Scottish Straight x Scottish Straight breeding

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have two Scottish Staight cats who had a litter of 5 kittens in early January.
All 5 are Straight eared but I I would like to learn more about the Fold gene.
My question is if two Scottish Straight could produce Fold kittens? Is there a dna test to identify if my cats are Fold gene carriers?
Thanks for your time.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Claudia,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. ;)

The fold gene is dominant and straight ears gene is recessive. This means that a straight eared cat cannot carry the gene for folded ears. So cannot produce kittens with folded ears.

A cat that carries any dominant gene it will always be expressed/shown on the cat. For a cat to express/show any recessive gene's the cat cannot have or carry any dominant genes. Dominant genes always cover up/suppress recessive genes.

The only way for you to produce folded ears kittens would be to mate your straight eared girl to a cat with folded ears. :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I have two Scottish Staight cats who had a litter of 5 kittens in early January.
My question is if two Scottish Straight could produce Fold kittens? Is there a dna test to identify if my cats are Fold gene carriers?
Thanks for your time.
As GemsGem explained, two Straigh cant get a Fold.   But as you know, Straights are used in the breeding of Folds, as  Fold x Fold kills the foetus.

So you cant get your own little Folds entirely by your own resources, if it is your wish.  But cooperating with a Fold breeder, you can get Fold kittens.  Either by letting a stud come to your queen, or by lending out your studs services.

I myself I arent so fond in the breeding of Folds, on principial reasons.  Especially as you do have two beautiful Straights and can happily continue with them.

But every breeder must decide for herself!

A couple of years ago we had some lenghy threads about breeding of folds, pro and contra.  You can surely find them if you use our search function.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks GemsGem and StefanZ for your answers!
I was worried about the medical problems that could emerge from having a litter of 2 cats who could carry the fold gene (now I know thats is a dominant gene, so as they are Straight eared they could not carry the gene as a recessive gene).
As you see I'm not an expert in cat's genetics, but I love to learn from you guys!
Best regards
Claudia

Sepehrixa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your time.
So could we call them british shorthair hair?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
So could we call them british shorthair hair?
No, in the registries I’m aware of they can only be registered as SFS (straights). While BSH can be used in fold breeding, all non-fold kittens in a litter with the pairing are SFS straights. In TICA they can even be shown as, to my understanding, they’re their own breed.

Additionally, BSH and SFS have slightly different conformation in their breed standards — SFS aren’t just BSH with folded ears.