Scaredy-Cat Kitten

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Cloud is very, very timid. She spends most of her time hiding, and has been a hideaway cat her entire life, as far as I can tell. She hides under furniture, in boxes, and now that she's figured out how, under the fitted sheet on the bed. If she's not eating or using the litterbox, she's hiding. She shakes when things scare her, and to be honest, most things scare her. When she was 2-3 months old, she went through a phase where she'd only eat if I was petting her. She's 5-6 months old now, and she's still so very scared of everything.

I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet, maybe see if she needs anti-anxiety medication. I was hoping she'd grow out of her extreme fear of everything, or at least learn to trust me more, but she just wants to hide. She never hisses, or lashes out, and if I just hold her long enough, she relaxes and even purrs...until something spooks her and she clings and shakes. She's fixed, vaccinated, and microchipped. What do you guys think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh poor babycat!
Does low volume classical harp music help at all?

So, she's not in pain or anything like that? I don't know, maybe the vet can help or something over the counter?

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, --Sentry has products, there's Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Maybe a thundershirt? There are diffusers as well; thunderease, comfort zone, feliway.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She really doesn't seem to be food motivated at all. I can try music, but given that noise often startles her, I'm not really sure of how likely sound is to calm her, but I can try. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, she pretty much always relaxes if she's covered/wrapped/held securely. She doesn't flinch away from any particular area being gently massaged, and she doesn't favor anything. Her tail is usually clamped as tight as she can get it, but it seems to be fear, not pain, as she doesn't object to her tail being moved. She also tends to move with her belly so low as to brush the ground, but again, it seems to be fear, as she sometimes walks normally after a long cuddle session.

Her siblings/mother don't seem to be the issue, either. They'll get between her and things that spook her, groom her and sort of...squash her comfortingly? Not sure how to describe it, but her body language relaxes when they do it. They avoid her when roughhousing, and seem to know she's easily scared. They let her get to the food, and often stop eating if she comes to the food dish so she can have a turn.

I'd like to try something like a thundershirt, but most are made for dogs. Can you suggest any cat shirts? She did seem to relax when I put her in a cat onesie meant for post surgery recovery, but her mama groomed it off her after a day, and it wasn't a great fit. Some of the plug ins I wanted to try too, but many of them had consumer reviews warning of them getting very hot, which worried me.

Right now, she's snuggled up next to me in her zip-close canvas sling. She seems to like it, she'll dart into it and curl up if I place it next to her, and then I can lay with her snuggled up next to me in it. She seems to like being enclosed, and also feeling my warmth next to her. But she doesn't like the lack of support in the bottom when I carry her, so I mostly present the sling, let her climb in, close it, carry her somewhere I'm willing to lay still for a while, and tuck her next to me or in my lap.
B39301D7-9F75-4C5B-A1FA-ED90DEE6E09C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gosh, what a darling little thing, I'm really glad she has you!

I'm hoping the classical harp music helps...ummm, let me look and see about cat shirts...

Maybe one of those other products might help, rather than diffusers.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At a quick glance I'm not really seeing anything kitten sized, plus it appears they suggest not to leave thundershirts on for very long.

You could put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the sling, maybe, but probably your current solution is best. What about letting her have the sling at other times on the floor, or a thermal bed inside a box?

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried leaving the sling in the room for her. While she's in it, her siblings and mama are good about not bothering her, just sniffing her occasionally, sometimes gently grooming her. Once she's out of it though, they attack it like any other toy. And I've noticed if the other kittens have been savaging the sling, Cloud is hesitant to go in it for a day or two. :/

I'm worried about a thermal bed (I'm guessing you mean the kind with a heating element?) getting chewed on by the other kittens or mama, they love cords. I might try making more hiding places though. I saw a diy t-shirt tent for cats, maybe I could try making a few of those?

Am I being too much of a nervous Nellie about this? I feel like she needs help to relax, it can't be good to spend 20 hours a day hiding, but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you work out a way so that the others can't get to the sling?

. I saw a diy t-shirt tent for cats, maybe I could try making a few of those?
These could be good :)

There are thermal beds that aren't electric, and react to the pet's body heat.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Furballsmom had several interesting suggestions. How about a small box? With a towel on the bottom. Maybe with a top, and with a small hole in a side she can fit through?

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try making this tent for her in the next day or two, and see if she'll accept it as an alternative to hiding under the sheet. And see about trying music, see if it makes any difference.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your sweet shy baby!! Let us know how things go :)