Scratching

Reopichi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why does my cat rub her body against me and show affection. She's also purring. But everytime I reach out my hand to pet her she scratches me aggressively. Why does she do that all the time?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why does my cat rub her body against me and show affection. She's also purring.
Because she loves you. :catlove:

Here's a TCS article with more info:
Why Do Cats Rub Against You? – TheCatSite Articles

But everytime I reach out my hand to pet her she scratches me aggressively. Why does she do that all the time?
That's a bit more difficult to answer, but I think maybe because for a cat, stretching and scratching feels good. Like when they scratch their scratching post. Or the sofa or carpet. So scratching you is the same thing. She just doesn't realize she's hurting you. So when she scratches you, say "owwww" in a high pitched tone. That is how another cat would respond if she was playing too rough with them.

As for the claws themselves, if you can clip the tips, that will get rid of the razor sharp ends, and hopefully protect you from scratches.
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws – TheCatSite Articles

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wondering how you are reaching out--what part of her body are you reaching for? Are you letting her smell you first? My cats don't scratch, but still insist that I let them smell my hand before I pet them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat doesn't scratch me, but she lets out a yelp as if in surprise if she can't see my hand coming toward her in advance of a petting, even when she is interacting with me in some manner. Some cats get startled by certain hand movements more than others - things like reaching over the top of their heads from behind or from the side. Letting your cat see your hand - and/or sniff it, as mentioned above - before petting is likely to curb the scratching.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that she was startled. Some cats do get overstimulated or don't like certain body parts touched. Sometimes it's a pain response. I would present the hand first, then pet. Fynn likes to rub up against our legs, but its generally when he's hungry and letting us know he's hungry. Not so much that he wants affection lol. Sometimes it can be an attention-seeking behaviour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reopichi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why does my cat rub her body against me and show affection. She's also purring. But everytime I reach out my hand to pet her she scratches me aggressively. Why does she do that all the time?
I guess it was the trauma from being pinched on the neck. Uhm, it's a long story and i regret it 😭 she's starting to trust me but not to the extent of allowing me to pet her yet. Also, she's in heat that's and it's unusual for her to be affectionate with me. I thought I could take advantage of it and pet her but she's still aggressive as ever.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When a cat is in heat, her hormones are all kinds of mixed up. It’s no wonder she behaves the way she does. Get your cat spayed as soon as possible. Being in heat can be torture for a cat.