Scratching Posts Never Get Used

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New cat carer (per my other posts).

I have had Thermose about a month now and I never see her use the scratch pads. She isn't scratching furniture, me, or anything else. It's not an elaborate scratch area but I thought maybe something was wrong with it. I just thought they and toys I bought would get more use. Also Catnip seems to have no motivating effect.

She seems really bored with games I try. Much happier to get groomed, and displays multiple ways of affection as per Articles on this site.

Everything else normal from what I can tell.

Jason/Thermose

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn't scratching the furniture, be happy! :D

My kitten doesn't use her posts or cardboard scratching thingies, but loves my $2000 wool area rug and custom-upholstered Thomasville chair...Serta mattress, homemade roman blind curtains, etc. etc. etc. She does like to rub on the posts when I sprinkle organic catnip though. So they're getting some use. lol

Feel lucky yet? :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties aren't big on scratching, so if she's happy with things that way, be glad! Maybe try a catnip cardboard scratchpad---a lot of cats love those.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How tall is he? Is the vertical post tall enough for him to stretch out to his full length? Sometimes cats feel like they need "permission" to use a scratching post. Charlie was like this, the way that I taught him to scratch his post is to pretend to scratch it myself. Something else you can do is play with a fishing-pole type toy around the post. Have Thermose chase the toy around and then put the teaser near the top of the post and wiggle it to intice Thermose to go after it. As he attempts to get the toy, he should figure out that the scratching post feels great for his claws. Let me know if any of these suggestions work!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she's not scratching furniture, that's a good thing. :) However, you could try getting some different types of scratching things, as not all cats like the same scratching materials. For example, my Ruby totally ignores the cardboard scratchers, but loves anything made of carpet, including (unfortunately) actual carpet. :frown: She also likes scratchers that hang from door handles, so you could also try something like that.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine never uses her scratch post either apart from holding it to stretch ! She doesn't scratch furniture so I just assume not all cats feel the need !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am always worried she is bored. Oh and buying items that I get excited about then never get used is a little dissapointing and a financial waste.

After reading threads it seems that every Cat personality is different. I will keep tinkering.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am always worried she is bored. Oh and buying items that I get excited about then never get used is a little dissapointing and a financial waste.

After reading threads it seems that every Cat personality is different. I will keep tinkering.
Some of my kitten's favorite toys are pretty cheap so I don't feel disappointed if she doesn't like them.

I made her feather-toy with items from Hobby Lobby for about $5: a children's costume feather boa ($3 for 4 feet of feathers), a 59 cent dowel rod, a stretch of elastic ($1.50) and kitchen string (already on hand). I'm just cutting 3-4" pieces of the feather boa off to refurbish the toy when she tears the last group of feathers up.

I cut holes in a plastic shoe box and dropped in small balls, pom-poms and fuzzy mice for her to fish out. She loved it, but she's a smart one and figured out how to tip the box over and open the lid to get all the toys. Need to rework that one with a cardboard box.

Cheap ping pong and golf balls make interesting noises rolling across a hard floor surface.

Cats like balls of aluminum foil or wadded paper, toilet paper tubes (hide toys or treats inside), the rings from milk carton lids and cardboard boxes. You don't need to invest a fortune in toys; she doesn't know what things cost, just whether they're fun or not.

It is disappointing though to buy scratching posts/pads/equipment and have them not be used. I'm with you there. May try the valerian myself!

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, kitties all have their own preferences! I wasted so much money when I first adopted Alice buying her things she didn't like. Now I can predict pretty reliably what things she'll like. My advice is to try to go the cheap/homemade route as much as possible until you get to know her better. There's tons of DIY cat toy tutorials you can find online. Try out all kinds of toys/scratchers to see what she enjoys most!

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How tall is he? Is the vertical post tall enough for him to stretch out to his full length? Sometimes cats feel like they need "permission" to use a scratching post. Charlie was like this, the way that I taught him to scratch his post is to pretend to scratch it myself. Something else you can do is play with a fishing-pole type toy around the post. Have Thermose chase the toy around and then put the teaser near the top of the post and wiggle it to intice Thermose to go after it. As he attempts to get the toy, he should figure out that the scratching post feels great for his claws. Let me know if any of these suggestions work!
I tried all of that and it didn't work for Tasha. I clip her claws regularly so she can't hurt my Oriental. She has taken to scratching on my massage chair, which is covered in microsuede (is that the right word?) and which I'm planning to get rid of. I'm allowing her to claw the chair. It's also where she sits and sleeps. I'm definitely trying Valerian.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I tried all of that and it didn't work for Tasha. I clip her claws regularly so she can't hurt my Oriental. She has taken to scratching on my massage chair, which is covered in microsuede (is that the right word?) and which I'm planning to get rid of. I'm allowing her to claw the chair. It's also where she sits and sleeps. I'm definitely trying Valerian.
Hurt your Oriental cat or oriental rug? I'm just curious, lol. There is no harm in regular nail trims for cats. Just be sure that you don't cut them by the pink part at the bottom of the claw, as this can cause bleeding. Why do you want to get rid of that chair? It seems as if she claimed it as hers, removing it could upset her.

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oriental RUG. lol Never fear, abyeb, I clip the claw tips only. I want to get rid of the chair because it's too big for my little apt. and it's half-broken so that all it does is roll up and down your back. The Shiatsu massage action broke. Tasha has settled in several places around the room. This chair is just the latest. She seems to be very flexible.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I thought you were talking about an Oriental cat! :doh:

My kitten is destroying my expensive wool area rug even with her claws clipped weekly. Meanwhile, all the cat-scratching devices remained unharmed. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is disappointing though to buy scratching posts/pads/equipment and have them not be used. I'm with you there. May try the valerian myself![/QUOTE]
Hey thanks. It is likely too small for Thermose. Thermose was an unexpected addition in my life and have just been filling the gap with kinda cheaper stuff until I can buy a large tree later this month. I am happy that she doesn't scratch anything I don't want her too, she's very docile.

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a post but he doesn't really use it unless I put catnip on it.

He perfers the area rug in my living room. I have wood floors but have a rug in the main area.
Our last cat perferred the area rug also and to be honest, FINE BY ME! :p

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try a taller post and a flat scratcher. Try different textures - cardboard, carpet, sisal. Spray with catnip - Kong Naturals is good.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For toys, try a box. I haven't found a cat yet that doesn't entertain itself for hours with a box.
Be glad your cat isn't scratching. My kitten just learned that she can sharpen her claws, and she used my foot.