Scratched By Cat

Textsfromthemoon319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place, I've just joined now and I'm so glad to have found such a knowledgable group.

Before I start off with my question I just want to say if things seem far fetched or over dramatic, I suffer from an anxiety disorder which is what has really set this all off to begin with.

So there's a kitty who comes into my families yard sometimes, she visited last week once and again on Monday. My brother says he's seen her a few times before while I was away at college. She's vocal, approaches you very easily and is quite on the chubby side, we live in a pretty upscale neighborhood with little to no feral or stray cats, so I'm assuming she's some bodies fur baby?

Anyway so Monday evening she showed up, mowed to me and walked up to me, I pet her a bit and she then crawled underneath the deck behind our house. Like I said she's a bit fat and I was worried about her getting stuck down there so I followed down after her, she was just sitting up on a ledge so I reached my hand out to her but she scratched at it and hissed. I ended up with two very small scratches on my hand, skin was barely broken. A few minutes later my mom saw her come out from under the deck and she was just sitting/laying around on some rocks on our property.

Of course my anxiety has gone into overdrive convincing me that somehow this cat has rabies and that I could get rabies from this encounter. I have been freaking out since it happened.

The scratches themself look to me to be nearly completely healed, they're not painful at all and there's no swelling, they're close to being the same color as my skin.

Is there any realistic concern I should have from this situation? There was no rabies related behavior from what I described? Are there any chances that I could be infected as a result of this encounter? I'm sorry if I sound absolutely stupid I'm just really trying to put my mind at ease!

EDIT1: in case location is relevant I live in the northeast United States

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you followed a cat who wanted to be alone and got scratched for it. I would have absolutely no worries about rabies. It was just your standard everyday annoyed cat reaction.

My boy likes to visit one of the neighbors. She is a little old lady and enjoys Links company. Link is a very opinionate cat who does not like anything but his head pet. He will tolerate more from me and he knows what is acceptable with our family. The neighbor tried to pet him and he bit her. Love bit and no broken skin, just a warning. She then told me she was worried about him and was afraid to pet him. I told her that anything below his collar is a trap. As long as she keeps her petting above the collar he wouldn't bite her.

It's just knowing the cat involved.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree with Kieka Kieka , above.
And add that since you mentioned that the cat comes by occasionally, looks well fed, and does not act odd, ...then I, too, would not worry about rabies.

(Usually, when this happens to me, I just wash the area with some soap, and put alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide on it.
But you sound even better, with the scratch, healing up so quick. You must have a good system. Mine feel like 'paper cuts' for a while.)

If you see the cat again, try to get a photo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Textsfromthemoon319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your responses they have helped so much!

We were also speculating if she may be pregnant, but she doesn't look so fat now that I'm looking at the pictures of her, I think she may just a stocky cat, But I'll definitely keep an eye on her and maybe call a vet or something similar if she appears to get larger?

When I get home from college I will post the pics I have of her in this thread :) I took a photo of the scratches she gave me as they are today so I'll post that as well.

Thank you guys so much!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re-reading your OP, you probably put your hand in front of her when she scratched you. Always go from behind with a cat. In fact, never touch a stray cat unless you're 100% sure they are friendly.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Re-reading your OP, you probably put your hand in front of her when she scratched you. Always go from behind with a cat. In fact, never touch a stray cat unless you're 100% sure they are friendly.
Behind? Are you sure?:think:
I thought you are supposed to just put your fist out, and let the cat sniff you, first?
If you come from behind, or make any sudden movements, then you'll scare them.

But yes, you are right, better not touch a stray, unless you know how they are. :)
(I got scratched by my own cats, too, though...so go figure. :cringe:
I think the rule is ...."Watch the signs, and don't irritate your cat".);)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd disagree on the always go from behind to pet. Unless you are trying to trap or catch them. My girl freaks out if you pet her from behind. You can only pet her if she see you coming.

However, yes don't pet a stray unless you know they are friendly. For most cats that would mean if you hold out a hand they come to you. If a cat goes away from you then you let them go. Following them will usually result in them getting defensive because they were leaving for a reason.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't like a hand coming towards their face, especially a stranger's. Humans are the same way. Obviously when you come from behind you go very gently, maybe with just a finger at first. If you want the cat to sniff your hand first, I would approach the cat sideways.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sideways might work.

Behind.... yeah Rocket would bolt. Link might smack or bite you if he didn't see it coming. Fury is the one out of my three who would be okay with sneak attack petting or coming from behind. All three of mine like hands petting their heads and Link loves petting his forehead right near his eyes so the hand is literally in his face. Still going to respectfully disagree on that.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just call the cat over, in a gentle voice, and approach slowly.
But yes, sideways could be better.

Not using the fingers, out, though. Cats see this as claws out. Better to use a closed fist, to allow them to sniff.

As for our own cats, every personality is different, but my 3 would also jump, bolt, and/or swipe...if I came at them from behind. Maybe your cats are just different Primula Primula , and are super laid back.

Textsfromthemoon319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! Thank you again so much for your help and support with this. I definitely think you're right, my coming towards her while she was under the deck probably spooked her and made her feel trapped, one side of our deck is opened but the other is fenced shut so she probably felt like i was cornering her. I never realized the thing about the fingers but that is a really great point too!

I think I've correctly added some photos to this thread, two are of her and one is of the scratches as they are currently.
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg

I'm assuming at this point my rabies fear is likely to be unfounded? The scratches definitely don't appear to be deep regardless and other than the one scratch her disposition was the same both times I interacted with her.

Again thank you guys so much! :D

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Thank you again so much for your help and support with this. I definitely think you're right, my coming towards her while she was under the deck probably spooked her and made her feel trapped, one side of our deck is opened but the other is fenced shut so she probably felt like i was cornering her. I never realized the thing about the fingers but that is a really great point too!

I'm assuming at this point my rabies fear is likely to be unfounded? The scratches definitely don't appear to be deep regardless and other than the one scratch her disposition was the same both times I interacted with her.

Again thank you guys so much! :D
Sure, no problem. :biggrin:
She is definitely one solid looking cat.:) Someone looks to be feeding her.
And yes, you are so right. It was probably that she felt cornered.

(My previous rainbow cat, Spotty, used to accidentally scratch me if I picked him up, or if I pet him too long and he had enough, then he'd sometimes swipe and scratch, too. I find my neighbour's cat often uses his nails when playing, and scratches a lot, so I try to avoid playing with him, and rather just talk to him.)

Your hand looks good. You can also put some aloe vera or vitamin E cream on scratches, if you are not allergic to it.
It is supposed to help with healing, and soothing.

Don't worry about fearing about rabies. I know it always crosses my mind, too. Even whenever I see squirrels and raccoons. :rolleyes2:

Textsfromthemoon319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the responses and reassurance, it has helped me to feel a lot better about everything and less freaked out!

Textsfromthemoon319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also one last question, if you were in this situation would you go see a doctor over the scratch or just assume everything is probably OK? My mom and boyfriend both think it would be ridiculous to go, would the doctor likely say that this is nothing to worry about?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Textsfromthemoon319 Textsfromthemoon319 ... I wish you well in your studies.
And I think you'd make an excellent cat guardian/owner, too. Our cats usually help us to relax and not worry about things, but it's only natural that if one of them scratches, that we question why, or what we could do differently. It's live and learn, I guess.

Incidentally, are you like me, and like to give 'your own name' to the cats that cruise by the neighbourhood?
(I do this more at my cousin's cottage, where the neighbours' cats always comes over. We also have a dog, but the cats don't care. And the dog is not allowed to chase any cats.)
When I find out the cat's real name, it's never similar to the one that I gave them.