Season Allergies Or?

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Lately my 2 cats, Duke and Gizmo, have been excessively over-grooming. A little background, Duke was at the vet 4 weeks ago for 7 dental extractions. One of his sutures ended up coming loose, so we made several trips back there. I had to treat him with antibiotics and chlorhexidine rinses. All is well on the healing front, but the multiple vet trips upset the balance of the multi cat household (I'm sure you can relate...)

I've noticed, whether it is from stress, or something else, that both cats are excessively grooming themselves and chewing their limbs for about 2 weeks. At first I thought it could be the stress and different smells in the house from surgery, but now I'm wondering if it is allergies since it is both cats.

I have read that some folks' cats suffer with seasonal allergies. Neither go outside at all, and I keep a very clean home, vacuuming twice a day. I've checked them both for fleas (no evidence yet, hopefully nothing got picked up at the vet).

I've started administering a small amount of quality salmon oil, and they're doing fine with it. Does anyone have any insight about seasonal allergies and what form that takes in your cats? Constant scratching, biting and itching? What do you think it could be? I noticed it really picked up when it got hot out.

Hoping I don't have to take them to the vet for this and upset the balance again...What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The salmon oil has worked regarding stopping the chewing and overgrooming?

Do you have feliway diffusers? Any other calming treats? There is a vet prescription calming med that works in most cases for OCD such as overgrooming but you're trying to avoid a trip - maybe you could call your vet and talk to him/her without having to take one or both cats back in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! The salmon oil has worked regarding stopping the chewing and overgrooming?

Do you have feliway diffusers? Any other calming treats? There is a vet prescription calming med that works in most cases for OCD such as overgrooming but you're trying to avoid a trip - maybe you could call your vet and talk to him/her without having to take one or both cats back in.
Hey there! I've only been using the oil for a couple days so I suppose I hadn't expected to see a benefit yet. I have not tried feliway because I read somewhere the diffusers kinda let off smoke or burning? Maybe not though. Thanks for the reply!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're so welcome!
There are collars and sprays as well, and a variety of different ingredients besides feliway, so you have choices...