SDMA too high, difficulties with cat which hates being handled

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I think if Mogi decides she doesn't want to eat, then you can give her a dose, as simple as that. That's really what we do, it just happens to be every other day :frown:

Interesting info about kittens taken from their mom's too soon. I think my guy was taken at about 6 weeks, which is too soon, but he doesn't seem to have any digestive issues. Just isn't food driven.

Hoping the two weeks on medication is enough to jump start Mogi and get her eating plenty again. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think if Mogi decides she doesn't want to eat, then you can give her a dose, as simple as that. That's really what we do, it just happens to be every other day :frown:

Hoping the two weeks on medication is enough to jump start Mogi and get her eating plenty again. Keep us posted.
You are quite right. I'll only give her the medication when she needs it!
Mogi has probably been getting less than the recommended dose of Mirtapazin because she will have nothing to do with me when I have even the most skin-tight gloves on. So, I'd been using cotton buds, which absorb a lot of the cream. She had a good appetite on day 1 and 2, but, although she looked less straggy (and felt much softer), she avoided food on day 3. Today, she got a normal dosage: I cut one finger tip off the gloves and just covered the top of my index finger. She's eating again even if it is not with my other cats as she insists on only eating in the bathroom. :sigh:
She has put on 200g - which must be more than the weight of food going through her intestines! Another 100 g and she'll be back to what she weighed at the end of last year.

Interesting info about kittens taken from their mom's too soon. I think my guy was taken at about 6 weeks, which is too soon, but he doesn't seem to have any digestive issues. Just isn't food driven.
Don't forget, it was a very long time ago - in the days when vets were mainly treating farm animals. There was no such thing as kitten food or KMR and I was cooking scraps and offal from the local butcher to keep my kitten alive. No choice in tinned catfood and what was available was causing chronic diarrhea. At the time the average life of a cat was 8 years. I don't suppose that kittens who died were even included in the statistics.

Anyway, even my daughter, when she called in after work, said that Mogi was looking far better. Her fur, which was always soft, is no longer standing up on end. She looks and feels sleeker and less boney. Let's hope it stays that way.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad she is looking noticeable better.

BTW, we don't glove up to give the med. Just wash our hands immediately after giving it. I know it says to use gloves, but as you said, they know something is up as soon as you do it,so better not to stress them out