Scruffing Vs. Picking Up

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the shelter we don't scruff unless it's really necessary and tbh I've never been comfortable scruffing an adult cat, especially since we get plenty of bigger cats and overweight cats as surrenders. We pick up the ones that allow us to and for anyone else we try bribery methods to get them back in their enclosures at night. For most cats this works. But we have a handful that are tricky. Because we don't scruff as routine I'm really not confident with my scruffing skills. I prefer to lift cats but of course it's not as easy (for me) if the cat wasn't taught early on that being lifted was safe.

My questions are- can adult cats learn to be lifted up? How do you move an obese angry cat (other than toweling)?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is NO way that I could pick up my almost 18 lb, 14+ yo cat by the scruff. Actually, for her, I have to have two hands/arms available. But, then again, she lets me even if she protests occasionally.

You have much more experience with this than I do, but I don't think I would want to try to pick up any cat by the scruff if they are more than 5 lbs. Toweling would be the only thing (with or without oven mitten gloves) I would know to do with an overweight angry cat.

I am sure other members will come along soon and offer better advice than I can give!

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a child the vet told us that scruffing an adult cat would cause damage to it's eyes, possibly making them pop out. Scruffing did not happen. He also said the only time you grab a cat by it's tail is to save it's life. I've seen a certain humane society say it doesn't hurt them. That's BS. It can damage the nerves causing incontinence and no future owner. I suspect that humane society was looking for reasons to put cats down.

I don't scruff to lift a cat. I will scruff while supporting the back half with my other hand. I will scruff if it's an emergency. So far, no emergency has required that I actually lift the entire cat off the ground/table/whatever, so most of his weight remains supported by the ground etc. I use the scruff to immortalize for a few seconds. It usually works, but now always.

I think the scruff works because of the pattern of nerves rather than kitten behavior. Sometimes the nerves aren't in the required pattern in a particular cat. I've seen a mother cat find it impossible to restrain a kitten - 5+ weeks old with the scruff. There is no reason to assume cat nerves are more uniform than human ones.

I have scruffed when the cat launched himself toward my head. I scruffed and brought him down following his own arc to land on the table. I don't like for them to leap at my head, or really any other part of me. I'm fussy like that.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, went off without focus.

Re-reading your post, marmoset, the answer to your question is, yes, scruff for control, but don't pick up the adult cat's weight. I suggest you find a friendly, cuddly sort of kit and practice with him or her. If you gather the right amount of skin - basically about what would be collected under a finger length mat - and the cat goes limp, you've done it right.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong but I didn't think you are suppose to pick up a cat by the scruff once they are are more then a few pounds since it can cause damage. Once they are big/adults you scruff them then scoop them up, never having more then their front feet off the ground/table/whatever.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
amethyst, in my opinion you are absolutely right. I only leave the one exception, that being to save the cat's life. You may damage the cat by lifting it with the scruff, but if you're certain it will die if you don't, that's the exception.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
As a child the vet told us that scruffing an adult cat would cause damage to it's eyes, possibly making them pop out.
That made me queasy to read, is it true?
I don't have the nerve to Google it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That made me queasy to read, is it true?
I don't have the nerve to Google it.
Lol - and not funny at the same time. I won't Google it. Just know I haven't ever done it and will certainly not ever try it - particularly if no other part of the body is supported. [I did see videos, and yeah, their eyes are kind of 'popping out' a bit. I am sure they are freaked out, but still it is enough for me.]

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think scruffing is a useful way to immobilize a cat to avoid a potentially serious bite. Depending on the shelter, if an adult cat does damage to a worker or volunteer, this may stick them on the euthanasia list, so a scruff to still them and then scooping up as amethyst amethyst suggested is how we've always done it, too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only the one cat to ever practice with but I do the scruff, squish, and scoop. Grab the scruff and instead of lifting, I gently squish the cat down into a more submissive position. This is a mama cat tactic, “Hey! Pay attention!” Then I scoop under her bottom and hold her into my body like a football while I adjust the scruff hand to under her ribs. One hand under the bottom, one under the ribs. Krista secured against my body. She’s not crazy about being lifted but she’s not a whirling dervish of teeth and claws about it either. To set her down, I make sure to set her down solid on her own back paws first before I unload the rest of her weight.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never pick a cat up by the scruff, and scruffing is always a last resort. I never do it if there's a more dignified and comfortable option.

Usually, if I'm scruffing, it's to get a cat out from somwhere - usually the carrier at the vet's, or when I have to get hold of a hiding cat (usually to check for an injury). I'll scruff and slide/pull them towards me until they're close enough for me to get a hold on them in a more comfortable/appropriate way.

I hate having to scruff, but sometimes it's the best (or only) option.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't googled the eye thing either. People do lie a lot to children, but I don't want to read the article if it's true. I mean think about pugs, pekes, and Boston terriers. That's enough for me.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never say Never because there could be a "time".
So, if that time ever comes and find yourself with a handful of scruff? Use the other hand under their hiney to take most of the weight off.