Scottishfold Female Mating British Shorthair Male?

Ashraf Elsherbiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi dear, actually i have a Scottish fold female red point as in the below pictures and i wanted to breed her with My lilac british shorthair male in the below picture as well. in such a case what are the expected litter color ? and is it better to mate her with golden ticked color instead of lilac one ?
i'm asking because i've heard that when mating her to a lilac color, all the litter will be mostly black. is that's true ?? and thanks in advance.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! They are gorgeous!
I'm unfamiliar with genetic patterning and breeding for color but hopefully someone will come in here for you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male kittens only get their color from their mother, so all boys will be red or red pointed. Females get one color gene from each parent so females will be tortie or tortie pointed (you'd get about 50% pointed kittens if he carries the point gene).

I'm not really sure how the chocolate/lilac is passed on. But I think chocolate is recessive so they won't be chocolate unless she carried that gene, which seems unlikely. Lilac is dilute chocolate so some of the kittens might be dilute if she carries that gene.

So, short answer: red or cream males, pointed or not, and tortie or dilute tortie females, pointed or not.

Are they registered? Do you know a responsible breeder who can mentor you through the process?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashraf Elsherbiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Male kittens only get their color from their mother, so all boys will be red or red pointed. Females get one color gene from each parent so females will be tortie or tortie pointed (you'd get about 50% pointed kittens if he carries the point gene).

I'm not really sure how the chocolate/lilac is passed on. But I think chocolate is recessive so they won't be chocolate unless she carried that gene, which seems unlikely. Lilac is dilute chocolate so some of the kittens might be dilute if she carries that gene.

So, short answer: red or cream males, pointed or not, and tortie or dilute tortie females, pointed or not.

Are they registered? Do you know a responsible breeder who can mentor you through the process?
hey dear, yeah they are both WCF registered.the male has grandparents having 3 colors which are chocolate,lilac and blue while the female mainly blue point completely and has grandparents silver shaded.
i've tried to communicate breeders here in Saudi but in vain,there's no registered cattery for british or scottish as a breed which makes it difficult to me.
i really appreciate your informative reply.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your girl is a red point, as it looks like she has some black hairs on the tips of her ears and the center of her forehead. Also, if her parents are blue point, she cannot be a red point. If you can possibly scan and send me the pedigrees of the cats by private message, and send or post more pictures of your girl, I will be happy to try to puzzle out the colors for you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, I was thinking that but figured maybe the lighting was bad because the OP did say she's red point. . .let us know what you figure out! Maybe cinnamon?

DaysinMaine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To me your female looks like a golden shaded who has a lot of white masking. I figure this because of her black paw pads being a signature of the silvers and golden shades. It also helps to explain the black on her ears.