Scratching woodwork

cpdst5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have 2 year old cat who keeps scratching the woodwork in my house. Doorways and the banister that is for the stairs is what he won't let alone. We spray him with water when he does it and we've tried the citrus spray along with a scratching post, but with no luck. I don't want to have to get him declawed because I heard that's very painful for them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else can be done?

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of scratching post? How tall is it? Do you have just one post?

If he likes scratching wood surfaces I'd make him a nice tall sturdy post with a 4 x 4 and some plywood.

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It takes patience. Whenever you see him scratching where he shouldn't be, pick him up and put him on the scratching post. Spraying water doesn't work. All it does is stops the immediate scratching and if they actually see you do it it just makes them spiteful. You may also want to pick up more than one scratching post. We have 2 cat trees and one of those cardboard ones that lay flat on the floor, he might like that. He might also like one that's all wood instead of carpet or sisal rope. It's going to take a little trial and error. Try picking up a catnip spray and spray the scratching posts with that, it may help. Please don't de-claw him, it's the equivalant to amputating up to his second knuckle. Not nice, it causes problems with the way he's gonna walk. Plus if he's 2 years old, it's going to be very cruel it would be like you reaching age 20 (that's how old your cat is in cat years)and your parents taking you in and having your finger tips amputated. If the banister is a real problem area try picking up a sscat

That way he's not associating humans with it. It works well. Hope this helps, like I said it's gonna take patience and time, it's not a quick fix thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hear the ssscat works really well. given how my 2yr old boy just reacted when I opened a pop can and it hissed, i can see why lol. I hiss at matt when he scratches something he shouldn't, and he has a cardboard scratcher hung on one of his favorite door frames........if he wants to scratch where the woodwork is, maybe something less destructive that's his could be allowed. i popped a couple of treats into the cardboard to let him know it was his and sprayed it with nip and he uses it a lot now

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved a senior (15+ y/o) outdoor kitty indoors w/ me last fall. She liked to scratch door frames, cabinets, etc - any & all woodwork. I got double sided 'sticky tape' to apply where she scratched - and after a short time she got the idea. I also placed large/sturdy scratching posts around the house when she liked to scratch the most.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kat scratches front door frame when he wants out.

It's the only woodwork he claws at, he knows we will let him out quick so he doesn't do much damage.

Rest of the time he's quite happy with scratching post I made (4 ft piece of cedar with 100ft of 1/4" sisal rope wrapped tightly around it)

Surprisingly, 100 ft is only about 3ft on a 4x2 piece of timber.when wrapped tight

Rope was $3.99 at Harbor Freight Tools, cedar I forget, Home Depot but wasn't expensive