Scottish Fold Breeding

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very much aware that it is a NO NO to breed a scottish fold with another scottish fold. What I am unsure is about a scottish fold with a scottish straight? Is it also unethical? TIA

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straight eared cats do not have the Fd gene, so using a straight eared cat in a breeding program should be equivalent to using a British Shorthair or other breed.

Some breeders feel that it is important to DNA test straight eared Scottish cats before breeding, to make sure they do not have the Fd gene, for example see this breeding policy from the Australian Cat Federation (ACF):

However, it's important to note that cats with only one copy of Fd can also have clinical symptoms of osteochondrodysplasia, and many researchers now believe that all cats with Fd will develop clinical symptoms at some point. So there is controversy at this time whether it is ethical to breed folded ear cats at all. Some associations, such as GCCF and FIFe, do not recognize the Scottish Fold breed due to these concerns, and other organizations such as the British Veterinary Association and International Cat Care have come out with statements that it is unethical to breed these cats.
Some Scottish Fold breeders are now switching to breeding only Scottish Straights, or only British Shorthairs, due to ethical concerns.

I'm attaching a pdf article about Scottish Folds and osteochondrodysplasia.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Straight eared cats do not have the Fd gene, so using a straight eared cat in a breeding program should be equivalent to using a British Shorthair or other breed.

Some breeders feel that it is important to DNA test straight eared Scottish cats before breeding, to make sure they do not have the Fd gene, for example see this breeding policy from the Australian Cat Federation (ACF):

However, it's important to note that cats with only one copy of Fd can also have clinical symptoms of osteochondrodysplasia, and many researchers now believe that all cats with Fd will develop clinical symptoms at some point. So there is controversy at this time whether it is ethical to breed folded ear cats at all. Some associations, such as GCCF and FIFe, do not recognize the Scottish Fold breed due to these concerns, and other organizations such as the British Veterinary Association and International Cat Care have come out with statements that it is unethical to breed these cats.
Some Scottish Fold breeders are now switching to breeding only Scottish Straights, or only British Shorthairs, due to ethical concerns.

I'm attaching a pdf article about Scottish Folds and osteochondrodysplasia.
Thank you very much for all the information. Very informative.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome! Whatever decision you end up making, you are doing the right thing to consider health and ethics when making your breeding decisions :)