Sebaceous cysts on dogs?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has a Norwegian Elkhound, really amazing dog. He sent me this email just now to see if I knew anything about it - wondering if any of you have any clues on advice I could give him. I might see if a friend or two of mine in vet school has any info if no one here does. Thanks guys!

I noticed this weekend that she had a 'bump' on her back. The next day it was a scab. Then Sunday I found 2 more scabs on her. Monday I found yet another and took her to the vet.

After looking at her the vet prescribed 500 mg of Cephalexin, and said it could be infected hair follicles or something similar.

So today a lady witht he Elkhound Rescue said they were probably Serbaceous cysts. Evidently common in elkhound/ spitz breed dogs.

My vet says serbaceous cysts are usually one or two not 5. But since they are not causing her discomfort i.e. no scratching etc. Then let the meds try to work, but if it doesn't show some improvement by Friday we may need to biopsy one. I really don't want her to go through that.

I can't seem to find any information on the internet about how to clean them, care for them, or generally how to make them go away. I just want her to be okay.
Here are the pictures he sent -

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He should be more concerned when they become large and raised bumps. Most cysts we see usually fill with a nasty yellow oily substance and have a tendency to burst. The best thing to do is remove them when that occurs. I suggest he watch them, if they don't go away after antibiotics then worry about it. It sounds to me like his vet is doing what he is supposed to do.

Here's a pretty good picture example:
http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/cl...ew/3hilton.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Plebayo. I will pass the info on to him. He's so worried about her, and he has his own medical problems to worry about. Hopefully, she'll be just fine!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Plebayo. I will pass the info on to him. He's so worried about her, and he has his own medical problems to worry about. Hopefully, she'll be just fine!
Well in either case, even if it is the start of a cyst he doesn't really need to worry too much. They won't hurt her, other than bursting and being disgusting like big zits to people. Hopefully though, it's just something that can be cleared with antibiotics here is some info I found:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sebaceo...ogs/page1.aspx

Another thing too is when they get big they can be drained, but they just fill up again. You should tell him in any case, not to worry too much that even if they end up being cysts it shouldn't cause harm to his furkid