Scooting After Spay

icklekins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little Lucky just got spayed yesterday! (She finally met the 4 pound weight minimum the vet has.)

She's actually doing very well. She ate a whole can of food and a bit of kibble right when she got home. I gave her the pain meds and she started playing almost right away. She has even been purring a lot when my husband and I pet her. I think like most cats, she hates the cone they gave her, a firm fabric. She keeps trying to kick it off.

What is very weird, and what I can't seem to find an explanation for, is her scooting. As a medium/long haired cat, we have dealt with Clingons in the past, but her tush is clean. I've checked her for blocked glands, but I don't see anything unusual.

I know that boys will scoot when they have been neutered, but is scooting a common behavior for girls?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a cat do that.  Maybe she is numb in that region too?  I'm thinking of times I've had dental work and the anesthetic hits a nerve and travels up to my  eye or ear.  Or maybe she just feels strange so she's trying to do something to understand the feeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklekins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've never had a cat do that.  Maybe she is numb in that region too?  I'm thinking of times I've had dental work and the anesthetic hits a nerve and travels up to my  eye or ear.  Or maybe she just feels strange so she's trying to do something to understand the feeling.
I talked to the vet tech at the clinic today and she said it is likely a side-effect of the cone and her longer fur. When she goes potty she can't groom like she normally does because of the cone, so she's scooting to clean her bum.

I was told to watch it and if it gets worse or seems to be tearing stitches to call.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That makes sense. The other morning I had to rescue & "help" Noodles with her bum & she had done the scooting thing. (She ate a long piece of human hair.)

How long do they want the cone on? I've never had to use one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklekins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. The other morning I had to rescue & "help" Noodles with her bum & she had done the scooting thing. (She ate a long piece of human hair.)

How long do they want the cone on? I've never had to use one.
Both my husband and I have long, long hair so we have also had that adventure. I also pull hair out of her mouth before she totally swallows it. Kinda gross actually.

They want her to wear the cone for the whole two weeks, but we're going to try pulling it off from time to time so she can have a break and give her the chance to groom the rest of her. I think the kind of stitches they used are why.