Seasonal Allergies Vs Other Issue

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has diagnosed skin allergies. He is on prescription food, takes daily antihistamines, uses hypoallergenic litter, and even most recently the vet prescribed a topical spray for his itching. Haze still itches around his neck and chin - but seems like it’s only early morning. The remainder of the day, I do not see him scratching. He is on revolution so my thoughts of mites or fleas are not high especially since the other animals don’t seem afflicted. Any thoughts or leads as to why the scratching occurs in the AM? He was recently seen about 3 weeks ago by the vet for his yearly and given a good bill of health aside from his allergies. I will have him see vet if worsens but not sure if quite necessary just yet. Wanted the forum’s thoughts.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My allergies tend to be worse in the morning. It could be that you need to change the bedding more because allergens are collecting on the bed triggering a reaction that is more apparent when he is awake. It could also be that his medication is wearing off if you give him his medication in the morning. If you don't know what he is specifically allergic to, I would just get onto a strict cleaning schedule so you can try to reduce the allergens in the home in general.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supplementing with omega 3’s can help with the itching too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he sleeps on your bed he may be allergic to either your detergent or fabric softener.

Margret