Scratched by a Feral Kitten

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We have a momma cat and her three kittens we are looking to TNR, hopefully adopt out the kittens. They are too young to TNR yet and momma has kept them pretty well hidden until the last couple days where she has been bringing them to me for food. Well tonight one got tangled in my patio furniture ties and I panicked and tried to get him out without gloves :doh:. Of course he clawed me quite a few times and possibly bit me but I'm not sure. I came in and washed with antibacterial soap and dabbed alcohol on the scratches. About 15 minutes later I also cleaned with hibaclens chlorhexidine and dabbed everything with prescription mupirocin cream. The scratches are no longer bleeding but do have blood spots throughout them. The bigger ones are a little red still and sore when bending like typical cat scratches.

I checked my local rabies map and my county doesn't show anything. https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pr..._Map.pdf?rev=ad15616a5ea04d399747bbdc5c193970

I then went to google and of course found the worst of the worst and now I'm freaking out. I don't want to get sick or get a disease or anything. Any advice is really appreciated. I attached pictures from when it first happened and about an hour later.

Thank you!

Before 1.jpg After 1.jpg Before 3.jpg After 3.jpg Before 2.jpg After 2.jpg

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The scratches are not bad it like any other scratch you did good cleaning there. The cats bite is another story. Because of all of the bacteria in their mouth wound can get very infected very quickly. It looks like you took good care of wounds and I would not panic, yet.
If you feel any worsening of your wounds seek medical help. If you are to uncomfortable go ahead and get antibiotics to be on a safe side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The scratches are not bad it like any other scratch you did good cleaning there. The cats bite is another story. Because of all of the bacteria in their mouth wound can get very infected very quickly. It looks like you took good care of wounds and I would not panic, yet.
If you feel any worsening of your wounds seek medical help. If you are to uncomfortable go ahead and get antibiotics to be on a safe side.
Thank you. I tried to do everything I could here at home. I'm not sure if there were any bites or just nail punctures. Will a wound getting infected be visible or could there be something lurking under the surface while the initial scratch/bite is healing up? They are looking better with time and are barely sore. What should I watch out for?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been there a couple of times. What you want to watch for mostly is cat bite cellulitis. It will appear as a very red, swollen area at the site of the bite and may begin to spread. If you suspect this at all, you do need to go to the doctor for antibiotics. If you suspect, or aren't sure if the bite is spreading, draw a circle around it. If redness starts to move beyond the circle, you have an infection. As for lurking under the surface, the teeth of a cat are like needles and once they bite, the skin closes very quickly over the bite, which seals in the infection. Being bitten by a dog is usually not as bad as their teeth are not quite that type and it leaves an open wound.

Out here, the only vector for rabies is bats, which are found in LA county. I have been to one urgent care and one major medical center in the last year and a half for cat bites....don't ask.....and in neither case was the least amount of concern about rabies brought up for my area. I looked at your map and it seems similar, but I am not in Michigan. If you feel that you need more info, call the PHD or your doctor.

Thank you for trying to help this family.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have rabies here (UK), but that isn't the only concern, I know of someone who tested positive for tetanus after being bitten/scratched by a feral and had to have some fairly heavy duty antibiotics. Also a risk of other infections which can be serious and lead to sepsis.

What fionasmom fionasmom said in terms of looking out for infection. Hope that will not be necessary, but if in doubt speak to your doctor or go to your emergency treatment facility.

If there is any chance there could be rabies then get medical attention ASAP, if you leave it there is no cure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klp023

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I continued to put antibiotic ointment on the scratches and kept them clean. I've been monitoring for other signs but my temperature has been good and the scratches/possible bites are barely noticeable now. There has been no redness, swelling, heat to the touch or pain so far. I'm still nervous but I will continue to monitor for signs. Hopefully I'm out of the woods for any issues.

Thanks again!