Scared cat

Willownightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick question, we got 2 kittens last year a brother and sister, the boy became mine and is loving and trusting but the girl is afraid of everything. Anytime you try to get near her she runs, except for at night when she oddly wants all the effection and love. We are looking for a new home for her but I want to know what's up with her and if there is a way to make her become a little more friendly for a new owner I managed to snap a picture while she was sleeping

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was a feral kitten, it’s possible that she was never socialized enough to feel totally safe and comfortable around people. Usually time and patience helps in the situation like this and they eventually warm up, but in rare cases they never do.

Do they have to be separated? It’s heartbreaking. If she’s afraid of people, I’m guessing she takes great comfort in being with her brother.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you came here for support and advice regarding your female kitten. Some cats take an extended period of time/patience before they trust you and are accustomed to their new home. I know you mentioned bringing her home last year so uprooting her now to a new owner might be a difficult transition for her. Is she bonded with the male kitten? All cats are individuals, some more affectionate and loving, as you mentioned with your male. Here are several helpful TCS Articles that discuss the types of issues you are describing:
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – Cat Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – Cat Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – Cat Articles

Regarding your question about trying to make her friendly for a new owner that is really up to her. Perhaps she would be happiest in a home as a single cat or with someone who is home all day. There are so many variables that it would be difficult to know for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willownightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that we can't afford to keep her which if we could we would keep her but we have 2 other cats 2 dogs and a parrot it's hard to afford the vet we were given her without say she is a good cat just scared and thank you for showing me those articles they are informative

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. neely neely posted the same articles I was thinking of. Hopefully there'll be something in them to help with your female kitten. :redheartpump:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure its the same thing, but new cats often decide you are trustworthy only in certain spots at certain times at first. Usually spots where you are quiet and still. We have even had multiple people say the first spot/time was when they were taking a bath; cat perches on the side of the tub and wants affection. A spot on the couch when you are doing phone stuff or watching tv, or in the bed when you lie down to read or whatnot would be more usual. So I wonder if what is going on is some variant of this process. Earlier in the day you are rushing around doing stuff, but at night you settle down to do whatever and aren't walking around. Could that be it? If so, I might have some ideas for you or to suggest to the new owner.

Willownightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. neely neely posted the same articles I was thinking of. Hopefully there'll be something in them to help with your female kitten. :redheartpump:
I just tried to click on it to see what they wrote but it said they limit who can see it

Willownightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she was a feral kitten, it’s possible that she was never socialized enough to feel totally safe and comfortable around people. Usually time and patience helps in the situation like this and they eventually warm up, but in rare cases they never do.

Do they have to be separated? It’s heartbreaking. If she’s afraid of people, I’m guessing she takes great comfort in being with her brother.
I don't mind her being here and it does hurt me to find her a new home because they do have a incredible bond but with so many animals in the house it gets really expensive there is a lot of information I didn't put into the question I asked but to quickly sum it up last year my cousins baby momma came to visit and one day she came back with 2 kittens I took the boy from her since she couldn't really take care of him and the girl went to another women that was living in the house along with us but she soon left and stuck the kitten on us we soon found out that the female kitten was very scared of everything and even after a year it's taken a lot of work for her to get to where she is comfortable being pet at night when everyone is tired

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just tried to click on it to see what they wrote but it said they limit who can see it.
I think that's because you may need to have a specific number of posts - maybe a minimum of 20. You can ask this question in the forum "Site Help."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise