Scooting

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm near tears writing this. I rescued a beautiful 3-year old neutered, male DSH/Siamese mix in March. I do not have any of his history because he was left in a box on the shelter steps. A few days after I brought him home, I noticed him scooting. We went to the vet for his first check-up where they treated him for coccidia, emptied his anal glands, and did a preventative deworming treatment. I took stool samples back twice more to be sure the coccidia was gone and it was - stool was clear. He's had three follow-up anal gland checks and they were empty each time. Since April, we've done a food trial (prescription hydrolyzed protein for 9-weeks), a round of prednisolone, changed litter brands (always unscented), a round of antibiotics, and Entederm ointment. He doesn't vomit or have diarrhea and his poop is solid and healthy. He's active and plays like nothing is wrong. His scooting never leaves "leftovers" on the carpet. He's an indoor-only cat and I only use All Free & Clear on his bedding, I don't smoke or burn candles/incense or use essential oils, and he gets Revolution Plus each month. I've been two two different vets and the most recent vet wants to try gabapentin in case there's pain. He got his first dose last night and he was a muted version of himself. It made me so sad. I feel like I'm torturing this cat trying to find an answer to his scooting. Could it be behavioral? I don't know which is worse for him - scooting 2x a day or me trying to find a cure for him? I'm at my wits end and don't know how to proceed if the gabapentin doesn't work, which isn't looking great at the moment. Any encouragement or insight is appreciated. Thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You seem to have covered the usual reasons for scooting, anal glands, parasites, dirty bum, allergies. How did he do on the hydrolyzed food, did it make a difference? Something is obviously irritating him, is his butt red or sore looking. The only thing I can suggest is to wipe his butt after he has defecated with clear warm water, maybe put a small amount of original Vasaline on a cloth and smear a small amount on his butt to see if that helps. Hopefully someone with experience of this will post their tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You seem to have covered the usual reasons for scooting, anal glands, parasites, dirty bum, allergies. How did he do on the hydrolyzed food, did it make a difference? Something is obviously irritating him, is his butt red or sore looking. The only thing I can suggest is to wipe his butt after he has defecated with clear warm water, maybe put a small amount of original Vasaline on a cloth and smear a small amount on his butt to see if that helps. Hopefully someone with experience of this will post their tips.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the hydrolyzed food didn't make a difference. I'll try wiping his bum with a warm cloth like you suggested.

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His bum isn't red or irritated. Wouldn't the hydrolyzed food have caught the chicken allergy if there was one?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe but sometimes it takes longer than 9 weeks. If there was irritation I would expect to see a reddish bum. I'm at a loss as you have tried several different litters. I'm grasping at straws here but I wonder if using earth or sand as litter would make a difference.

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe but sometimes it takes longer than 9 weeks. If there was irritation I would expect to see a reddish bum. I'm at a loss as you have tried several different litters. I'm grasping at straws here but I wonder if using earth or sand as litter would make a difference.
I really appreciate your help. I'm at a loss too and am getting emotional. I've only tried different brands of clumping and unclumping litters, so maybe I need to try - like you suggested - earth or sand, or even corn or pine litters.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really appreciate your help. I'm at a loss too and am getting emotional. I've only tried different brands of clumping and unclumping litters, so maybe I need to try - like you suggested - earth or sand, or even corn or pine litters.
What's his poop like? If it's hard and he's having low levels of constipation, that can cause scooting. Poos should be soft, but formed. Sometimes, I have noticed it seems soft to us, but still might be too hard for the cat's liking.

Can you speak to your vet about Restorilax or Miralax? (Crystals should be 100% dissolved in water before adding to food).

I would not suggest pine litters for male cat, but you could try also corn, soy, paper or walnut shell based litters if you haven't already.

It could be behavioural as well, such as an itchy bum.

Or it could be that he needs his glands cleaned monthly. Did you find the behaviour reduced for a time after his glands were cleaned? (If no, I don't believe it to be that)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really don't have any 'new' suggestions but will at least ask some questions to see if all 'bases' were covered with testing/treatment.

What all was tested with the stool samples? If not looking for more than coccidia, something else may have been missed. If the testing was not a full fecal PCR, that might be worth doing as it will also look for a larger range of parasites, as well as various bacterial/viral conditions.

Was the deworming treatment done with a broad-spectrum product? Some of the dewormers don't address all worm types. For example, praziquantel is about the only thing that will kill tapeworms.

If allergy related, has the vet considered trying something like cyclosporine (Atopica)? It is sometimes used to help control inflammation associated with allergies. Check what is in the hydrolyzed food and see if you can find another one that is more restrictive in its ingredients. And, by all means, continue to try other litters.

Lastly, I have heard that urinary issues can actually cause butt scooting - although I don't know how common it is. But it still might be something to talk to your vet about. Also, ask the vet if it possible that he has internal hemorrhoids and what would be a way to treat it to see if that could be the issue.

If all else fails, you can try distraction tactics - favorite toys or treats.

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I really don't have any 'new' suggestions but will at least ask some questions to see if all 'bases' were covered with testing/treatment.

What all was tested with the stool samples? If not looking for more than coccidia, something else may have been missed. If the testing was not a full fecal PCR, that might be worth doing as it will also look for a larger range of parasites, as well as various bacterial/viral conditions.

Was the deworming treatment done with a broad-spectrum product? Some of the dewormers don't address all worm types. For example, praziquantel is about the only thing that will kill tapeworms.

If allergy related, has the vet considered trying something like cyclosporine (Atopica)? It is sometimes used to help control inflammation associated with allergies. Check what is in the hydrolyzed food and see if you can find another one that is more restrictive in its ingredients. And, by all means, continue to try other litters.

Lastly, I have heard that urinary issues can actually cause butt scooting - although I don't know how common it is. But it still might be something to talk to your vet about. Also, ask the vet if it possible that he has internal hemorrhoids and what would be a way to treat it to see if that could be the issue.

Thank you for these great suggestions. I'll go back to the vet and ask about these items you mentioned.

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I realize I didn't answer your questions, so here goes!

I'm not sure if a full fecal PCR was done. When we went to the vet, they knew it was his first visit from a shelter so I didn't think to ask. I didn't know there were different levels. So, I don't know what they did.

The deworming was Panacur Teal. He gets Revolution Plus each month. When I went to the second vet last month, I took a sample and they didn't think it was necessary to do a test.

Neither vet has mentioned Atopica. They both said that the next step might be a dermatologist.

He doesn't seem to have urinary issues. He urinates without issue or noises, but I'll mention this.

Thank you again and I'll keep you posted!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I've been thinking about your situation, --you've gotten some wonderful feedback.

I too was wondering about changing the litter, wiping his bum and if there's possibly something going on with his urine. I can't imagine he's scooting out of an old ingrained habit, but there might be something there as well, --so in other words, when you wipe his bum .. .. (try sometimes wiping after he's peed in case his urine is the issue) .. .. pick him up and carry him for a bit so he doesn't have the chance to scoot.

BlueEyes99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies. I went to the top-rated vet in my city today. This vet was so, so gentle and knowledgeable. She reviewed his past and we discussed everything I’ve done to date. She strongly believes it’s an anal gland issue and not a worm, allergy, or urinary issue. They will run a fecal test to be certain. She expressed his glands and chunks came out along with other liquid. There isn’t an infection, thankfully. He’s also about 3 lbs overweight which can contribute to his AG issue. :oops: Our plan is to check his glands in 2 months, start losing some weight, and go on a high fiber diet; specifically Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food. She also said that some cats just don’t express glands, despite healthy bowel movements and being anatomically healthy. So, he might be one of them and this is an AG issue that we manage and not cure. Not ideal, but it’s better than wrestling him to give a daily medicine and a lot of other scenarios I had running through my head.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be following this thread since my Lulu is a scooter too. I'll be taking her for her annual check-up soon...have been so busy with Ash's surgery and recovery. Lulu has been tested in the past with no issues but has always done this. She doesn't do it all the time but it does bother me. Her bum looks fine but she might need her glands expressed.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a scooter too. I went through anal glands emptying and it didn't help. I did notice that it was on and off. At first I thought it was related to food but I don't think so. The scooting was gone once he has a butt shave :)
Today, he scooted for a very long time. After 30 mins of him using the box, he was grooming himself and I noticed a bit of poop stuck on his fur. So, I guess that's what was bothering him. He is on homemade food, so naturally his stool is dryer and seems like it has more tendency to get stuck on his fur. I am keeping my eye on him to see if this will keep happening. If that's the case, I will shave his butt and see if it goes away.

Edit:
Here is the history of his scooting issue.
I noticed it back in 2021. Took him to the vet, they said glands need emptying. Did that, went back home and kept doing it.
In 2022, I had it with him scooting, took him to another vet, they did the same thing as the first time. The result was the same, he is still scooting.
Took him back to the vet after two weeks, they said his glands are emptying he needs butt shaving. We had that done. Scooting stopped but then came back after 3-4 months. I guess his fur grew back and needed shaving again.

Last edited: