Searching for an informed answer.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi to all breeders out there. I admire the work you guys do. It's awesome. I am getting my first pedigrees in two sleeps time. Yay! 2 Russian black females. It was going to be two different kittens but that's a whole other story. As I am over the moon excited I am telling everyone. Almost everybody asks am I going to let them have kittens?? I am most certainly not. I am under a contract that I must have them spayed before six months or the breeder will take them back. If this wasn't the case I still wouldn't be letting them have kittens. Aside from the health risks of pyometra and breast cancer are there any other reasons I can give to people? Would there be other health risks with the offspring because of their breeding? People seriously think I would breed with them. I want to give an informed answer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell them you won't prostitute your cats for money :tongue2:. That should shut them up! Seriously, a breeder's contract requirement is good enough reason. And not wanting cats in heat howling and whizzing all over the inside of your house and attracting tomcats who will howl and whiz all over the outside of your house is another fine reason.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Russian black? (ETA: oops, I found it. You must be in Australia. . .they aren't accepted in North America)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I am in Australia. They are exactly the same as Russian Blues only black and very rare, even in Australia. They are across the other side of the country from me but the breeder has sent me countless photos. Here's one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most owners of pure breeds dont take litters, even if they can.  So you dont doing it is not peculiar.  :)

Good luck with your new two beauties!