Searching.....

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my life I have 'identified' with whatever I was involved in at the time. I was (and am) a wife, a mother, a grandmother, an animal lover, a cat breeder and exhibitor, a department manager on my job, a Certified Master Gardener, a hobby painter, a hobby cake decorator... the list goes on. I feel, now that I am in my 60s I am at a loss. Kids are grown and certainly don't need me much now. I only see my grand daughter about once a month. Hubby and I work different schedules so not so much time for togetherness. I had to give up breeding. My cat show career is coming to an end since I am no longer breeding. My department was absorbed by a larger department at work so I am now just an assistant manager. I have no time or interest to paint ( wasn't particularly good anyway) anymore. My arthritis/trigger finger/carpal tunnel is to bad to decorate cakes (plus we are both diabetic), and due to my failed knee surgery I can hardly garden any longer. I guess this is my rather long winded way of saying even though I am past mid life, I am having an identity crisis! Before anyone suggests working in rescue - I gave up breeding because my husband refused to give up the pet kittens and I know that would happen if I worked in rescue. I don't want to become a hoarder!!!! I have been trying my hand at writing, but even though I have had a couple of articles published, it doesn't really strike a chord with me. I don't like not having something to be focused on!! I have always found something I wanted to do and worked at it until I was good at it. Not really asking a question - more like just venting.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would imagine many of us over a certain age can identify with your post. Have you looked at any courses that are being held in your area. It could be something that requires little concentration to something that needs full concentration. You have a broad amount of experience, what about using some of that to help others.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
For me it would always be web publishing, or as it's known these days: blogging. You can find a niche that interests you - even cats - and learn how to launch your own blog, promote it and even monetize it down the road. I think it's a great challenge and lots of fun!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Lynda, I'm so sorry you're going through an identity crisis. As someone in your age category I think I can relate to some of your experiences. I have taken up exercise and dance classes for both my physical and mental health. As you mentioned a failed knee surgery and carpal tunnel syndrome would yoga be something you might be interested in? Most places offer chair yoga which is a gentler form. Since I work/worked in special education I volunteer for a non-profit organization that helps children. Maybe think of other interests you have never done before, it doesn't have to be something you excel in but rather something that might open a new door for you. For example, V verna davies suggested looking into courses in your area or Anne Anne had a great idea about blogging. Just out of curiosity, are you comfortable with public speaking? Perhaps you could speak about one of your many talents at your local library, schools, park district, etc.

This is actually a great time of your life, embrace a new adventure, take your time to find that special interest and don't be afraid to try something new. It's okay to vent, I do that every time I go to the doctor with a new ailment and they tell me it's age related, lol. I don't know if 60 is the new 40 like they say but I'd sure like to find out. :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an adult when I reached a milestone birthday I have always tried to do or take up a hobby that I have never tried before. That is how I got involved in showing cats. At present I don't have the time or energy to try classes (wish I did). I have done public speaking since I was required to do it for my certification as a Master Gardener. Soon, I am going to be involved in something I have done a little of before. I got drafted to be the regional director of the Youth Feline Education Program by the present director. I had helped out with the program before since I feel it is important to get kids involved in the cat fancy. My friend is stepping down due to having way to much on her plate. Anne, I have considered blogging, but I am not sure I have enough to say to do it. I am going to continue to write sometimes for Cat Talk magazine.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds exciting. It's good to try something different. If you don't like it dont do it again. My mother..now 94...used to breed and show dogs. She stopped at the age of 65. She was then asked if she would judge the odd show and this became her new passion.
Sometimes we have a chance meeting with someone and find out their hobby that sounds appealing to us.

Enjoy your new role and let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I hit that time of my life when I could no longer be physically involved with much. My husband modified my container garden so I don't have to bend over. He put it up on cinder blocks with 4" x4"s running between them. He built a new section for me this year so I have 72 plants (until the tomatoes finish dying from the leaf-footed bugs).

Many colleges have continuing education and lifelong learning classes that are non-credit and taught by volunteers. You have a wealth of knowledge to share and those who attend are always eager to hear what you have to offer. You could also teach adult literacy (I hear it can be frustrating because of high dropout) or English as a second language. You don't have to be bi-lingual to teach that.

With your gardening expertise, have you thought of some of the specialized plant groups that are container grown such as bromeliads, orchids, cacti, etc.? I knew someone who grew sub-miniature roses whose blooms were the size of grains of rice. He actually showed them in tiny vases.

You may no longer be able to hold a piping bag, but you should still be able to bake both breads and sweets.

It's amazing what you can do with a sewing machine these days. They make hand-sewing virtually obsolete. There are always things to sew and create. A lady in my husband's sewing group (he sews beautifully and I can hardly put on a button) makes fleece beds for local animal shelters. You just drop them off so none of the critters tempt you. She does the same with inexpensive fleece blankets for humans. Cat toys are always welcome at shelters, too. My hubby makes clothes for us, curtains, tote bags, clothes for our late granddaughter, purses, and just about anything else he wants to. It's a great way to be creative.

If you like to read, join a book club or volunteer at your local library.

W've had a lot of fun and learned a huge amount at local Citizens' Police Academies. These are usually free and are in the evening for about 8-12 weeks. We've done Precinct 4 Constables, Sheriffs, and a small but very well-equipped city police department's. They included a ride along with an officer, an eye-opening experience. We also did a fire academy where we dressed in full bunker gear and learned to hook up and coil hoses, set ladders, and as a final class, went to a training center and actually helped put out a fire in a burning building. That was a tremendous experience and we have a much greater appreciation of what firefighters do now.

Get involved with your local community theater. If you can't act, you can help build sets or scour for needed clothing or furniture. They always need hands even to take tickets.

Learn to ride a motorcycle by taking a class where the bikes are provided. Get your own bike. And no, you're far from too old. We're 71 and going strong. We have a couple of friends who have ridden their bikes all over. They're in Canada right now and will head somewhere else next week for another rally. He's 83 and she's 85.

If you like kids, get involved with Big Sisters.

Get started doing something so you'll be ready to have a happy retirement when that time comes..
P1010097.jpg

P1010100.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really trying to find something to fill my time - that is in short supply since I work full time. I am trying to find 'me' as we used to say when I was a teenager, about 100 years ago. Even though I have participated in baking competitions and even won a few, I really can't do much in that area since hubby and I are both on a restricted diet (diabetes and high blood pressure). It is no fun to bake it if you can't try it!
Sewing makes me lose my religion faster than anything else! ;)
As for the motorcycle - been there, done that. I had one in my 20s as my primary form of transportation. People drive to crazy now for me to have the courage to venture out on one.
The Regional Coordinator (I made a mistake on the title) of the Youth Feline Education Program job will have to work for me for now. I am interested in growing the cat fancy and one way to do it is through getting kids involved.
When I finally retire, I hope to study photography. I have my camera (Rebel T6s), assorted lenses, and an inexpensive light set up. I want to be able to do professional looking photos of my pets and a few of people too, I guess! LOL

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as though you know where your going in retirement but can't quite find where you fit in right now. Just enjoy what you have at this moment, sometimes things just "happen".