Scared to let my kitten outside.

monicarlx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten from a rescue. His name is Hachi and he's only about 5 months old. Every time I try and open the door he tries to bolt out which I know means he would like to go outside but I have somehow grown up with the assumption that male cats do not return to their home, that and he has only been living with me for about 3 days. I hate to keep him inside the whole time even though I do my best to keep him active indoors but it doesn't help that our resident cat who is 6 years old goes in and out as she pleases since she knows what to do.
I bought a harness for him on it's way to me now just to see if it will work for him.
Any advice? Is it true that male cats don't tend to find their way back? Should I let Hachi roam around only when he's older?
In the end I want the best for him.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't any reason why you need to let a cat go outside. Virtually any cat can live indoors and they will be perfectly happy.

Casper is a rescue cat. He had been abandoned and was living outdoors for a year before we adopted him. Since he has been living with us, he's only been outside a couple of times, only for a few minutes.

We had Casper for, maybe, a month before the first time he got out. It was snowy, outside when he dashed for the door. He made it as far as the front stoop, stopped and looked around. He decided that he didn't like being out in the cold and went back inside. Since then, he rarely even tries to get out.

Casper knows that it's safe and warm inside. He always has food, a comfy place to sleep, all the toys he could ever play with and he has as much catnip as he wants, 24/7. His humans love him, pet him, snuggle with him on the sofa and let him sleep in bed with them.

I often imagine him looking at other cats, outdoors, and saying, "I'm a HOUSE CAT! My humans LOVE me!" ...and all the other cats would be jealous of Casper.

I wouldn't worry about letting your kitten outdoors. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might help with the bolting:

How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite ArticlesSa

It is crucial that he stays inside for at least the first 2-3 weeks. AT LEAST. I'm in favor of making him an indoor only cat, myself. Sadly, as I was going to the store the other day, we passed three little mangled bodies on the road. The world is so large, and they are so small. Cats can live perfectly happily in an enriched environment. Toys, cat trees, climbing shelves, play time with you...all of these things make for a contented indoor cat.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new baby boy As you know from your other cat it is possible to let cats have some outside time Very important first step is that he needs to be neutered Did the rescue take care of that? This will lessen his urge to roam First tho he has to get comfortable in his new home and with you Give him a month to settle down Then you can start taking him out in the yard with his harness and leash Don’t try to walk him just let him get used to the yard He May just lay in one spot or he may run jump and explore As long as he his secured by the harness and leash and supervised by you This is how I started letting my 2 have outside time when they were around 6 months old After a couple months they were slowly aloud some off leash time closely supervised by me If either started to leave the yard I would pick them up and back to the yard If they did it again we would go inside It didn’t take long for them to figure out if they wander they go inside I will warn you that once they got a taste of outside play they would cry to go out at the door So we had to establish specific times to go out That way they know when to expect it Now they go out with me in the morning while I drink coffee and again in the evening before dark Sometimes they just lay close to my chair and sometimes they run and play But they stay in the yard Of course all cats and situations are different Having your other cat outside too will change the dynamic. Is she is aloud to roam out of the yard? Have the two of them started interacting? What worked for me might not work for you and your kitty I do think starting the training while they were young helped a lot If you do decide to give him some outside play just remember take it slow and SUPERVISE SUPERVISE SUPERVISE For us it’s now just a easy fun part of our day Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing not matter what you decide

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend rescued a very friendly stray. He was in door out door. He was fine for 3 weeks then ran away. Possibly scared. That's the day before a bad storm hit. Flooded bad so probably didnt make it.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its not true that male cats dont come home! My male cat always comes home.

When you move to a new place the rule is to wait 2 weeks before you let them out so they find their way home. I would wait longer since you just adopted him, perhaps a month. Would also wait until he looks like an adult since people like "finding cute kittens."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's neutered he'll come home. BUT, I agree that he shouldn't go out unsupervised until he's older, if at all (it's best for cats to be indoor-only, although I know some can't adjust to staying indoors). Only after he's fully vaccinated and neutered, and preferably over 8 or 9 months old, and after you'vehad him for at least a month. Start him out with supervised outings then gradually leave him for longer periods.

But also, check the contract with the rescue. Some don't allow their cats to go to homes that will allow them outside unsupervised.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten from a rescue. His name is Hachi and he's only about 5 months old. Every time I try and open the door he tries to bolt out which I know means he would like to go outside but I have somehow grown up with the assumption that male cats do not return to their home, that and he has only been living with me for about 3 days. I hate to keep him inside the whole time even though I do my best to keep him active indoors but it doesn't help that our resident cat who is 6 years old goes in and out as she pleases since she knows what to do.
I bought a harness for him on it's way to me now just to see if it will work for him.
Any advice? Is it true that male cats don't tend to find their way back? Should I let Hachi roam around only when he's older?
In the end I want the best for him.
I assume your cats are microchipped?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But also, check the contract with the rescue. Some don't allow their cats to go to homes that will allow them outside unsupervised.

Or they will sue for breach of contract like this one shelter did after seeing social media pictures of their recently re-homed cat outside: A brief frolic outside may cost a woman her cat - The Boston Globe

If you own the home and have a yard, a catio may be a happy compromise. The cats can be outside safely and you don't have to worry about the cats wandering the neighborhood.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I assume your cats are microchipped?
Yes, and I cannot stress this enough! MICROCHIP! Do this even if you plan on never letting your cat outside. A break-in, flood, fire...any sort of emergency can leave a cat outside and vulnerable. A chip is the best bet for getting them home again!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and I cannot stress this enough! MICROCHIP! Do this even if you plan on never letting your cat outside. A break-in, flood, fire...any sort of emergency can leave a cat outside and vulnerable. A chip is the best bet for getting them home again!
I have been regretting not getting Boone and Gracie chipped when they were in getting fixed. I heard it hurts a little so getting it done at a vet visit will make me feel like it did watching my human babies get their shots.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The entire procedure to get a cat chipped takes ten minutes, including prep work.

The actual insertion is about the same as giving them a regular medicine injection only the syringe is larger, a little bigger than a magic marker. The chip, itself, is a tiny, glass pellet about the size of a grain of rice. The main event, so to speak, takes less than thirty seconds.

Sure, it probably stings but I don’t think any worse than getting a shot.

I can’t think of any good reason for not getting your cat microchipped.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And don't forget to register the cat's microchip with the microchip company. That's the part most people don't do because they mistakenly think that paying for the microchip to be inserted into the cat is all they need to do. A microchip that has no contact information associated with it is useless. The paperwork you get when getting the microchip put int to the pet will have info on how to register. There may be an online option but sometimes a company will charge for extra subscription services if you use that method. Just call customer service and get your pet's microchip number and your contact info put into their system for free. You do not need to buy a yearly subscription with bells and whistles or anything. Don't forget to update your contact information if you move, change phone numbers, vets, etc so if your cat is somehow lost and then found, the cat can find its way back to you.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Subscriptions aren’t necessary but they do offer some nice services if you want them.

One popular service, Home Again, will put out a Lost Pet Alert to all the shelters and vets in your area in case your cat shows up at one of those places. They have a web page to help you make posters for you to print out.

They even pay up to $500 to transport your pet back home if they are found some place away from home.

Pet Microchip for Dogs and Cats | HomeAgain Pet ID & Recovery Service

It only costs about $20 per year but you don‘t have to pay if you don‘t want or can’t afford it.

Once your cat’s microchip is registered in the national database, it will always be in there.

The subscription is basically just “insurance.” :)