Scooting

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read through several related posts, but thought I'd ask for some guidance anyway. I have a long haired 9ish month old female that scoots everywhere. It doesn't seem to be related to having a movement. There's never anything on the carpet, she just scoots constantly.

She went to the Vet two weeks ago for vaccinations they expressed her glands after saying they were full, which was unusual to them. I took her home and it hasn't slowed down any at all (thinking of changing her name to Scooter). So, I've been supplementing her with Glandex for 5 days now. She eats mostly wet with dry left out while we're gone.

She never did this before she had her kittens, and I don't recall it happening much while she was being a mamma. Things that have changed would be litter. She eats Fancy Feast Savory Centers. I "think" she was getting this when she was pregnant and after. Dry is Purina Sensitive stomach (she yacks about once every couple weeks) and Blue blissful tummy (both new additions).

Can anyone help with things that worked for you?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've had her checked for worms and other parasites? She's not constipated? Usually they scoot because of glands (which probably isn't the case here), parasites, or constipation. But every once in awhile food allergies can cause this. You mentioned two of her foods are new. Did the scooting started relatively soon after the new foods? If so, I would stop those foods and see what happens. It might take awhile to see any changes though. Doesn't happen over night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. The new foods were introduced way after the scooting began, so I'll ask the Vet on Monday for a parasite check. Do I ask for something specifically? I don't think she's constipated, but another cat uses her box (oh, the joys of trying to get cats to get along!) so, it's hard to tell who's doing what. I guess I need to try and figure 9ut a way to tell if she's going.

Would litter factor? That was changed, but I'm.not sure if that has an to effect on their bums

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I supposed litter could be the culprit. I know it can effect their feet if they have sensitivities to it. If they were to crouch low enough for it to touch their backside and have sensitivity to it, it could cause itching perhaps. Why not change it back to what they had before and see if the scooting stops.

As to parasites, have them check for worms, and others, so take in a stool sample if possible. If you can't tell whose is whose, try isolating this particular cat for a day with everything needed in order to get a sample, or call the Vet and ask them if they can get a sample somehow while you're there without you bringing in one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll do that. Thanks for the advice ♥