Seasonal Changes

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are in that oh so lovely time of year, shedding season! How does your cats coat change with the seasons? Photo evidence is highly encouraged.

I have all short hairs but Rocket does get a distinct poof in the winter. It is most obvious if you look at where her collar is. In the winter it is barely visible while in the summer it is like a loose necklace.

Winter

Summer

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka - You can thank Dorothy Hinds-Daugherty for that Snowshoe Poof. Here's Moo Shu, taken a couple of days ago:

mooshutired.jpg

Her undercoat in Winter becomes so thick that she looks like a demented Tribble - and her topcoat won't even lay down properly, witness the white floofism (or, "floofification" for our Australian Friends) apparent here along her side.

Snowshoes - finding new ways to annoy people since 1962!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From August through to February 2016/2017...

View attachment 207361
scraggles scraggles - This is undoubtedly the best illustration of extreme coat changes in longhaired breeds that I've ever seen. I'd love to see you write an article on seasonal changes for the TCS membership. I think it would be an invaluable resource - especially for newer members who are considering a longhaired cat - and especially for one of the Big Breeds - Siberians, Maine Coons or Norwegian Forest Cats.

If you touched upon grooming - the "comb first, then brush" regimen - and the temperature "comfort zones" for longhaired cats, we'd have a primer which could almost serve as a F.A.Q. - and if it were presented in the form of a forum thread, it could be added to so that a solid string of information could be shared by and with the whole of the TCS membership.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We first got to stroke Gypsy in the Fall of 2016, she was getting a thick winter coat. Last summer she never did shed out to become slick and short haired as I expected she would. Didn't really get any close up photos. These I took around Christmas 2017 to get a close up look at her bunny like coat with dense undercoat, can't get through to see her skin color lol.. She acted like I was torturing her but stayed still for three shots, she hates having her picture taken.
Bunny fur 2a.jpg
Bunny fur 3.jpg

Bunny fur 1.jpg
Fail, Bunny fur blur.jpg

Last edited: