Schesir Kitten Food With Aloe?

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was shopping for a canned kitten food for Count. I came across this Schesir brand food with aloe in it. (Kitten Chicken fillets with Aloe) According to ASPCA aloe is poisonous to cats, but Schesir is a reputable brand. What do you think? Would you give your kitten this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are two components of aloe. When you break the leaf open, there is the greenish, clear gel which is not toxic to cats, and the white opaque latex which is. The gel is full of vitamins and micronutrients which I have a feeling they were going for. I don't know why they would use something that even remotely could be toxic if the latex was not properly removed, if it is not, small amounts can cause diarrhea and vomiting. You might contact the company and ask. I myself would not give a kitten this, their digestive systems are underdeveloped and it would take a lot less to poison them. Humans take the gel orally often with no problems, but they have a choice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aloe juice is an excellent laxative. I suppose a bit in cat food would be OK to keep things moving smoothly. But almost 5%! That seems excessive. I wonder what the company would say if you emailed them and asked why there's aloe in the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You all seem to think the way I thought of it. It sounded stupid to me, and you agree. I just wondered if there was any meaningful benefit to it, that's why I asked. Vitamins and being a laxative could be achieved without risking poisoning your cat.