Scared semi feral stray cat hiding for a month

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah we kinda thought it was a kid so it does sound like a baby crying.

I can't see him cry on camera cause he always does when it's dark and the night vision isn't the best.
Yeah he's neutered. Not by me tho probably ages back

Like I said- it sounds like a baby "crying"' it is the sounds a cat makes- cats don't meow to one another to " talk"-this is how they get a humans attention---- as @DeesCats mentioned that she simply acknowledges her cats " calling:" and it seems to satisfy them- that's usually all it takes ,I answer too and then they are quiet ( satisfied)

If its like a howling to be let out then yes,you'd ignore it( is he meowing at the door- do you see in the camera?).... If they simply want to know where you're at- answer

He's nuetered ,right?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You are very sure that the sound is coming from Whiskers? Sometimes when cats sleep and they let out some kind of 'whine' sound like a relieving sigh.

Is it a constant crying sound? Very loud? Could he be meowing to come out? Maybe it's time for him to be out of the room?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

I can't see him cry on camera cause he always does when it's dark and the night vision isn't the best.
Yeah he's neutered. Not by me tho probably ages back
If you can't see him then and he's not going by the door hollering(I'm not going to use the term "crying" becausd he's not crying) then I think if it indeed Whiskers he's talking and expressing something he wants( from you)..... maybe a snack,maybe acknowledgment or even he'd like you to be there...... I'm confident to assure you not to be alarmed

He might want out of the room like tabbytom tabbytom suggested- how long has he been in his safe room now?

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update
Went on vacation and had a friend cat sit whiskers. With my permission, she gave whiskers some tough love. She opened the donut so he couldn't hide in a way that allow progress. Ofc he has other hiding spots, but ones that forced him to see her and realise she isn't a threat. He still hisses when he's out of his box (new hiding spot) but calms down after some slow blinks. He accepts pets and even ate churu out of her hand! She did all of this in 6 days. Cat whisperer she is.

I'm coming back tonight and will try to establish the bond she did. I guess we needed to rip the band aid off.

Will update if I managed to befriend him like she did.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update
Went on vacation and had a friend cat sit whiskers. With my permission, she gave whiskers some tough love. She opened the donut so he couldn't hide in a way that allow progress. Ofc he has other hiding spots, but ones that forced him to see her and realise she isn't a threat. He still hisses when he's out of his box (new hiding spot) but calms down after some slow blinks. He accepts pets and even ate churu out of her hand! She did all of this in 6 days. Cat whisperer she is.

I'm coming back tonight and will try to establish the bond she did. I guess we needed to rip the band aid off.

This is good to hear!

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I guess we were just enabling his fear by allowing him to hide so much. Ofc I don't mean force him out completely but sometimes a little nudge is needed out of his comfort zone so that he can understand that it's not as bad as he thought it was.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah I guess we were just enabling his fear by allowing him to hide so much. Ofc I don't mean force him out completely but sometimes a little nudge is needed out of his comfort zone so that he can understand that it's not as bad as he thought it was.
Yes, once he's more or less used to the place, less hiding place is good but place a cardboard box with his towels inside for him to use a a hiding place as they do need some place to hide in times of loud noises or thunderstorms.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update

Sounds good,if it is so

I don't know your " friend" and I do not want to sound negative but I'm just wondering if you can be sure that's what transpired?If so- great and it's good news

I'll tell you why I asked so you'll understand my suspicious mind,lol I've had so many people over the years say:" oh,well I pet that feral,he likes me" which turned out to be untrue,they didn't even come close.I have no idea why some people say such things but it's happened many times when I got hired to access-good old cameras! So I'm only asking ,I wouldn't want to see you taking away Whiskers refuge before he's ready- do you see why I'm asking how well you know the person who cat sat?

Can't hurt to ask,right?The girl here at my own Condo Community thst originally left treats out for Timmy asked a neighbor if shed put out food while she went away for a week because this neighbor said he comes to her door and she pets him- Timmy was highly unlikey to even come out from the bushes so she told me about it before I took over - I reviewd the cctv- never seen Timmy once the entire weekend- weird huh?Just want you to know I am not questioning to be a killjoy- I'm sure you know whst I mean,right?

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have video evidence of her petting him.

Sounds good,if it is so

I don't know your " friend" and I do not want to sound negative but I'm just wondering if you can be sure that's what transpired?If so- great and it's good news

I'll tell you why I asked so you'll understand my suspicious mind,lol I've had so many people over the years say:" oh,well I pet that feral,he likes me" which turned out to be untrue,they didn't even come close.I have no idea why some people say such things but it's happened many times when I got hired to access-good old cameras! So I'm only asking ,I wouldn't want to see you taking away Whiskers refuge before he's ready- do you see why I'm asking how well you know the person who cat sat?

Can't hurt to ask,right?The girl here at my own Condo Community thst originally left treats out for Timmy asked a neighbor if shed put out food while she went away for a week because this neighbor said he comes to her door and she pets him- Timmy was highly unlikey to even come out from the bushes so she told me about it before I took over - I reviewd the cctv- never seen Timmy once the entire weekend- weird huh?Just want you to know I am not questioning to be a killjoy- I'm sure you know whst I mean,right?

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back and slow blinked at him. Not sure if he gets it. I'll try again tomorrow

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: he's still scared but progress has been made. I've pet him with my hand twice and fed him churu. He's terrified for my husband tho, so he's doing the slow blinking and all. He still doesn't really leave the box when we're with him. Trying to feed him churu slightly outside the box so he understands that outside the box with humans is safe.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: he's still scared but progress has been made. I've pet him with my hand twice and fed him churu. He's terrified for my husband tho, so he's doing the slow blinking and all. He still doesn't really leave the box when we're with him. Trying to feed him churu slightly outside the box so he understands that outside the box with humans is safe.
Awww,just takes time
Have you taken any photos you can share? Would love to see Whiskers🤓

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed him churu today and moved it slightly further and further each time so he'll get out of the box to eat. He will retreat the moment the churu supply stops. He's improving each day.

I'm going to try feeding him wet food today. He has been on a kibble diet, which I don't find very healthy. Hope he eats his food immediately and likes it. Will also supplement with kibble after in the event he doesn't eat it.
Awww,just takes time
Have you taken any photos you can share? Would love to see Whiskers🤓

Attachments

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm maybe he doesn't like the wet food. He took a bite and went away. I forgot to add some kibble in it so he'll get used to it. I'll leave it for another hour and replace it with his usual kibble if he doesn't eat it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous,his eyes are beautiful

Nice,ears up,tucked paw,he's checking you out and looks pretty comfy there......

I see many fluffed out photos sent to me with flatted ears and paws in "ready to go" position ..... he's just leary,coming along very well!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm maybe he doesn't like the wet food. He took a bite and went away. I forgot to add some kibble in it so he'll get used to it. I'll leave it for another hour and replace it with his usual kibble if he doesn't eat it.
Took quite some time for my Timmy to eat " food" -he lived on Temptation treats for 6yrs..that's whst I did,put a dollop under the treats & gradually mixed actual cat kibble in with treats- he was very malnourished and now he free feeds dry and loves his wet meals twice a day( took a long time)

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Threw away the wet food and put down the dry food. He ate it immediately lol

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: whiskers is still fairly scared of me. I can see from the camera that he's in a relax laze but when I come into the room, he kinda sits in a loaf, or something even with the front paws up standing. He does blink back to me but sometimes after cleaning his room (softly) he is too scared to eat churu.

I'll just keep on spending time with him. He doesn't have a locked gaze on me anymore. He does look away.