Scottish fold unfold?

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have 2 little boys, they're little highland fold kittens, just a little confused as to why one of them's ears have slightly unfolded?
I have a female Scottish fold whose ears unfolded when she became pregnant, and after doing some research on it, apparently that's common. Here are my boys, these were taken iirc 2 or 3 1/2 weeks apart. They've just turned 2 months old 2 days ago. Our family have had Scottish folds for a long time now and we've never seen this happen with males...

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know a lot about Scottish Folds, but I've heard that the ears can straighten if he cats get really hot, as in a hot climate. I don't remember hearing if they fold back down when the weather cools off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it might be, cause we live in the Philippines. We used to live in Russia and our female fold has super duper tight folds back there, but when we moved they just loosened up.

This is one of our island borns we had last year. Same thing...

Is there a way to stop this? Besides keeping them in an airconditioned room 24/7 haha, impossible since they really love their outdoor run. I've read over the TICA requirements for showcats and they need tight folds :(( I'd love to attend shows down here.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of this happening sometimes, but I am not a Scottish Fold breeder so I don't have any advice for you about how to breed tighter folds, sorry! If you happen to have any straight eared kittens, however, you can show them in both CFA and TICA, and you don't have to worry about the tightness of the fold on those.

stanleysworld

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
genetic testing will tell you.
Folded ears is a genetic mutation. They can unfold there ears when they are hot, or nervous. however they are physically holding them up. There ears will relax to a folded state when the cat settles.