Scratching walls?

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats have started to scratch the wall right by their main litter box. After they use it, they burry, then before getting out they scratch at the wall. They have another smaller litter box in another area of the house and it doesn’t happen by that one. I’m not sure what to make of it. Since I can’t figure out why they are doing it, I don’t really know how to stop it. They have several different scratching posts that they use all the time so it’s not that don’t have a healthy place to scratch. They are completely bonded and love each other to pieces so I don’t think it’s a territorial thing. One is a 13 month neutered male and the other is an 11 month spayed female. The obvious solution is moving the litter box so it’s away from the wall, but if there’s a reason they are doing it I would like to address it. Any ideas why they are doing this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You might try getting a black light and see if there's urine on the wall.

If there is, clean it with an ezymatic cleaner, and you could try a big high-sided storage tub where you cut out an access, --to surround the litterbox, or put unscented puppy pee pads on the wall, or a large plastic sheet.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had wall scratching, paint removed, holes in the wall made bigger. I think maybe it starts as a stretching ritual or something, but it becomes a fun thing in their mind once they make some progress. So if you have visible alteration in the wall/paint, or even if you don't, my first line strategy is just block access to the dang spot, and see if they stop once the fun-thing aspect is gone. Maybe move a scratching post in front of the spot. If that doesn't work, then I would consult the guide for furniture scratching and use the strategies from that.

How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture