Scared of going outside?

Andi D.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten, 7 months old, and she’s always been an indoor cat and I plan to keep her that way. But I wanted to potentially harness train her for enrichment, but while she’ll sit still to get the harness on she won’t take a step outside, she’s scared of it and tries to get back inside immediately. She even does this when I open my balcony door to water my plants, she’ll stand by the door but won’t step out of it. Is there a way to make her more comfortable with going outside or should I focus on other forms of enrichment?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my 3 cats are interested in going outside. Especially my cat that was a stray for 2 years. I do wish I could harness train them but I dont think they want to. Is she micro chipped? If she does get interested in the outdoors, will she be more likely to sneak outside? I have bird feeders, maybe having something like that will interest her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also be very aware that if you aren't super disciplined and organized about it, harness walking can turn into a PITA where the cat begs to go out all the time. You need to do it the same time of day, have a ritual, not give in at other times, that sort of thing. Its not well suited to "its quarrantime, I'm home all the time, the weather is nice, lets go". Cats don't get that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't care to go outside for whatever reason and you shouldn't' force them to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andi D.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None of my 3 cats are interested in going outside. Especially my cat that was a stray for 2 years. I do wish I could harness train them but I dont think they want to. Is she micro chipped? If she does get interested in the outdoors, will she be more likely to sneak outside? I have bird feeders, maybe having something like that will interest her.
She is microchipped, and it would be hard for her to sneak out since I live in a third floor apartment. A bird feeder is a good idea! Her favorite toys all have feathers, and she could look at birds on the balcony. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andi D.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats just don't care to go outside for whatever reason and you shouldn't' force them to.
That’s fair! I’ll try again in a year and if she still hates it then we know she’s just an indoor lady.