sea grass vs sisal rope - scratchers?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old kitty likes cardboard scratchers, so we have some of those in the house, but our new guy appears to like the sisal on the cat tree (which is shredded and destroyed).
I found a scratcher with a replaceable scratching part which interests me, but the scratching part is sea grass rope. They are so similar in appearance, do you think the cats notice the difference?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't mess with success. Stick with what Kitty likes. It's ok to try the sea grass rope, but not until you get new sisal rope installed. Some cats are very particular about scratching post material and angles. Our cat Belle loves sisal rope and cardboard scratchers but pays little attention to sisal matting.

Assuming the sisal on the cat tree is wound rope, it's easy to replace. Basically, remove the old rope and wind the post with new sisal rope. Staple the rope to the post at the start of the wind and at the end. Don't staple anything in between. Keep the winds as tight as practical and if you want, apply an occasional bead of hot glue to help hold things in place. You don't have to remove the post prior to repairs, but it does make winding the rope easier.

If the post is half carpet, half rope, remove the carpet as well and cover the entire length of the post with rope. Your cat will thank you for it.