thing - crafts, gardening, swimming, going for a walk or run, etc.

There is this other song I want to play by the same artist that isn't so sad (at least not to my ears). To me, it screams LOVE in such a powerful way and gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. But it's more difficult and will take me longer to learn, so I haven't started it yet.

I went two years without a piano when I moved into my own place, and I thought I was going to die. LOL. I'd play at work, and I'd make special trips to my parents' house to play theirs. I was THRILLED when my family all chipped in to by me a decent digital piano for my birthday. 
So now that you're in the research mode, are you familiar with this website for kidney disease?  http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm  I'm guessing you are, but just want to make sure.  This is my "go to" for anything kidney related, and all other health issues that accompany that.

Now, interestingly enough, this new song, the one you aspire to play, does NOT make me sad.  It's beautiful too, but not hauntingly so like the other one.  I just love piano music.  could listen to it all day.  That and acoustic guitar.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So now that you're in the research mode, are you familiar with this website for kidney disease?  http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm  I'm guessing you are, but just want to make sure.  This is my "go to" for anything kidney related, and all other health issues that accompany that.

Now, interestingly enough, this new song, the one you aspire to play, does NOT make me sad.  It's beautiful too, but not hauntingly so like the other one.  I just love piano music.  could listen to it all day.  That and acoustic guitar.
Thank you. Yes, of course! I know that site very well. I think I've already joined all the good CRF forums - Tanya's, Yahoo, and Facebook. 
  And I know that you are also well-versed in CRF because of your dear Callie (RIP pretty girl 
).

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my earlier post, Boo was diagnosed with RCM (restrictive cardiomyopathy) last Friday, which takes precedence. Even the kidney folks say the heart comes first. Problem is that heart meds usually make kidneys worse. He can't get fluid therapy because of his heart. RCM is the worst of the three types (hypertrophic, dilated, restrictive). From what I'm reading, prognosis is not good. For once in my life, I surely wish I had some GOOD news for you all. 
  I've been perusing the Yahoo feline heart group, which has been helpful. Concurrently trying to treat heart and kidney is a constant tug-of-war.

Anyway...

I'm glad the other song does not haunt you so! 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, treating heart and kidneys is a very fine line.  I dn't know anything about RCM and didn't realize NO fluids could be given with it.  Knew you had to be very careful about the amount given with other heart issues though.  I think many kidney cats have actually had harm done to them with too much fluid.  Possibly my own Callie.  We never even knew she had any heart issues until her last day on this earth.  So probably all the fluids brought it to fruition

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, treating heart and kidneys is a very fine line.  I dn't know anything about RCM and didn't realize NO fluids could be given with it.  Knew you had to be very careful about the amount given with other heart issues though.  I think many kidney cats have actually had harm done to them with too much fluid.  Possibly my own Callie.  We never even knew she had any heart issues until her last day on this earth.  So probably all the fluids brought it to fruition
Giving fluids to Boo would surely be risky. I would be very uncomfortable with it. 

I'm sorry; I didn't realize that Callie potentially had a heart issue.  
  I think something similar happened to Sebastian. I continued to give him fluids every other day for his pancreatitis and IBD, and he was also on prednisolone. I was so focused on his primary issues that it didn't even occur to me that he could have a heart problem. He wasn't displaying symptoms that made me think it was the heart until his last day on earth as well. There was just no way for us to know, Sally.   
  It's definitely not something at the top of the list when we see our kitties unwell.

catspyjamas1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty Sebastian was!!! My birthday is 17th March and this year the weather was beautiful - a sign they are in heaven I'm sure. I lost my Bruno yesterday, there's nothing like losing a pet and its heart warming to know that we can find comfort in the words spoken by those who have been through the same.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty Sebastian was!!! My birthday is 17th March and this year the weather was beautiful - a sign they are in heaven I'm sure. I lost my Bruno yesterday, there's nothing like losing a pet and its heart warming to know that we can find comfort in the words spoken by those who have been through the same.
Thank you. I'm very sorry you lost Bruno. 

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is nothing quite as cruel as the fact that cats have a lifespan so much shorter than ours. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I know there are no words to describe the hole that is left in your heart... but time will help to heal it. Your story sounds a lot like what I experienced with my special little man, Arlo. We were together for 12 wonderful years. He was my soul-mate. I adored him more than I've ever adored any living being of any species. He wasn't just my cat... he was my life partner. LoL. He was suddenly diagnosed with late stage liver cancer, and the vet told me he didn't have much time (maybe a month or two). Like you, we opted for holistic alternative and nutritional therapies rather than chemo and radiation. He stayed with us for another year! And then he left. I still go over all the "what if's" too. He's been gone over a year, and it still hurts... but when I really calm myself and think about things clearly, I'm happy for him. He's not suffering anymore. I picture his goofy self in a better place, pouncing on grasshoppers, playing with sticks. I'm so grateful for my time with him and I know that you are grateful for your time with Sebastian. You'll never stop loving him. He will never stop being your special little guy. But it won't always hurt this much. You'll see. Just love him. And cry when you need to... as often as necessary. It will get better. Much love to you and your dear friend on his new adventures beyond.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is nothing quite as cruel as the fact that cats have a lifespan so much shorter than ours. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I know there are no words to describe the hole that is left in your heart... but time will help to heal it. Your story sounds a lot like what I experienced with my special little man, Arlo. We were together for 12 wonderful years. He was my soul-mate. I adored him more than I've ever adored any living being of any species. He wasn't just my cat... he was my life partner. LoL. He was suddenly diagnosed with late stage liver cancer, and the vet told me he didn't have much time (maybe a month or two). Like you, we opted for holistic alternative and nutritional therapies rather than chemo and radiation. He stayed with us for another year! And then he left. I still go over all the "what if's" too. He's been gone over a year, and it still hurts... but when I really calm myself and think about things clearly, I'm happy for him. He's not suffering anymore. I picture his goofy self in a better place, pouncing on grasshoppers, playing with sticks. I'm so grateful for my time with him and I know that you are grateful for your time with Sebastian. You'll never stop loving him. He will never stop being your special little guy. But it won't always hurt this much. You'll see. Just love him. And cry when you need to... as often as necessary. It will get better. Much love to you and your dear friend on his new adventures beyond.

Thank you for your sentiments. I'm so sorry about your boy Arlo. Sebastian had such an impact on me that I suppose in 20 years I'll still be saying how much I miss him.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise