Scared

sad for kittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know of a lady who has 4 kittens and the mama cat she has them in her other bedroom. These cats have no litter box they eat their food off a carpet and when she opens the door it is a horrible smell. I have also heard her complain of worms in the cats poop. She also has a toddler who doesn't go in the room, but she does open the door and let the kittens out. I am not going to be in town much longer but I am concerned for both the kittens and the child. Can that smell in the room hurt the child? Am I iover reacting?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The smell in the room inand of itself won't harm the child other than being miserable to live with, but there are so many other considerations. Worms can be passed on, for instance, as the eggs can be carried on the kittens' feet. AND the cats are living in a deplorable condition. This is, quite frankly, animal abuse as well as child neglect. Yes, child neglect, read the legal definition. I would implore you to make an anonymous call (they are accepted and almost ALWAYS acted on) to both your local Department of Children's Services AND your local ASPCA or other organization of that type. Neither the child nor the cats can continue to live in those conditions safely. If she is that lax in that area, BOTH the cats and the child are suffering in others as well. I know how difficult something like this can be, and how intimidating making such a call can feel, but can you really live with yourself if you don't? OH, and God bless you for having such a caring heart!

I'm so glad you found us, and I hope that this will help.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was me, I would not call the SPCA, because in Houston, there save rate is only 35%, which means it would most likely be a death sentence for the cat and kittens. I probably would not call Children's Services either. But maybe the situation is worse than my imagination. They have to have some pretty good evidence of neglect to do something. It does sound unsanitary, but since the child isn't going in the room, it doesn't sound that bad to me. But trust your instincts, you've been there and if you think it is warranted, then you should do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sad for kittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has helped me. I was hoping it wasn't that it was that bad but knew it was. Thanks for giving me the courage to do the right thing

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would lean toward surya surya 's advice and not call depending on what the woman plans for the cats. If this is a short-term situation and she is temporarily fostering the cat family for a few weeks until they get spayed/neutered or if she is finding homes for all the kittens in a few weeks, then I would leave her alone. She is helping more than harming, and she's "not doing it right", but it's temporary.

If, on the other hand, she plans to keep all those cats for life and keep them the way she is now, that would be another matter.

Did she actually tell you she has no litter box for those cats? That seems very odd.

We don't have all the details. Do whatever you think is best.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she plans to leave them in there permanently to reproduce endlessly, I would call the appropriate agencies. That is abuse and unhealthy for all involved.

matearss14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Acting on very few details can be just as bad as not doing anything, especially if you misjudge the situation. You missed out very important pieces of information. Does the momma cat have outside access? Maybe that's why she doesn't have a litter box. How old the kittens are? Is there any specific reason why they eat off the carpet, and not a bowl?

First thing, before calling anyone, always talk with the person. Maybe (if you can), take the extra step, and buy her a bowl, even a litter box, and explain it to her that you're trying to help.

If you go around the person, and call the authorities behind her back, then leave town, maybe all you achieved was getting 4 kittens killed.

I know I'm 5 days late, but if you're still in town, and didn't make the calls, even if you did, talk with that lady. That is the best thing you can do. Understand the situation, then make a decision.

Twinklelight The Cat

Always loving cats
Young Cat
Purraise
This is wrong you must let the lady know she is doing animal abuse and the kittens and mom have a high chance of dying:disappointed::headshake:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does she own the house or is she renting? If she is renting then the landlord should be brought into the discussion. Having to tear out all the flooring and replace it is expensive and that is the likely outcome of what is going on. So the landlord might be able to insist on getting some changes made.
If she owns the house then find out if she has adult children and give them a call and see if they can investigate and maybe have some influence. Better to have family involved first before any authorities are involved. If she is younger and there are not older children then maybe you can try her parents. It might be the parents property and in that case they might be interested to know that their grown child is destroying the house.