Scarlet Macaw

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness she's a beauty Nial!!. Her colours are gorgeous!

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I hope to teach Ruby to say: "Stop that", "calm down" and "have you lost your mind, get down from there", so she can keep the bengals in check when we're not home.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Nial, Murphy is a little macaw, but he is all macaw and the personality traits are shared across the board with all macaws.

Biggest issues I can name off the top of my head:
Do not spend any more time with her then you plan to spend with her for the rest of her life, she will come to expect it and birds take to change even less than cats do

Macaws are known to become stress pluckers (Murphy does this), if it happens, identify the stressors and correct immediately, the longer a macaw plucks, the more likely they will start to self mutilate.
There is a bird rescue near my house and a giant cockatoo there that got left behind when the owners moved. The poor thing is on prozac it is so stressed from the change in routine and had plucked out all his feathers! I had no idea birds were so sensitive, but there you go.

I have a lot of respect for the people that do it right because they are such beautiful, magnificent and interactive pets.