Science Diet c/d prescription food....

lisa127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I have a question. My male cat is on Science Diet c/d prescription food. Jake had problems back in December and was totally blocked. He's been on this food since. My female, Angel, is 7 years old and has always been free fed. Will it hurt her to eat this c/d food also?

And I know lots of people think Science Diet is a horrible food, and I'm not crazy about it myself. But I'm going to continue feeding it to Jake because I'm not willing to go through that scare again.

Thanks for any input.

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisa127

Ok, I have a question. My male cat is on Science Diet c/d prescription food. Jake had problems back in December and was totally blocked. He's been on this food since. My female, Angel, is 7 years old and has always been free fed. Will it hurt her to eat this c/d food also?

And I know lots of people think Science Diet is a horrible food, and I'm not crazy about it myself. But I'm going to continue feeding it to Jake because I'm not willing to go through that scare again.

Thanks for any input.
I have a friend who has 1 cat with blocking problems who eats CD. She has 2 other cats they also eat CD. Vet said there is no problem.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree...here is my one concern to ask your vet about. Part of what this food does is to acidify the urine, and this helps prevent struvite crystal formation. To use this with a cat that does not have this problem - you may risk increasing the risk for that cat developing the other kind of crystals - calcium oxalate (which require a urine that is *not* acidic).

So...put a call in to your vet and double check with them...and...I have always said, while I'd not feed Hills to my pets, their prescription foods? have been a godsend..and I highly recommend them as they *work*.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Waltham's SO for his urinary problems. It has better lists of ingredients, starts with chicken meal instead of rice (like in Science Diet). I didn't want to give him Science Diet CD. My cat has been doing better since he got on Waltham's SO, but I don't know if it's the food or anti-anxiety meds. Also, Waltham's supposedly works for both struvite and oxalate crystals. My othe healthy cat has no choice but to eat it too, because it's very difficult to give it to one cat but not the other. Although they both prefer their old food, they are eating the SO food.
If you want, I can list the ingredients from the bag.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks...what a good post, I'm afraid I'm just waking up and very upset re the news from London.

Totally forgot about this newer food from Walthams.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Thanks...what a good post, I'm afraid I'm just waking up and very upset re the news from London.

Totally forgot about this newer food from Walthams.
Yes, horrible news from London.

But to stay on topic, remember little Scaredy and his constant urinary problems?
He has shown improvement since put on a new food and alprazolam (xanax). I don't know which one is doing the trick, and how long the improvement is going to last, but for now I am keeping my fingers crossed. By the way, I always thought Scaredy was bi-polar, and since Xanax is actually prescribed to treat bi-polar disorder in people-oh well. Maybe he is bi-polar.
My first vet also told me to feed him Science CD.
I didn't want to feed him Science Diet, but thankfully the second vet I took him too told me to feed him Waltham's SO.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do remember Scaredy...this is good news
I really like the effect these meds are having on him anxiety-wise. I think he shows a lot of improvement in his anxiety level.
And like grandma always said-all the diesease come from nerves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I agree...here is my one concern to ask your vet about. Part of what this food does is to acidify the urine, and this helps prevent struvite crystal formation. To use this with a cat that does not have this problem - you may risk increasing the risk for that cat developing the other kind of crystals - calcium oxalate (which require a urine that is *not* acidic).

So...put a call in to your vet and double check with them...and...I have always said, while I'd not feed Hills to my pets, their prescription foods? have been a godsend..and I highly recommend them as they *work*.
When I originally asked my vet this, he said not to feed it to Angel. So for months I was feeding her normal food, but of course she would always get to his too. She seems to love the c/d. Anyway, when I went to buy it again the woman who works in the office asked me if both cats were eating it. I told her I give Angel regular food but that she gets into Jake's c/d also. I asked her if this was a problem and she said no, it won't hurt her. So now I don't know what to think. If I free feed them both c/d but maybe give her some regular canned cat food once or twice a day will that help with the worry about her urine being too acidic?

Btw, thanks everyone for your input.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisa127

When I originally asked my vet this, he said not to feed it to Angel. So for months I was feeding her normal food, but of course she would always get to his too. She seems to love the c/d. Anyway, when I went to buy it again the woman who works in the office asked me if both cats were eating it. I told her I give Angel regular food but that she gets into Jake's c/d also. I asked her if this was a problem and she said no, it won't hurt her. So now I don't know what to think. If I free feed them both c/d but maybe give her some regular canned cat food once or twice a day will that help with the worry about her urine being too acidic?

Btw, thanks everyone for your input.
Who was behind the counter? I would not take the receptionist's opinion - follow your vet's advice.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's cat suffered a blockage a year (or maybe it was 2?) ago. He was switched to C/D, along with the four other cats in the household (they're all free-fed). The thing to watch for is if you are leaving out food all the time, C/D caused weight gain in his family's cats. Most of them were already overweight, but they have gained even more. You might consider leaving out smaller amounts to keep both cats from eating too much.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
C/d should be safe for any cat to eat. S/d is not. S/d is usually what is perscribed initially for FLUTD to dissolve crystals. S/d should not be fed to healthy cats. Once the crystals are dissolved, the cat is placed on a maintenance food like hills c/d, medi-cal preventive, or walthams s/o. These diets are all safe for all cats and promote urinary tract health.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks...I stand corrected then. I thought c/d acidified the urine to the point where it could be an issue w/ perhaps causing calcium oxalate stones in a cat not needing the food, as they had no hx of struvite crystals.