Scented Wax Warmer - safe with Feliway?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The room where we keep Simon stinks, to be quite frank. Rather than spraying a bunch of air fresheners (which tend to cause migraines for me and are questionably safe around him), I was going to bring out my old Scentsy wax warmer.

is this safe to use around cats? I would never have it running while he could bump into it and it would be kept in a safe location. Also, I’m getting a Feliway plugin in a couple of days - would that be counteracted by the scented wax or would it still work on calming Simon?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Rather than masking the odor, can you address the source? If it's a litterbox, clean out and also replace the litter more frequently, and wash the litterboxes. Rinse them very well before putting them back into use. If they're showing scratches, buy new ones. Those scratches can harbor bacteria. Walmart has inexpensive ones.

If he's missing the boxes, utilize an enzymatic cleaner.

If his bed or favorite blanket needs to be washed, use a fragrance free low chemical detergent, rinse really well and if you dry it use wool balls instead of dryer sheets, especially don't use the scented dryer sheets.

If he's spraying the walls, get a couple big rubbermaid tubs, cut a hole for entry and put the litter boxes inside the tubs.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used wax warmers with no issues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try using non-scented odor absorbers instead. There are various brand using various materials.

Identifying the source of the odor and dealing with it is the best way to get rid of odors. Litter box? Scoop at least twice daily and give the box a good wash every month. There's a TCS article with more tips:

Food? Cat food smell stinky to appeal to cats. Do you leave a bowl of food out all day? Maybe use a timed feeder so the food is covered?

Beds, blankets, etc can be washed weekly.

Some TCS members have reported that Feliway stains walls and it says so right on the package or web site. If you do use the plug in, maybe cover the wall behind the plug in with a piece of cardboard or a puppy pad to keep the product from staining the wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - I’ve gotten used to most of the smells (and good LORD can this cat let one rip :lol2:), but this was a recent fish tank-like smell. After some sleuthing, we’ve deduced that’s the only thing that changed was that the box/tray that I keep his water fountain in was recently sprayed down with the outside garden hose. It (and the litter box I cleaned in the same manner before we realized what the issue likely was) has a faint fish-tank like smell that we are guessing is coming from that. I’ve ordered a couple new litter boxes from amazon that are due in afew days, so hopefully that fixes it. Like you said, he wasjust about due to get a new litter box anyway, so that’s not a huge deal.

he has missed the litter box once or twice when it was just a smidge too dirty for his liking but that was MONTHS ago now, so I don’t think that’s the issue - and I washed his bedding yesterday. my mom said she couldn’t smell anything, so mabye I’m just super sensitive to the smell 🤷‍♀️

LTS3 LTS3 - the only outlet in the room that is a feasible option is behind one of those cube storage units - though still with plenty of airflow, so I’m not too worried about staining, though I may wind up taping an old (But unused) puppy pad up, just in case.