Screaming in your sleep?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of times I dream that "something" is after me, and I scream in my dreams. More often than not, I also scream in real life at the same time, waking Charlie up. As a general rule, he will wake me up to shut me up
. Tonight I was dreaming, and screaming, woke him up, but he decided to just let it "get" me.... told me that I was screaming "help, help"... stopped screaming that and let out three bloodcurdling screams and shut up. .... Gee thanks, sweetheart. That's ok....HE can't go back to sleep now.....

So, my question is.... do you scream in your sleep, or not? Am I just strange?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My "screaming" dreams would be me being extremely angry at someone in the dream. And yes, I do wake up shouting. But the person I am angry with is never there. And instead of being frustrated I laugh at myself.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you suffer from night terrors? I have since I was very young. They're horrible and I went for years sleeping with a light on because I couldn't handle the dark. I've gotten a lot better and seem to be growing out of it as I get older.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scream in my sleep from time to time as well. I'm going through a rough time in my life right now so usually have dreams pertaining to that and will wake up screaming. It usually takes me a bit to calm down because even though I've woken up I almost still feel stuck in the dream- very scary!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't scream in my sleep but I have been having REALLY bad night sweats as well as horrible nightmares lately. I do believe they are a side effect from one of my medications though, so I'm going to do to my doctor next week to see what can be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always, ever since I was a child, had very vivid dreams.... not always scary, although Charlie says if I could write them all down, I'd have more money than Stephen King, lol! I dreamed once as a child that something was chasing me and caught me by my hair... and I woke up....I was lying in bed, and something had a hold of my hair!......my arm was under my head, asleep, and my hand had my own hair caught in it!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have terrible nightmares, and often wake up screaming. Mine are usually recurring, with a little more revealed each time.
I have been having one lately where a chubby little Sphynx kitten comes and sits between my feet, crying to be picked up. I picked her up, and looked up at something apparently terrifying, because I start screaming and trying to protect the kitten.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never find myself screaming in my sleep, but I found myself holding something to eat, when I;m going to put it in my mouth, I wake up...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have woken my self up by yelling out, don't know if I can call it a scream but it was like aggggggggg and it did wake me from the nightmare. It was hard getting to sleep after that.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had night terrors as a child, too, and had to scream to break out of them. Usually I was having an asthma attack at the same time (all due to stress from childhood abuse) so I many times couldn't scream to wake up! It was bad. My sister taught me to lucid dream so I could get out of the night terrors without screaming.

You aren't strange at all, the dreams are your body's response to stress. I'd recommend learning lucid dreaming, for Charlie's sake and for your own rest.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to scream when I woke up from nightmares when I was little.

I have very vivid dreams, usually bad, but I don't wake up screaming. I've had sleep paralysis a couple of times. That's really scary. Feel like you can't move, being held down, can't scream. Sometimes see something, or hear someone.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My nightmares tend to be more... fear than terror, and I don't remember too many screams.

Gary wakes up screaming... but that's different. That's the war.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still think I need to write a book, lol! One of my favorites to tell on myself, I think Charlie threatened to kill me... I was dreaming one night that there was something coming into our bedroom door, on the floor, so I'm hanging off the bed as I'm waking Charlie up to turn on the lamp (mind you, we BOTH had touch lamps) so that I could see what it was. I got him awake, he turned on the lamp for me, at which point I woke up, turned to him and asked him why he turned it on.... laid back down and promptly went back to sound sleep.... leaving him fuming because he couldn't......

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've woken DH up doing stuff in my sleep. Sometimes crying, sometimes talking, sometimes sitting up and mumbling something and then falling back down. Sometimes he wakes me up; sometimes there is no point. But one time I do remember. I'd gotten up out of bed and was standing at the wall in our bedroom. I remember that I was like pushing buttons and turning some knobs. I woke up because DH asked me what I was doing. I don't remember my reply; just getting back in bed. I've also woken up to find I'd taken my shirt mostly off... I've done that twice. Both times I was alone so no blaming DH! LOL! Iv'e found that when I'm crying out in my sleep because of a bad dream and DH wakes me up; I don't remember the dream and I can go right back to sleep. It's like he interrupts it before it gets too bad or something.

I have a friend who will stand up in bed in her sleep and then flop down (even giving her DH a black eye before). She is a twin and her brother does crazy stuff in his sleep too.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've woken myself up before yelling from a bad dream, but nothing so bad as you describe! DH will sometimes mumble in his sleep, but again that's pretty mild.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You aren't strange at all, the dreams are your body's response to stress. I'd recommend learning lucid dreaming, for Charlie's sake and for your own rest.
How does one learn lucid dreaming? That sounds really interesting, and insightful of your sister to teach you.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't actually scream, but I do yell stuff like FIRE! DH always wakes me up, and he says it doesn't sound like words just weird noises. My grandfather used to do that, make these weird noises, wake me up, scared the heck out me.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL.... yeah I have lots of fun stories about sleeping/screamingnight terrors.

I've had 2 night terrors in the last 3 years or so. I think I used to have them as a kid too, I remember having one as a teen....

The first one DH (at the time he was just BF though) and I were at my dads, and I woke up screaming bloody murder and my father can running in in his underwear with a gun, thinking somone was trying to kill me... I have no idea what I was dreaming about, but I was TERRAFIED. This was probally triggered by my fathers witch of a gf being particurly witchy to me that weekend.....

The more recent one was actually in November DH, DD and I were at my moms house and I woke the whole house up screaming again, and again I have no idea why, but I was terrafied and as soon as I realized I was awake I grabbed DD and just held her close. I assume this one was triggerd by her turning blue in her sleep a few weeks prior......

My DH on the otherhand has a sleep disorder called REM Behavior Disorder and wakes up screaming/yelling/startled pretty much nightly, about 1-3hrs after he goes to bed... and people ask me why I stay up so late, lol. He never remembers it, even when we have entire conversatoins after. One time, at my fathers, actually.... same trip..... he actually got out of bed, walked over to the blinds and opened and closed them 10 times or so saying "up.... down..... up....down..... ect" I was laughing hysterically, then I told him to go back to sleep so he did.... he listens REALLY well when he wakes like this lol

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

How does one learn lucid dreaming? That sounds really interesting, and insightful of your sister to teach you.
Yeah, she was just a kid herself and had her own nightmares going, so she figured out how to make herself lucid then taught me, this was decades ago when nobody had really heard of it. There's lots of internet info on lucid dreaming; basically she said I should tell myself every night before going to sleep that I would know when I'm dreaming. Then she said to change the ending of the dream to get out of it. It worked really well.

My husband used to thrash around sometimes in his sleep; but not so much any more. Once he was trying to bring down a tree in his dream (with his bare hands), it was pretty impressive and scary. The kitties and I learned when it's time to abandon ship and dive off the bed.