Screaming non-stop an hour before food time...and now the dog is joining in!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate for my first cat post after a long hiatus to be about my cat driving me crazy...but she's driving me CRAZY! For the past few months, Reese has been marching into my office about an hour before dinnertime screaming her little head off. If you turn to look at her, she will dart away because by golly she KNOWS she isn't supposed to be in here doing that while I'm working! After a few times of getting in 'trouble', she will sit just out of reach or around the doorway shrilling at the top of her lungs, and I swear she hardly stops for breath. And there's no door on my office so there's no shutting her out.

It's not that she really wants food. She usually picks at it for a moment and then happily walks away. She craves the routine of me getting up to feed her. That's all she wants. Everything has to be an unwavering just so. But the fact that she will yowl for it for an entire HOUR, maybe more, is insane. And lately our poor dog...well, I guess he's had enough of it. When she comes in and starts doing her dinner song, he starts howling too! And tossing his head, clipping his teeth at the sky, and generally acting extremely annoyed. I don't blame him one bit! It's awful! I have no idea where to start aside from getting up an hour before dinner to lock her in the mudroom with her litter box.
:frustrated:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry TobiDaDog TobiDaDog but this has me in fits of laughter.. I know it's not funny for you, but the sight of the two of them in full chorus...

I was going to say she'll get sick of it, but if it's been going on for months, maybe not. Have you tried just totally ignoring her? She's looking for a response.. even you glaring at her would be enough. But if she's doing it out of sight, that's not going to work.

I'd be tempted to do the locking her in the mudroom thing (which is a whole new word for this Australian.. is it where people keep their mud?).. (I did google it)...

Otherwise, earplugs? :biggrin:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What is his eating schedule? How many times a day? My cats like to play before eating. Usually if I talk she quiets down. Mostly mornings, my cat eats then comes back 2 more times. Same eating schedule as a wild cat. A food timer with 5 servings might help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry TobiDaDog TobiDaDog but this has me in fits of laughter.. I know it's not funny for you, but the sight of the two of them in full chorus...

I was going to say she'll get sick of it, but if it's been going on for months, maybe not. Have you tried just totally ignoring her? She's looking for a response.. even you glaring at her would be enough. But if she's doing it out of sight, that's not going to work.

I'd be tempted to do the locking her in the mudroom thing (which is a whole new word for this Australian.. is it where people keep their mud?).. (I did google it)...

Otherwise, earplugs? :biggrin:
You know, it honestly is where we keep our mud! ;) It's the "kick off your filthy boots" room anyway. But yes, it doesn't matter if you ignore her or not. She doesn't really care if she has a captive audience. As long as she KNOWS she's within hearing range...and somehow she does know!!

I suppose earplugs could work. (Or some loud music to drown her out) Of course, I'd have to get a pair for our poor dog too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is his eating schedule? How many times a day? My cats like to play before eating. Usually if I talk she quiets down. Mostly mornings, my cat eats then comes back 2 more times. Same eating schedule as a wild cat. A food timer with 5 servings might help
She eats twice a day. Once around 10 AM and once around 8. She's pretty slim and doesn't eat much. Even half a 5 oz can usually gets nibbled at and then it's all done and dusted for her. Like I said, it isn't really the food that she's interested in!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried picking her up when she screams and giving her a little cuddle? She just might be craving the attention more than the food and a few minutes on your lap will keep her quiet for another hour. Or just give in and move their dinner hour to 7:00. It shouldn’t affect them much and if it gives you some peace it is worth it.

And I have always though it should be called a snow and sand room since that is what I being into the house in abundance during long Minnesota winters.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is a big eater. Amazing that shes 9 pds. Big in size. When she eats in the morning, 1/2 5 oz can but eats only what she needs. Never finishes her plate. It is annoying that I have to sit down and wait 5 minutes, then she whines for more. If she still acts like she wants more I play with her or talk to her. After eating she likes attention, then jumps on the tower and cleans herself
20191101_181801-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And lately our poor dog...well, I guess he's had enough of it. When she comes in and starts doing her dinner song, he starts howling too! And tossing his head, clipping his teeth at the sky, and generally acting extremely annoyed. I don't blame him one bit!
Oh I'm sorry TobiDaDog TobiDaDog TobiDaDog TobiDaDog but this has me in fits of laughter.. I know it's not funny for you, but the sight of the two of them in full chorus...

I am sorry...I giggled too.
Could it be she is off due to the time change ? (Louie has started staring at me an hour earlier since the change...)