Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Sd Will Probably Pass Permitless Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by Willowy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Willowy

Willowy Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    This is something the legislators have been trying to get passed for several years now. Surveys show that 88% of SD residents support requiring a permit (with background check) for concealed carry, but they don't care what we think. The current governor, Daugaard, has refused to sign off on it so far. But the new governor, Noem, has expressed support for permitless carry in the past, so she'll likely allow it to pass. The current permitting process is nothing great---a regular permit only weeds out convicted felons and domestic abusers, plus requires a basic background check and a $10 fee---but at least it's something. I don't care for the idea. Open carry is bad enough.
    South Dakotans may soon be able to carry concealed handguns without a permit

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    ArchyCat purraised this.

2. Q2U

Q2U TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 27, 2018
    Why is this needed?

3. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    FREEDOM!!!

But not for domestic abuse victims of course.

Or trying to make a political statement of some sort. "Look at us! We're totally better than those stupid libruls! We have guns everywhere! Nevermind that our kids shoot themselves at stunning rates! The important thing is to make libruls mad!"

I guess.

catsknowme purraised this.

4. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ Very dangerous ..! I am surprised this is even suggested.

5. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Gasp! You want to restrict the FREEDOM!!1! for people to tote guns around everywhere with no training or background checks? How dare you! That right is more important than all the other rights put together!

---says the NRA and other gun nuts.

I really have no idea why anybody would think this is a good idea or necessary. Permitless open carry is fully legal here, there's no reason to let someone hide the gun without a permit.

catsknowme, foxden, muffy and 1 other person purraised this.

6. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    It has already passed the House and the Senate, and the Governor will sign it into law tomorrow :/. For pete's sake.
    Gov. Noem To Sign Constitutional Carry Law Thursday

I wonder how long it'll be before someone who wouldn't have passed a background check shoots someone with a concealed weapon and they change their minds. Well, they'll change their minds if that person is a woman or minority. If he's white and male they'll find a way to overlook it.

7. Q2U

Q2U TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 27, 2018
    SARCASM_ASSAULT.jpg

ArchyCat purraised this.

8. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    [​IMG]

ArchyCat and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

9. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    Wow! Isn't Deadwood in South Dakota? It's going to be stick 'em up, shoot 'em up all over again.

10. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Eh, I don't think it'll quite be "stick 'em up, shoot 'em up". Permitless open carry is already legal. I do think that more people who would not be able to pass a background check are going to be concealed carrying though. And I don't think that will end well.

"Guns everywhere, Bill!"

11. allmykitties

allmykitties TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 8, 2016
    southern IL
    If past history is any guide, there will not be any increase in shootings or other improper gun activity. On the other hand, restrictions on gun rights haven't done a thing to stem bloodshed (look at the shooting in "gun free zone" Mercy Hospital, the bar in Thousand Oaks, CA, and every single school where a shooting has occurred).

I'm also a survivor of domestic violence, and that's *why* I carry. *Legally* my ex can't get a gun (convicted felon, DV charge), but everyone with sense knows that has nothing to do with whether or not he can get a gun. I think that open carry isn't the best option from a tactical standpoint, but just putting a jacket over a holstered gun doesn't really change anything except for increasing the uncertainty a criminal will have as to whether or not to attack someone.

orange&white and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

12. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Of course a "gun-free" zone in the middle of a town in the middle of a country that has little/no restrictions isn't going to make much difference. On the other hand, you don't exactly want a bunch of high school kids waving guns at each other either.
    I don't like the idea of untrained people slinging guns around. Call me crazy, I just don't. I don't see why it's such a hardship to get a permit if you're responsible.

And, no, it may not stop somebody from illegally carrying a concealed gun, but at least they'd get in trouble if there were caught and that might stop something from happening.

micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

13. allmykitties

allmykitties TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 8, 2016
    southern IL
    Thing is--if someone is prohibited (a felon, for example), they will get in trouble if caught with a gun because it is already illegal.

Too, there are a lot of people who seek out training, practice regularly, and do not require a law to tell them to do so.

The major problem I see is a refusal by some prosecuting offices to fully prosecute straw purchases. When you go in to buy a gun, you'll see a sign somewhere near the register about "don't lie for the other guy" and that purchasing a gun for someone who can't legally buy a gun is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. So, there was a case a couple years back in the Chicago area in which a woman purchased multiple guns and provided them to a juvenile, a person on probation for dv (with gang affiliation) x2, and who knows how many others that they didn't actually catch her for. Her sentence was 15 days of community service in the Cook County Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program and 12 months probation, and they revoked her FOID. For 4 felony charges related to the straw purchases. Now *that* is something that, if the current laws were properly enforced, would do a lot more good.
    Chicago, We’ve Got a (Crime) Problem • NSSF

orange&white and ArchyCat purraised this.

14. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    That's federal law, isn't it? I'm not sure it would be enforced here. Whether it is or isn't, they couldn't be prevented from purchasing a gun, if there's no vetting process.
    And there are a lot of people who don't.
    Well, yeah, enforcing current laws would be good! Not that there are many to enforce in this state :/.

Here's what the last governor said about "Constitutional carry": South Dakota's gun laws are effective, appropriate and minimal

ArchyCat purraised this.

15. ArchyCat

ArchyCat TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    As a military veteran, I've seen many near mishaps with firearms. Rifle and pistol. Usually involving at least one person not realizing that the firearm(s) in question were loaded.

I would require that permits be required by law, so the bearer of the firearm, open or concealed carry is trained how to safely handle their firearm.

Please note, most US law enforcement officers injured by a firearm discharge are shot accidentally with their own firearm. Expect no better outcome in SD.

I see a boom in civil law suits against firearm carriers accidentally shooting people.

16. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    The basic CC permit doesn't require training anyway :/. So I suppose it's not a whole lot different. Except I just kind of think that someone who bothers to fill out a form and pay $10 might be inclined to be a teensy bit more responsible. Oh, and the background check. I think that's important.
    Already have the 3rd highest rate of gun accidents involving minors (I couldn't find the data for adults). Not sure it could get too much worse.
    S.D. ranks third in nation for accidental shootings involving minors

I personally know someone who shot himself in the foot when he was 11. One of my co-workers has a friend who accidentally shot and killed his brother when they were teenagers. It's not rare.

17. ArchyCat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    In Texas, the CC permit require two (or it did) days of training. The first day ie a three or four hour class room on the law covering firearm usage. Plus there maybe an hour or so training on how to maintain your pistol. The second day is a 5 or 6 hour session at a firing range. Some courses provide firearms for everyone to use. That way they are all the same type/model of firearm. And the firing range session includes safety instruction.

orange&white and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

18. ArchyCat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    About shooting in the foot. When I was in Nam, one of our detachment sites was over run by sappers (hit and run with satchel charges (explosives)). The second officer in the detachment command shot himself in the foot. With a .45 pistol. While buckling on his pistol belt in the orderly room prior to running outside to shoot at the sappers. That probably saved his life. The sappers also had automatic AK-47s and hand grenades.

So you can shoot yourself in the foot even if you are trained.

19. Q2U

Q2U TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 27, 2018
    IMO, American gun myths are much to blame for this American male drive to arm oneself and display one's firearms. The NRA's more guns solves gun violence (disclaimer: ex-member here) is certainly to blame. But I blame Hollywood even more for the demented gun fascination disease infecting American males. The showdown at the OK Corral -- where the good guy draws his sidearm and drills the bad guys between their eyes -- is an American myth, with the truth being that when bullets fly the uncontrollable response is to wet your pants, pray, spray, and run away. Live fire training followed by combat experience will help abate that natural response. Once a week a the range or displaying a sidearm at the mall won't.

bullet.jpg

20. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ This has always been troubling to me. Gun safety/ shooting skill ; civil law regarding self-defense should be required. Many people do this on their own but it should be mandatory.

orange&white purraised this.