Scampers throwing up

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
Our girl kitty Scampers gave us a scare. Last Wed nite one of our 3 inside cats was throwing up, but we did not know which one. Then Thurs morning (I'm at work) my husband sees Scampers throw up and it is liquid that is dark, the color of her food. He saw her eat and then she threw up what she just ate. So he tried to catch her to take her to the vet and she hid in the house. Friday morning I was off work and she threw up more liquid and I found her and she let me catch her. She was not her self, just sittng and staring. WHen we took her to the vet she was very dehydrated and he put her on an IV and took xrays to look for blockage. WHen we called about her Friday afternoon, she had not thrown up and the xrays were fine and the vet wanted to keep her over the weekend. I called Saturday and they gave her food and she still did not throw up. When I picked her up Monday afternoon she was so loving and the staff at the vet just feel in love with her. He told me she was very dehydrated, no blockage and sometimes cats stomachs will go into spasms when they eat. He also did blood work on her and kidneys and liver checked ok. I was so happy she is ok and back to her old self again. He wanted me to keep her byherself until she pooped. Also when I brought her home, Nemo was scared of her (her brother) and BK was hissing at her. So in the room she went, a back tv room and my SS stayed with her and she just loved on him and she did poop, looked ok. So day two we let the other cats go in the back room if they wanted and this morning all the cats were getting along again. They did not like the vet smell that was on her.
So to let everyone know if your cat is throwing up please take them to the vet because it does not take long for them to become dehydrated. I am so thankful that I have a caring vet who loves animals.
Clara

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clara,

It was good of you to get her to the vet and get her the treatment she needed. Is she long-haired? She could have hairballs. You can start giving her laxatone about twice a week. Take a small amount on your fingertip, and place it on her paw, then rub it in. If you don't rub it in, she won't lick it off and will just fling it everywhere.

And yes your are right, vomiting can lead to dehydration, sometimes it is very scary how quickly a cat can become dehydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I was wondering about hairballs, she is a short hair cat and the throw up was only liquid, no hair. BK is a long haired cat and he does throw up just hair balls no liquid. I got some laxatone from the vet and figured now is a good time for all three to take it.
Yes the dehaydration did not take long for her. She was the runt of the litter and is still a very thin cat, long and lean. She just turned a year old. I call her my sweetie girl.
Clara

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww! I am so glad everything turned out ok
Thank you for the advice, I didn't know that they became dehydrated so quickly. It is good information to know in case Dori gets sick.