Scared this is the End..

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello my kind friends. As some of you know, my baby had a terrifying brush with death in May. She had her first major health decline due to Chronic Kidney Disease. She somehow bounced back...all her values dropped to almost half of what they were. She was spunky again, eating so much food, and most of all...she was talking to me again. She didn't meow when she was sick. She has always talked to me, a calico with the biggest personality in the tiniest body. However since last night, her behavior has changed. Her meow and purr are high pitched, she has stopped clawing our cat post, and her food consumption is slowing down. She just had bloodwork done on Sep 3rd. Her values remain static and only minimally increasing. I have no idea why she is acting like this. She has fluids today, and I'm having them take her vitals as well. She went from being 7.5 pounds and before her hospitalization, 5 pounds. She has continued to slowly lose weight...no matter how much I try to entice her or assist feed her. Her weight has gone down to 4.5 pounds. I'm scared we are reaching the end of her time Earthside. I already called a memorial service...called a few euthanasia places to do it at home...but I'm gutted. How do I know when its time? How do I know I didn't fail her? I told her I would stand with her and fight over 2 years ago when she first got sick...how do I know I couldn't have done more? I love her so much. I love her more than life itself. I don't know what I will do if I lose her. The thought is unbearable. My husband has come to love her as his own...their bond is precious. How do I know we will be okay? This feels like a nightmare. Nothing makes sense anymore...nothing. :sigh::sniffle::bawling2: Below is a photo from brighter days...when her tummy was always full...her purr loud..and no pain. I miss her and she's laying here in front of me. I wish this wasn't real.

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not as good with the comforting words as many others on these boards.

I don't believe you failed her. You know this. She knows this.

My Krista passed away four weeks today. Everyone says it's better to help them cross too early than too late. With Krista, I was sure she had another fight left in her and she went, nearly motionless, into an ICU cage for fluids and antibiotics and passed away alone a few hours later. The thought of that guts me every time. But then if I helped her cross, I'd be gutted by feelings of guilt that maybe I didn't give her enough chances. I don't know that this decision is ever free of guilt and regret. The best advice I got here, for me (and for you it could be different) is, "don't let her death mean more than her life." You will reflect upon her death itself with mixed feelings for quite some time. Please try to recall the wonderful life and pure love you shared with her rather than that complicated, painful moment of transition.

Perhaps the Feline Quality Of Life Scale might help make an objective decision out of a highly subjective experience.
The Feline Quality of Life Scale Helps You Determine If It's Time to Say Goodbye to Your Cat | Catster.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it at all be possible that she is fighting something else? Could she have some other ailment right now that is interfering with her appetite? What does your vet think?

No I don't think you are failing her at all, you have been keeping her alive, healthy, and happy, for the last two years. You are her best friend and she knows that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it at all be possible that she is fighting something else? Could she have some other ailment right now that is interfering with her appetite? What does your vet think?

No I don't think you are failing her at all, you have been keeping her alive, healthy, and happy, for the last two years. You are her best friend and she knows that.
I am unsure, its very unlikely it is something else. I am hoping she feels crummy from dehydration. My only thoughts are her thyroid numbers might be back up or her ear infection is draining her of energy. She is on medication for both. Unfortunately, her vet is out of town today. She had an Internal Medicine doc. I already called the techs and have them a full run down, sent videos of her altered purr, etc. I hear back from them tomorrow. We are about to be headed to her fluid therapy now..She still has the energy to come by my husband and I..

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am unsure, its very unlikely it is something else. I am hoping she feels crummy from dehydration. My only thoughts are her thyroid numbers might be back up or her ear infection is draining her of energy. She is on medication for both. Unfortunately, her vet is out of town today. She had an Internal Medicine doc. I already called the techs and have them a full run down, sent videos of her altered purr, etc. I hear back from them tomorrow. We are about to be headed to her fluid therapy now..She still has the energy to come by my husband and I..

I am so sorry that your family is going through this. Yes, dehydration can make the healthiest cat feel bad. Can you inject her with fluids under her skin? When my cat, Coriander, was sick with kidney disease they showed me how to inject the fluids. I don't know if you are comfortable doing that. And yes, she could have an infection, she could have an upper respiratory disease going on, she might not even be able to smell her food. She should perk up after her fluid therapy. Please let us know.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello my kind friends. As some of you know, my baby had a terrifying brush with death in May. She had her first major health decline due to Chronic Kidney Disease. She somehow bounced back...all her values dropped to almost half of what they were. She was spunky again, eating so much food, and most of all...she was talking to me again. She didn't meow when she was sick. She has always talked to me, a calico with the biggest personality in the tiniest body. However since last night, her behavior has changed. Her meow and purr are high pitched, she has stopped clawing our cat post, and her food consumption is slowing down. She just had bloodwork done on Sep 3rd. Her values remain static and only minimally increasing. I have no idea why she is acting like this. She has fluids today, and I'm having them take her vitals as well. She went from being 7.5 pounds and before her hospitalization, 5 pounds. She has continued to slowly lose weight...no matter how much I try to entice her or assist feed her. Her weight has gone down to 4.5 pounds. I'm scared we are reaching the end of her time Earthside. I already called a memorial service...called a few euthanasia places to do it at home...but I'm gutted. How do I know when its time? How do I know I didn't fail her? I told her I would stand with her and fight over 2 years ago when she first got sick...how do I know I couldn't have done more? I love her so much. I love her more than life itself. I don't know what I will do if I lose her. The thought is unbearable. My husband has come to love her as his own...their bond is precious. How do I know we will be okay? This feels like a nightmare. Nothing makes sense anymore...nothing. :sigh::sniffle::bawling2: Below is a photo from brighter days...when her tummy was always full...her purr loud..and no pain. I miss her and she's laying here in front of me. I wish this wasn't real.
I recently in this past July..had to make that E word decision....I felt just like you're feeling now
And I feel like that today and every time I think...of him...The what ifs....I dont have answers no more today than did aweek ago...Im told it takes time...I do know one thing..my baby Snowball had lost alot of weight and had test ..xrays done...I saw my frail baby...and knew what had to be done....its hard...Hope the best for you and ure precious kitty

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not as good with the comforting words as many others on these boards.

I don't believe you failed her. You know this. She knows this.

My Krista passed away four weeks today. Everyone says it's better to help them cross too early than too late. With Krista, I was sure she had another fight left in her and she went, nearly motionless, into an ICU cage for fluids and antibiotics and passed away alone a few hours later. The thought of that guts me every time. But then if I helped her cross, I'd be gutted by feelings of guilt that maybe I didn't give her enough chances. I don't know that this decision is ever free of guilt and regret. The best advice I got here, for me (and for you it could be different) is, "don't let her death mean more than her life." You will reflect upon her death itself with mixed feelings for quite some time. Please try to recall the wonderful life and pure love you shared with her rather than that complicated, painful moment of transition.

Perhaps the Feline Quality Of Life Scale might help make an objective decision out of a highly subjective experience.
The Feline Quality of Life Scale Helps You Determine If It's Time to Say Goodbye to Your Cat | Catster.
Thank you so much. I just read up on your thread regarding Krista..might I say she was an absolute beautiful girl. I'm so sorry your girl had to go, I know she is waiting for you. Especially with how dedicated you were to her health, its how I am with Enriquetta. I do really like that quote, i've been so absorbed in her not feeling well today that I forget how strong she was and how resilient she was after that hospitalization. I am hoping that her vitals are okay and more than anything I really just want her doctor to give me a call so I can figure out what we need to do going forward. She is a fighter. Thank you again for your kind words and listening to me, that is one of the biggest reasons why I love this community and all of the kind people I have met here.:heartshape:

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your family is going through this. Yes, dehydration can make the healthiest cat feel bad. Can you inject her with fluids under her skin? When my cat, Coriander, was sick with kidney disease they showed me how to inject the fluids. I don't know if you are comfortable doing that. And yes, she could have an infection, she could have an upper respiratory disease going on, she might not even be able to smell her food. She should perk up after her fluid therapy. Please let us know.
Unfortunately I only was able to give her sub Q fluids 3 times because she is very small and extremely skittish, no matter how tightly I tried wrapping her in a towel or blanket or even trying to distract her with food she would not let us give her fluids. Thankfully one of her smaller vet clinics does her fluids for her so she gets them three times a week, 50ML each time due to a heart murmur and her size, but due to the holiday she's two days overdue so I'm wondering if that is a big factor of why she is acting so down. I just arrived at the clinic right now I promise I will keep you guys updated, you all have always been there for me whenever my baby was ill. :angel:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is there is no "ok" after having to make that decision. Losing a pet, especially one with such a close bond, is going to shatter your world no matter how much you think you are prepared for it. It's the price we pay, we take their pain away even knowing it will cause us pain.

Making arrangements for it to be done at home is the best thing you can do, both for her and for you.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I only was able to give her sub Q fluids 3 times because she is very small and extremely skittish, no matter how tightly I tried wrapping her in a towel or blanket or even trying to distract her with food she would not let us give her fluids. Thankfully one of her smaller vet clinics does her fluids for her so she gets them three times a week, 50ML each time due to a heart murmur and her size, but due to the holiday she's two days overdue so I'm wondering if that is a big factor of why she is acting so down. I just arrived at the clinic right now I promise I will keep you guys updated, you all have always been there for me whenever my baby was ill. :angel:

I am sending healing vibes to both of you.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
A
I recently in this past July..had to make that E word decision....I felt just like you're feeling now
And I feel like that today and every time I think...of him...The what ifs....I dont have answers no more today than did aweek ago...Im told it takes time...I do know one thing..my baby Snowball had lost alot of weight and had test ..xrays done...I saw my frail baby...and knew what had to be done....its hard...Hope the best for you and ure precious kitty
There is a comfort in knowing I am not alone, that my feelings are valid. I'm sorry you lost your boy. We lost our boy Sebastian in December. Your boy Snowball was met at the Rainbow Bridge by my Sebastian, he didn't get there alone. Alas, my girl is frail too right now. It pains me knowing our time might be coming to an end...thank you for taking the time to reply friend.:heartshape:

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
The thing is there is no "ok" after having to make that decision. Losing a pet, especially one with such a close bond, is going to shatter your world no matter how much you think you are prepared for it. It's the price we pay, we take their pain away even knowing it will cause us pain.

Making arrangements for it to be done at home is the best thing you can do, both for her and for you.
I believe when her time comes she is going to take a large piece of my heart and soul...She is my own blood, raised her from being the runt of the litter into a beautiful girl with markings that make all her vets mention how gorgeous she is. I will keep trying to remind myself I am doing whats best for her...whatever we decide...I know she will not be alone. She will be loved.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
As an update to all of you sweet souls, her vitals all were in normal range. Including her respiratory which was my main concern. Her tempature was in the normal range too. Heres to hoping the fluids help her feel at least a little better before I can take her to her doctor

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
As an update to all of you sweet souls, her vitals all were in normal range. Including her respiratory which was my main concern. Her tempature was in the normal range too. Heres to hoping the fluids help her feel at least a little better before I can take her to her doctor

All of that is really good news. I think the fluids will really help her. Is there anyway they can give her an injection to bolster her appetite?

Oh, I am sorry, you did say your vet wasn't available until tomorrow.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
All of that is really good news. I think the fluids will really help her. Is there anyway they can give her an injection to bolster her appetite?

Oh, I am sorry, you did say your vet wasn't available until tomorrow.
I was completely unaware that they can give injections in order to aid appetite do you mind telling me a bit more about that? Thank you. I did bring it up in my note to the doctor that I would like to get her on an appetite stimulant just so that she is ingesting more food. My main hope right now is that once we get home, she wants her food because we have a routine of every time after her fluids, she gets home- out of her cage- and immediately wants to scarf down food. :heartshape:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a pretty little girl, beautiful colors. I believe, (can't remember) that appetite stimulants can be given in an injection and pill form. As with anything, the injection works quicker.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a pretty little girl, beautiful colors. I believe, (can't remember) that appetite stimulants can be given in an injection and pill form. As with anything, the injection works quicker.
I have her tattooed on my arm, my most favorite photo of her which is this one. I tell her all the time how beautiful she is and how she is the prettiest girl in the world. I will definitely bring up the appetite stimulant when I speak to her doctor tomorrow, thank you again for the info. :heartshape:

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have her tattooed on my arm, my most favorite photo of her which is this one. I tell her all the time how beautiful she is and how she is the prettiest girl in the world. I will definitely bring up the appetite stimulant when I speak to her doctor tomorrow, thank you again for the info. :heartshape:

Cool picture! She is so pretty- it has been a long time since I have seen a calico whose colors are that vibrant. I had one when I was six and I named her Pie.

I love the markings on your kitty's face.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 She has three spots on her face, one by her nose and two under her chin. I call her my little Marilyn Catroe. She made me fall in love with calicos. Pie is a very cute name. She ate some hard food! And some wet food too. Small victories.