Scorpion-like tail?

eclipse3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody! I originally was just meandering around for cat information and stumbled across this site and could not resist joining...

But my first question that I would like to ask is of my little cat, Eclipse. Adopted at 7 months old, he is endlessly showing love and energy, then and 5 months later. I did notice that he never has his tail straight up except for happy twitching. Rather, the tail curls up with the tip of the tail near his ears. My girlfriend calls this the "scorpion kitty" look.

I asked the vet and was told that he was healthy and not to worry- this being just this cat. If so, it is quite adorable.

Has anybody else noticed this, and/or know what it means?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No universally accepted meaning, but the question mark tail as I call it is a sign of respect or reverance. Usually when I see my cat doing this, he's in a playful mood, or he'll stretch his front legs in front of me. Kind of an invitation to socialize, say hi, pet, play, etc.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it has any particular meaning, but it does sound cute. 

Welcome to TCS!

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I was just about to post something similar. Im rather new to cats so didn't know if I was been silly or not. My kitten holds his tail like you described. He seems to do it if he's in a happy/ playful mood like if he's trying to get me to chase him. his tail seems to have a mind of its own. he definetly seems more exppresive with his tail then
Y other cats though it does seem to have a life of its own at times

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My best friend's cat does that all the time! It's pretty cute, and I think it's just a personality quirk. My cat did it a lot when I first got her, but now she only does it when she's excited and getting some good back scratches. Her tail (just like my friend's cat) seems to be more flexible or have greater movement than other cats I've known.

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I agree its really cute. Definetly makes him uniqe. I was worried at first as I couldn't find anything on the internet about it exept that it was a bad sign but he's definetly not anxious or anything like that when he does it =)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eclipse3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all, as he is purring right next to me as well. [emoji]128522[/emoji]